i600 2003 update now officially available

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul [MVP]

MSMobiles is reporting that the Samsung i600 update to Smartphone 2003 is now officially available!

Samsung and Verizon Wireless are the first ever that releaese OFFICIALLY the ROM upgrade to Windows Mobile 2003 for Smartphone for a smartphone powered previously only with Smartphone 2002 software! It is usable in Samsung i600 phone (CDMA 1x phone) that is being sold by Verizon Wireless in USA.  

SYSTEM and EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS  

Supported Microsoft Windows OS: 98SE, ME, 2000, or XP  

40 MB of free hard disk space  

Microsoft ActiveSync v3.7  

Samsung USB Drivers (available for download on the OS Upgrade web page)  

Available USB Port  

CD-ROM drive  

Samsung SPH-i700 or SCH-i600 Handset and Desktop Charger/Sync Cradle with power adapter.

You can grab the file from here...

Enjoy!

:P

P

Guest nickcornaglia

Seems there is an i700 update there as well. I have friends with both. (Both my old devices). I'll tell them right away.

Guest AbMagFab

It says I need a specific S/W version on the phone, which I don't have. It's close, but not exact.

It says you need:

S:i600.04.V.W123

S:i600.04.V.WK05

I have:

S:i600.04.V.WL24.13192

What should I do?

(It also says my phone number isn't a valid Verizon phone number, which is silly.)

Guest Bishop

Yarg!

What if your software version is "i600.04.V.WL24.13192"?

I had to upgrade to fix the CallerID. Does that now preclude me from the win2003 upgrade?

Guest AbMagFab

Talked to a Verizon guy, and he said he might have to ship me a new phone since my version number is wrong.

I've done a hard-reset, and I've tried running through the upgrade, and it just sits at 0% while sucking 99% of my CPU. I've tried breaking the upgrade with a new hard-reset, but I fear my phone is now dead dead.

Fun fun.

It looks like the 1+ year of testing they did with this thing wasn't enough.

Guest AbMagFab

Okay, it didn't fry my phone, but it didn't work either.

How rediculous that they release an upgrade that doesn't appear to work with a critical patch they released!

Guest RushMobius

There are 2 major issues with the update...

1) They didn't anticipate load on the servers. Many folks are getting

horrendous download rates, with incomplete downloads

2) Related...the Update tool DOES NOT VERIFY THE ROM IMAGE!!!!!

My download look complete, but was aparrently a bit smaller than it

should have been, ran through the Update, and now they get to send

me a new phone.

Guest Bishop

After bouncing around customer service a bit, I have been told that I have to go to a store and have them do a "pst" upgrade.

I'll post again after I have done so.

Guest michalopoulosgk

The site for the download ofthe i600 update became congested almost immediately. I got on it at 3 pm today (Monday) and it was very slow. The first file (Upgrade Tool) was delivered incomplete. The second file took about 1.5 hours. I tried to get on it again after 5 pm to complete the Upgrade Tool download and it was impossible. They have a posted message saying that due to very high demand they cannot deliver the upgrade without improving the server, which they are actively trying to accomplish. I am not sure who "they" are because as soon as the site is accessed it gives a message stating that the software is provided from a third party site. As a word of hair-raising caution, the upgrade pdf states that "all personal information will be lost" and that every sensitive item should be backed up. The worst part of the (so far incomplete) experience was that the upgrade does NOT work with ActiveSync 3.7.1. If you have it on (and I believe that most of us do) it has to be deinstalled and replaced by the older version 3.7. That was in itself a thriller and a half. To install 3.7, all traces of 3.7.1 need to be removed. The Control Panel Add/Remove programs does NOT do it. You have to search for an .exe file that I found on a web site. When those (all 5 of them!) were removed, I was then able to install the 3.7 version. I have not finished so far, as I am waiting for the website to open in order to complete the "Upgrade Tool" download. More to come....

Guest magic7s

I haven't been watching this board for months, but by chance I checked it today. I have been waiting for this upgrade for quite a while now. I was so excited. I went to the link and it asked me for my vzw number. It told me that I did not have a valid number. I am assuming that it is because I have a "ported" number from Sprint. I used my roommates number who got her number from vzw. That worked. When the d/l page came up I got a big disclaimer about how I should only click once and it would put me in que to download. I am still waiting for the d/l to start. I checked my ActiveSync version and by luck it is 3.7. So as soon as it starts.....WOW look at that, it just started. Not real fast but I am getting the UpgradeTool. If I get a chance I will upload the file to my website and let others get it from there.

Guest Kinsbane

I was excited to see this upgrade had come about.

