Windows XP professional vs Home edition

Guest tefal la

Guest tefal la

After the drop in price and increased battery life of the Ipod I thought it was about time to get one.

As I was about to hit the confirm order button I realised that I need Xp. I currently have Me.

So looked into getting Xp and found two editions and the difference seems to be pretty much seems down to extra admin tools in the professional edition.

My question is it worth the extra outlay. I use wifi, if that makes a difference.

Also as I am now completely sold on the C/E500 do smartphones link better with either edition.

By the way congrats on the 50k the site is very informative.

Guest Stuart P

Basic differences between home and professional...

Professional can do:

1. File encryption or compression. Files can be encrypted or compressed on-the-fly by windows.

2. Multilingual interface. Change the interface if english isn't your native language.

3. Enhanced (= more complicated!) file & folder security. With the right preparation, you can set extremely fine control over users' permissions to access different data.

4. Can join a domain-based network. Home edition can only join a workgroup (peer to peer windows network).

If you don't need any of these four, stick with Home edition.

Stu

Guest beersoft

the main difference for the average user is about £70

xp pro does come with more things to break, but home is alright

later

Owen

• 1 month later...

As well as the differences mentioned above there are 2 features in pro I find very handy, sadly missing from home.

Remote desktop - very useful tool, although you can use VNC or similar instead so not that essential.

IIS (internet information services)

Very handy for developing ASP or ASP.NET websites.