SPV C500 Review in What Cellphone Magazine

Guest Simon Desser

Guest Simon Desser

The C500 gets another good review, this time in "What Cellphone" magazine in the UK.

Once again, battery life and improved camera capabilities are commended.

One problem they mention, that will hopefully get fixed is, "the speech sounded slightly garbled, as if listening to a radio that wasn't quite tuned in correctly." However, it's important to note that it was a pre-production sample, with software more like that of the E200.

On the whole, they're impressed, in particular with the looks and size and weight reductions :P

(One thing I hope they got wrong, is they say it has a 132Mhz processor :? )

Conclusion.jpg

Specs & Verdict.jpg

Handling Fault.jpg

Camera.jpg

Performance.jpg

C500 Front & Side.jpg

WhatCell Front Cover.jpg

Guest Crispy
One thing I hope they got wrong, is they say it has a 132Mhz processor :?

Ya, that would be pretty anoying, as the phone otherwise would be close to perfect (except design of course, but hei) ...

:P

Guest morpheus2702

Other highlights:

“Navigation through options is made possible with a strangely shaped five-way control’

‘Three further switches are provided on the side of the phone… a key provide fast access and an additional shutter release for the camera’

‘Unlike its predecessor the C500 is not provided with a neat desktop cradle for charging and syncing with a PC. Instead you get a separate USB lead and travel charger.’

‘The phone will come with a 32Mb card… preloaded with a selection of trial software… ClearVue, Fizz Traveller, Berlitz phrasebook, Smart2Go, Time Out City guide to Athens, Jeffrey (animations)’

‘Self portraits are facilitated using a small circular mirror next to the lens’

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

The 220 is going to flop if they don't get their arses in gear now. It had massive potential (still dont like the looks...) but theres been nothing about release dates or previews.

C500 all the way for me! :P

Guest ajb3000

I can see a lot of people (i.e. all current SPV owners) being annoyed with their choice to use Mini SD instead of the ones we've all already gone out and bought.

Guest Helix

I wonder what it looks like from the rear :P the front is sexeh. To be honest the size will do it for me over many other phones - I'm getting tired of the brick shaped features of the E200.

I agree with Monolithix, the 220 had good hopes and I was expecting something a little more impressive than what I've already heard. Some time to go yet tho...

Guest winterdude

hay dudes,

one of the things that was said (i think in this article) was when scrolling through the menu you have to select the more item to bring up menu page 2. This brought back memorys of why things did not quite sit well with me while navigating round the E200

do we know of a specific reason for this call in the interface design instead of just scrolling. Is their an alternative for of navigation every one else uses this i just never found out about

this is probably just a me thing and i will try the C/E500 again as i never really could put my finger on why the interface felt a bit long winded(would be interested to know how users adapted to the e200 over the past half year)

(spooky if you look real close we can see the CE initals have crept back in to the platform)

Guest Manawydan
Not for me, everytime I look at it I get a little sick. Takes a while to recover again.
Got to agree with you there. The design looks like some 70's throwback. Actually, if I look at one of my old Analogue phones, apart from the screen, they look quite similar.

:D

However, it is an upgrade!

:P

Guest morpheus2702
I agree with Monolithix, the 220 had good hopes and I was expecting something a little more impressive than what I've already heard. Some time to go yet tho...

This is amazing... two phones that no one person at MoDaCo has at present or has used for any length of time! And still with the 'well I think the C500 is better, or the MPx220 is better...'

Unless any of you are psychic, how the hell do you know the most important thing about either handset - how they function and behave on a day-to-day basis?

I would have thought that certain people would have learnt that evangeliscising about phones weeks/months ahead of their release is a very stupid thing to do. Outside of the way the phones look, can you tell how stable the OS is going to be, just how good/bad the camera is, hell even if that new joystick design works or not?

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Just my opinion.