After reading others' troubles, I can wait till all the bullshit gets sorted out.

Guest magic7s

Well... I got an error at the end of the upgrade. It said that part of the upgrade did not complete. It told me to remove it from the cradle and restart. I had to remove the batt to turn off because it was stuck in "upgrade mode". I started the phone and it took a *VERY* long time to start. (5 min at least). Then it came up on Win 2003. Everything looks good. I am playing with the new features. Can anyone point out all the new features?

Guest RichChrisB

Same deal with me but now I can't sync. This is pretty poor for being tested for like 2 years. Unbelievable. Thank you Verizon. :?

Okay, it shut down and said it wouldn't work right at the end. But it completely works and I got to sync after a restart. Working great, getting ready to download some 2003 Home Screens.

UPdate: LOVE IT! AWESOME

Guest amanson

For me the upgrade was a little shaky, but it worked. I uninstalled my version of ActiveSync 3.7.1 (because of what I read on some forums here) and installed version 3.7. I carefully went through the process up to the end. I got an error that the upgrade was incomplete and that I needed to run it again. When I restarted the phone, I could see that SP2003 was installed after the long reboot. Everything looked fine. I went to my 'Phone Settings' and looked at the 'Version' that was on my phone. The PDA software had been updated, but the Phone software had not been updated. So, I reran the same software that I had downloaded for the upgrade. This time, everything went through fine and the upgrade said it was successful. I confirmed this when I restarted my phone by looking again at the 'Version'. This time it showed the correct PDA and Phone software versions.

Guest bicski

I was going to wait, but of course I didn't, I had the registry update and 3.7 and am very good at directions....but zzzt, &^%%%/!!!

got an error saying that the install failed and to try again, but when I do the computer won't recognize the phone is in the cradle and won't let me continue.

Phone is on its way back to Verizon for pst installation.

We will see.

***Additional Post- when I got back to the store the tech had taken the battery out and in then restarted, he then showed me that the software had been upgraded, by checking the profiles.

When I got back home, I noticed that the phone update was not complete, so I reran the upgrade wizard and it worked the second time around.

Make sure to remove the battery and restart if you have issues, then run the update again.

Guest RichChrisB

Well, I checked my phone software version and it is not correct. So I called and was told you had to have some sort of additional features that cost extra per month to get it to work or go in the store and pay 15 bucks. What is the idea with that? Anybody else know what they are talking about or if they (as usual) have no idea what they are talking about? Thanks.

To Answer my own question for others:

It worked on the third try with the WHO4 software and Verizon tech support once again has no clue what they are talking about. Just keep on trying, it will work eventually. Good luck.

Guest mykinsw

I was going to install the upgrade until I read one of the update notes that said VoiceSignal would not be able to be reinstalled. When driving I use VoiceSignal all the time. I called Samsung and spoke to a support rep who confirmed that VoiceSignal would not be able to migrate to 2003, however more importantly she told me that the upgrade posted by Verizon was not authorized by Samsung and that they are experiencing failures at the rate of 3 out of 5. Most of the failures required that the phone get sent back to be fix. She said that they are working hard to complete the 2003 upgrade and convinced me to wait. I decided that it wasn't worth the risk. I'll wait for the BS to get sorted out as well

Guest tcwatkins
I was going to install the upgrade until I read one of the update notes that said VoiceSignal would not be able to be reinstalled.  When driving I use VoiceSignal all the time.  I called Samsung and spoke to a support rep who confirmed that VoiceSignal would not be able to migrate to 2003,l

Huh? It's on there. It even has a "quick dial" feature.

Guest amanson

Yes, Voice Signal is definately on 2003. Maybe what they meant is that your recordings do not transfer over. You may need to re-record everything.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest synapse

Hi-

I tried installing the upgrade and it must not have been the full download. Now it is stuck on a white screen and I can't even get it to show up connected so activesync starts and I can try it again. Is there anything I can do to get it back to 2002 or anything usable? I would really appreciate a quick reply. Thanks!

-Dan

Guest synapse

Actually, I took it to Verizon and they were somehow able to do it. They

also upgraded it to 2003 but I am not sure if both the Phone and PDA were

upgraded since it is a different version than what the upgrade instructions

said it would be. This is what I have now:

PDA

S:i600.04.V.EX18.13349

EBoot:04.11

Phone

S:i600.04 V:XE18

The instructions said it should be

PDA

S:i600.03.V.XE18.13349

EBoot:04.11

Phone

S:i600.03 V:XE18

Is it the 2003 version?

Thanks-

-Dan

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.