WM2003: Keypad lights

Guest popanot

Guest popanot

Since upgrading to WM2003 I noticed the keypad lights only stay on for a few seconds. It seems they stayed on longer w/2002 so I was wondering if there's a registry tweak that can be made to keep them on for a longer period of time? Or is this something that needs to done at the ROM level?

Guest pembo

This is quoted directly from another thread

in the registry: HKLMSystemCurrentControlSetControlPowerActivityTimersUserActivity  

There is a value called Timeout that is set to 2 (2 seconds I guess) I set it to 30, and now the keyboard stays on a long time (much more than 30 seconds). I am sure it has some other effects too, don't know them yet except that it also affects the external LCD (which now stays on for 30 seconds after I flip closed the phone... that's something I wanted too, so it's a good side effect  )

Hope this helps.

Guest popanot

Well, that certainly fixed the problem (I set mine to a value of 20). But be forewarned, this also overrides the display timeout setting in the Power Management panel. No big deal to me since I don't use my phone a lot and usually have it plugged into a charger when in my car and at home, but it will definitely impact battery resources if you're not careful. Especially if you have it set to a high value...

Thanks for the tip, pembo! :-)

Guest awarner [MVP]
It doesn't help me!

Mine still don't light.

Any ideas?

Did your handset start to make a buzzing noise before the keypad stopped

being lit?

This is a known but not too common hardware problem.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest lafester

uh oh. mine started buzzing today and i noticed the kepad lighting is not working. strange since i have used it fine for several weeks now. nothing unusual happened to the phone today that would have caused it.

if this is a known problem is there more info out there somewhere?

thanks, chris

Guest awarner [MVP]

It is a known fault, what the actual cause is ie poor connection or component failure, I am not sure of because I have never encountered it myself.