mpeg video bitrate settings for converting to the phone

Guest Will Hay

Guest Will Hay

I pretend to be good at video editing in my spare time, and understanding the basics figured if I create a low quality clip of my little boy I could simply transfer via the sync facility and watch on my phone.

Nope!

I used a test mpeg1 file at around 400kb/sec and the file wasnt't visible on my phone, yet played fine on my computer using windows media player.

I'm therefore guessing the transfer doesn't convert it to a suitable format and secondly it needs to be a specific type before I transfer it to my phone.

I'd like to have a few clips of my two children on my phone (you know, for those long days in the office when I should be working!) so would be graetful if someone could point me to whichsettings I need to use.

Many thanks,

Will

Guest Rob.P

Never tried going for a specific bitrate, was always concentrating on the size it would come out at, in all cases I used Variable Bit Rate (VBR) rather than Constant Bit Rate (CBR).

What prog are you using to play the video on your device and what prog are you using to compress it?

Guest Cybertronic

You should use avi file format along with it being compressed with divx as it allows smaller file sizes, to play this kind of format, download Beta player here :P

Guest Rob.P

Can't remember exactly whether the E200 media player will play MPEG video I know the old SPV didn't and we had to install PocketMVP to play MPEG and DivX files.

Trying going for basic settings and compress it using Windows Media Video format to see what your results are like.

I usually use VirtualDub to video encode, have attached the settings file for thsi prog that another member posted many, many months ago when we were all playing with video on the original SPV. V.Dub is free to download by the way.

If you wanna stick with with what you are using then I'd definately suggest a lower bitrate than 400, try 28 and work your way up, 50-75 should be a good range for the type of device it is.

SPV v2.zip

Guest Will Hay

Thanks folks.

I'm familiar with Vdub, used it for years but prefer TMPGEnc for encoding :P

I'd be intereste to see the results of a DivX vs. streaming test, maybe one for later!

Thanks again,

Will

Guest shaun

Hi Will

I have converted a VHS Video of our TV advert (i Work for a big UK Charity) into mpg format and it plays really well on my E200. I have used Windows Media Encoder V9 here are the setings

Audio encoding mode: CBR

Video encoding mode: CBR

Audience: 77.19 Kbps

Audio codec: Windows Media Audio 9

Audio format: 10 kbps, 11 kHz, mono CBR

Video codec: Windows Media Video V7

Video bit rate: 60.17 Kbps

Video size: 160 x 120

Frame rate: 8 fps

Key frame: 2 s

Image quality: 0

Buffer size: Default

I have the customer settings in a saved file, If you download Windows media encoder I can give you the settings in a file if you like.

I have enclosed the video as an example. It may be possible to get it better than this, but it seemed good enough for what I needed.

PDSA_DRTV_July04-1.zip

• 1 month later...
Guest The PocketTV Team

> mpeg video bitrate settings for converting to the phone

You should check our Simple Guide for making MPEG files optimized for Smartphone.

The guide include pre-defined templates files optimized for Smartphones, and of course you can customize the parameters of those templates if you want.

Read the F.A.Q. at the end of the guide, it has lots of information, e.g. how to convert .MOV files etc.