Mio 8390 Launch - 1st Mobile Solutions Event...

Guest Will

Well at last i've recovered from driving to london and back, consuming All-you-can-eat chinese for £4.50, getting snapped by a speed camera spotted well in advance (long story), and getting confused by roads I know really well!

Paul and the UK moderators got invited to the Mitac Mio 8390 UK launch at the Science Museum in London on Wednesday Night!

Here's my brief synopsis of the evening:

Format:

Bar and information/stall areas, presentation followed by general chitchat!

Who ran it?

agb_170.jpgAGB Global

The Lowdown:

The Mitac Mio 8390, you know the specs, you've seen the device if you were at the last UK meet! it's fast, clamshell, and running 2003, (but you already knew that!) Can be purchased 'sim free' from AGB's website, and hopefully from high street retailers 'soon' the price on their website is £349 or £379 for the 'limited edition' version.

What you get in the box -

Software:  

GPRS Monitor,

SMS Sync for Outlook,  

Scientific Calculator,  

Device Backu,

Space Odyssey,  

Snails  

and 7 other titles,  

GPRS MMS Settings

Lock / Unlock untilites,

English Dictionary  

Extras:

Special Presentation Box (limited Edition Only)

Wharefdale Loudman Portable Speakers and Duracell Batteries  

Spare Battery ( 860mA standard and spare 750mA )

We only got a very brief chance to play with the device, as it was locked to a table, but hopefully, we'll be producing a better long term review soon.

The presentation explained what most of the member here already know: 'SMARTPHONES ROCK', and that people want sim free devices.

AGB are really hoping to become a force in the sim-free smartphone market, which is a good thing, but of course they cannot benefit from the subsidies the carriers provide (making the phone more expensive on initial purchase).

So, that was it? you had some wine, nibbles, listened to the presentation and chatted away?

Well no, there were some other people there, Peter Balogh (PDAMill) was demoing an amazing new game (Flux Challenge) even I, the ultimate 'non gamer' was amazed at the graphics and speed!

Also presenting their range of global dictionaries was Paragon and a selection of clever new chip and pin devices by Cardmerchant.

The stand we spent the most time at though, was by AURA, presenting 'magnetic' hands free headsets :shock: ..!! yes we said the same, but see lower down about them!

Conclusion:

Overall the evening was very interesting, and i'd like to thank the organisers for the invites, and wish them well selling the Mio 8390 to the UK market, lets hope a carrier can also pick up this device to appeal to those who want a contract phone.

Back to these headsets!!!

Auraaura_105.jpg

Ok the theory (as I understand it!) is that they make a special magnetic bubble, which can keep data inside it, and push out data (even stereo sound!) to any user within this bubble. see their website for a 'slightly' more technical description :P .We persuaded them to let us have a quick play, is this technology the new bluetooth?? Obviously testing a headset in a noisy room is not 'great' but it does work! and if you push your head out of the 'bubble' you are NOT disconnected from the device, just out of the 'bubble'(and no sound is transmitted or recieved), and immediately you reconnect, you're talking and hearing again. (no pairing/repairing required). Apparently the quality is excellent, secure, and 'personal' - noone else can invade your bubble!

Keep an eye out for an extended test of these headsets on MoDaCo Soon

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.