MPx200 2003 Upgrade Battery life: I think I have the answer!

Guest PDAZealot

Guest PDAZealot

Okay, we have all been reading that the hard reset when battery was full fixed it, or the GSM-fix takes care of it. Well, maybe it does for some, but it didn't for me. However, I found one process that seems to work:

1. Upgrade to 2003 on full battery.

2. Do Hard Reset.

3. Power up to 100% on battery.

4. Apply GSM Fix to system.

5. Power up to 100% on battery.

5. Do Hard Reset.

6. Make sure Accept Incoming Beams under the Settings>Beam category is turned off.

When I did all these steps above, especially the Beam one, my battery life zoomed from 7hrs to over 35hrs(it may be longer, that's how long so far). I dont' think it was just turning off the beam, as I had done that before, and it still was crap.

I think it's all of these, as well as making sure to turn off the small G over your signal bar when you are done with GPRS usage(Do a doubletap of the hangup key about 1 sec apart, and it will disconnect the small G symbol w/in about 10seconds).

I was on the verge of going back, but now I think it's doable for usage. Hope it helps everyone out there.

Guest chudy

thanks, for the writeup, will give it a try...

just followed the instructions and will do a regular usage test and update this post later on...

i had really batter life for the past couple days and it ended up because of the Beam/Irda being turned on from when i was sedning stuff over from my PDA...doh!! i totally forgot to disable it...

now we;ll see how long it'll last with the beam off...

NOTE: to anyone having a bettery life problem MAKE SURE the Beam/Irda is turned OFF!!!

Guest chudy
...I think it's all of these, as well as making sure to turn off the small G over your signal bar when you are done with GPRS usage(Do a doubletap of the hangup key about 1 sec apart, and it will disconnect the small G symbol w/in about 10seconds)...

awesome trick!!! i was really beginning to get ticked off for GPRS not getting turned off when i was done :evil:

the double tap works like a charm!!!! :P

Guest PDAZealot

Yep, it's confirmed, the steps listed above do keep your battery life up to where it should be(days not hours), but I have discovered what might be the real problem with this update:

GPRS power requirements appear to be 10 times higher than using the GPRS radio stack under the 2002 OS!

I tried it out where I used no GPRS for a day, and the battery barely went down, with quite a bit of phone and Windows Media Player usage. Then,, I tried something different another day:

I downloaded some POP email(about 50 all text emails), and surfed a few pages on the web for about 10min....the battery dropped by 15%. Ouch!

This is why you really have to make sure you disconnect your GPRS connection when done as well, as it will bleed your battery dead, especially if you have it set to download email automatically, as the GPRS icon will stay on over the signal bar if you don't disconnect it, then reconnect again whenever you have set it to reconnect(30min, 1hr later, etc).

It seems a shame that there are so many requirements to keep this battery alive, GSM-Fix, Hard Reset when 100% battery, Turn off Beam, and be vigilent about turning of the GPRS connection(shouldn't it do it by itself? Even when you set it to disconnect after 10min under settings, it doesn't do it). If you don't do all these, your battery will die in a day, and no matter what you do, the GPRS usage is extremely battery intensive. Ugh, I think we may need a fix for this issue, as we can't have GPRS usage killing the phone in just a hour of usage a day.

Guest nytehawk2002

I hate to burst this bubble but that procedure didn't work for my phone. I can barely make 5 calls a day without charging. Never had this with WM2002. Unless I can figure out another way to fix this I'm going to have to revert back.

Guest chudy

i seem to be having a similar problem :D the procedure didnt seem to work very well...which sucks...

i am in the process of testing some other procedures and will post results if they come out positive...i think i'm onto something, so we'll see...:P

Guest nytehawk2002

Ok.. I've got two MPX200s here both upgraded to the WM2003 Rom. Both of them are suffering from horrible battery life. I've noticed that one does fair a bit better than the other, and I'm not really sure why. I've tried all the different tips and tricks to extend battery life, and none seem to be working. I'm wondering if replacing the battery will have an effect on this?

Guest nytehawk2002

I've made a discovery. It seems not MPX200s have the same battery. The manufacturer spec calls for a battery with 860mah. The batteries that came with my phones were 600mah and 700mah respectively. I also checked with a friend of mine who has the same phone. AT&T recalled his phone because they claimed there was a "problem" with the batteries. Turns out they were sending out batches of phones with cheap non-OEM batteries. (This seems to be a local problem because no one else had heard of this.)

Anyhow. I've ordered two replacement batteries of 850mah from this website http://www.power101.com They aren't OEMs but they have the same mah ratings as OEMs So I'm going to give that a try.

I've also found that on E-Bay they are selling a desktop charger that accomodates both the phone and a spare battery. This may be perfect for you roadwarriors out there who suck up batteries like they're going out of style.

Guest Scoutmaster

where can i get that gsm fix?

because my battery drops in a couple of hours

and how do you turn of gprs?

the G rightabove by the signal?

Guest awarner [MVP]

Welcome to the site :P

If you are refering to the G above the signal bar on the LCD that's

ok as it's just showing that you have GPRS enabled. If on the Main screen you have the G in the corner of the screen with the signal bars you are then using GPRS where as the G in the top center of the screen again just shows you have it enabled rather than just using it.

Guest Scoutmaster
Welcome to the site :P

If you are refering to the G above the signal bar on the LCD that's

ok as it's just showing that you have GPRS enabled. If on the Main screen you have the G in the corner of the screen with the signal bars you are then using GPRS where as the G in the top center of the screen again just shows you have it enabled rather than just using it.

ok thnq

i traded my nokia 6600 for a motorola mpx200

Guest Osiris

Hey all,

I just got my MPX200 48hrs ago and thus far im ill impressed with battery life, im just wondering how do I turn off beam acceptance, and where do you get this GSM fix from?

Thanks in advance. Loving these forums, this phone but would sure love to see if I can get anymore battery life by getting the GSM update etc rather then hardresetting..

• 2 weeks later...
Guest AvWijk

1. Back-up al nessesary data from your phone (also sync with outlook!)

2. Turn off phone

3. Fully charge it to 100%

4. Start the Motorola Mobile upgrade wizard

5. Press left key and HOLD, connect to your PC

6. Follow the on-screen instructions

7. Open the GSM-fix IMG file

8. Aplly a hard reset when the flash has finished.

Good luck!

Guest carlmendes

the steps you have taken sound about right as i had the same problem but i think that just applying the GSM fix is all it takes as thats all i have done and it fixed things 26hours and still 88 %

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Wolferine

does anybody known why i dont have g symbol on external lcd until i first connect to gprs after power on the phone? and then the g symbol remainf for ever (until power off)..is that correct? when i use the doubleclick trick then g symbol on internal lcd above sygnal bar dissapear....

It's a bug with 2002 OS as long as you have the G in the middle

top of the main screen your phone is GPRS enabled.

Thats where the GSM fix is for!

I once had problems with my battery but not anymore! I just completely reflashed it. Very important, always charge the battery 100% and not for less. This solved my problems.