C500 to fall behind imo in camera quality!

Guest Helix

Guest Helix

After hearing all this 'hype' about the Orange C500 and it's impressive size, I can't help notice it's one possible flaw that will cause it fall behind in public appeal. It is, it's camera. I hear Orange are staying with the 0.3 megapixel camera in the current E200!

After picking up today the new Sony Ericsson K700 and having a play, it's camera capturing quality appears leagues ahead of the current E200 (Not knowing it's resolution - sorry). I also hear they intend to release the S700 with a 1.3 Megapixel camera boasting a huge 2.3 inch 262k colour screen. I know the E200's screen is impressive but still...

And now i hear Nokia are releasing the 7610 featuring a 1 megapixel camera as well! The C500 looks impressive physically, but the camera on my E200 gets used a lot and will be a decisive feature to look out for in my next upgrade.

Guest awarner [MVP]

Best to go for the MPX220 or 100 then as both will have

an 1.3 MP camera.

But this is just the start of things to come as the megapixel

rate will increase pretty fast over the next few years.

Guest midnight

Frozeh, you have to remember, not everyone buys a phone for its camera abilities (i certainly dont care, i'd rather use a 'proper' digital camera anyday). And seeing as companies like Pantech and Curitel are putting 2mp camera's in as standard, kinda makes you wonder why you'd buy a phone with 1.3mp :D

All MS Smartphones so far announced are business devices, so maybe they just feel that people will only use the camera very occasionally, so, to keep costs down, only integrate a very simple camera, makes sense to me. I certainly bet that the C500 will be much cheaper than either of the Moto's and the latest SE phones :D

Guest Paul [MVP]

I kind of agree with midnight, until there is real digital camera quality in a phone, the 640x480 res is probably OK for me.

Time will tell if the quality is improved in the C500 by the new software. I CAN tell you however that the viewfinder update is massively faster, and it takes the picture as soon as you press the button :D

P

Guest Helix

I can see where you are comming from Midnight with the cost cutting, I suppose my opinion is bit personal - I just like a quality camera plus the benefits of a Smartphone. The size alone is drawing me to it, how can they fit all that the E200 does in around the size of a 8210!?

Guest Dr Who

Never seen the point of having a camera in a phone until 3G rolls out. The optics are always going to be MASSIVELY inferior to a digital camera, so even with a 4MP resolution the image is never going to be great. And even with 3G the lower the res the lower the bandwidth - unless I get free data I would rather send a low res image with more frames than a high res that jumps about.

I can't wait until this is released - I am fed up with my E100 turning itself off (still after 2 handset replacements and a battery replacement - plus side I have a brand new phone and handset). I am guessing it will have bugs but at least they will be new - a change is as good as a rest and all that. Unfortunately I need to upgrade by mid-August so I am on a white-knuckle ride here until I see a definite release date.......