I personally have never had any of the problems some seem to claim at having to constantly replace their handset or having 20 lock ups a day. My phone works fine and i would expect the next batch to as well.

Guest morpheus2702

Yes, but by the same token you accept that a lot of people have had plenty of handset lockup problems?

See, when the C500 first showed, my gut reaction was 'oh what the fcuk have HTC come up with, it's an ugly pig of a handset and I wouldn't touch it'. But as time has gone on, listed features and not opinions have made me think more on what my next handset is going to be.

What counts, and whether I stick with a MS smartphone at all is how well the OS works. Sick of typing a SMS and a egg timer appering, sick of T9 problems. When someone can give definitive answers on these current bugbears then we can enter into 'my handset's bigger than yous' debates.

Guest Monolithix [MVP]
Yes, but by the same token you accept that a lot of people have had plenty of handset lockup problems?

I do yes, but i'm not buying for them ;p

That is besides my original point though, which was that Moto seem to have no PR whatsoever on their new handsets, yet everyone knows they exist. The C500 however is plastered over every website and magazine around, and the reviews are good.

My main reason for personally liking the C500 is the form factor, imho the 220 is a big ugly beast.

Guest midnight
hay dudes,

one of the things that was said (i think in this article) was when scrolling through the menu you have to select the more item to bring up menu page 2. This brought back memorys of why things did not quite sit well with me while navigating round the E200  

do we know of a specific reason for this call in the interface design instead of just scrolling. Is their an alternative for of navigation every one else uses this i just never found out about  

this is probably just a me thing and i will try the C/E500  again as i never really could put my finger on why the interface felt a bit long winded(would be interested to know how users adapted to the e200 over the past half year)

(spooky if you look real close we can see the CE initals have crept back in to the platform)

number pressing is MUCH faster than scrolling through everything with the joystick (eg on my phone to get to media player i just press Programs then 996 and up pops media player, starts loading in under 1 second, i cant see how thats long winded :P). You are using the number pad to select the each app/more arent you???? :D

Guest InMovil

Hello everyone this is my first post but ive been reading this forum for 6 months because you have very good contacts and fresh info. Well i have a lil question, ive heard the Orange released a pack with the E200 unlocked some time ago for a reasonable price. Im wondering if Orange is planing to do the same with the E500 or just keep it in exclisive with his carrier. I want to know because im from Spain and here Orange isnt present, but well i could travel to France in case Orange releases an "Unlocked E500 pack" (or maybe unlock it myself when it is possible). Thanks in advance, i really have big expectations in this phone.

Guest winterdude

number pressing is MUCH faster than scrolling through everything with the joystick (eg on my phone to get to media player i just press Programs then 996 and up pops media player, starts loading in under 1 second, i cant see how thats long winded :P). You are using the number pad to select the each app/more arent you???? :D

what faster than the C500 supper scroll sick :lol:

i can see it being a fair bit faster this way but i would have apreceated liked to the choice :wink:

Guest midnight

yeh, trust me, number pressing is MUCH faster than using the joystick, theres no comparison

the c500 doesnt have a scrolling wheel or nothing, its just like a normal joystick to be honest, just tilts up, down, left and right. just that its a weird shape thats all :P

Guest Paul [MVP]

Well, it tilts up and down, and does a really odd left and right click, the action click is really strange too!

Looking forward to getting one and getting used to it!

P

Guest Helix

This is amazing... two phones that no one person at MoDaCo has at present or has used for any length of time! And still with the 'well I think the C500 is better, or the MPx220 is better...'

Unless any of you are psychic, how the hell do you know the most important thing about either handset - how they function and behave on a day-to-day basis?

I would have thought that certain people would have learnt that evangeliscising about phones weeks/months ahead of their release is a very stupid thing to do. Outside of the way the phones look, can you tell how stable the OS is going to be, just how good/bad the camera is, hell even if that new joystick design works or not?

Thats why I said...

Some time to go yet tho...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.