Yet another C500 review - Mobile Choice Magazine

Guest Simon Desser

Guest Simon Desser

It seems the SPV C500 can almost do no wrong in the eyes of the British Mobile Phone press :D

Another UK magazine "Mobile Choice" has published a review of the C500, and it once again, gets a good report.

(A magazine review wouldn't be complete without a silly error, and this one says the C500 has GPRS and 3G :P - Now wouldn't that be nice :wink: )

Check Sheet.jpg

Real strength.jpg

Feels tough.jpg

Bold claim.jpg

Mobile Choice Cover.jpg

Guest zeta101

although i havent read this review (but judging from whats in this post), i just find magazine reviews very superficial (well for phones atleast, computer mags are much better), and its even worse for smartphones as i doubt the reviewer is a MS smartphone enthusiast and doesnt know what to look for. Its always the same "great load of features, whopping big 65k screen" malarky (ie stuff thats obvious). I mean i bet a lot of people here on modaco could write a "review" of the c500 without even having used it, and it would be similar to any mag review. To be fair though, they do mention the joypad is fiddly, but thats been speculated about, id like to know *how* its fiddly, is it hard to go left/right or up/down or press the action button, is it something you master in a few hours etc etc. If the mag reviewer has used the phone then they could tell us this.

Guest Paul [MVP]

What can I say?

If Orange got phones to MoDaCo as quick as they got them to those mags, then you would have your answer :P

P

Guest Helix

Zeta they're not going to use it for a few months THEN decide to review it. It would ruin the 'exclusiveness of the review'. Faults like that only come about on forums like this one. :D

"Camera isn't the best on the market" Is the only flaw I've noticed in its spec to be honest. Oh and ofcourse no 3G. :P

Guest shadamehr

You mention that this magazine review has glaring errors.

Nothing new here then... The What Cellphone August edition review of the C500 says it doesn't have InfraRed.

Did I miss something?

That's whay I take these reviews with a pinch of salt and then some.

If they are so thorough that they make claims like "has 3G", or "no infrared", then that sounds REALLY thorough to me like - NOT!

So, bear it in mind folks.

Guest Simon Desser

I wouldn't worry too much about what they say regarding the camera, here's what they say, in context :P :-

If we have a criticism, it's that the 65,000 colour display has been bettered by more than one manufacturer, and the camera is by no means the best on the market. However, that's not to say that these are weak areas and, for many , it will be perfectly adequate for their needs.

Presumeably they're referring to 65K colour screens, and 1 Million Pixel cameras, rather than specifically criticising the C500 :D

Here's a scan of a picture taken with a C500 in the W@mob review.

The picture's only very small in the magazine, but it looks miles better than anything I've ever seen from the E200 8)

C500 Horse Pic.jpg

Guest drblow

i'm just always a bit suspicious of these magazine reviews. the people who write them obviously get a nice pre-release model from O, & i'm sure they wouldnt want to jeapordise that in the future by writing an honest review of any major problems. lets face it, does anyone remember a magazine review telling us about the e200 buzzing problem? Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest Simon Desser
i'm just always a bit suspicious of these magazine reviews. the people who write them obviously get a nice pre-release model from O, & i'm sure they wouldnt want to jeapordise that in the future by writing an honest review of any major problems. lets face it, does anyone remember a magazine review telling us about the e200 buzzing problem? Posted from my SmartPhone!
I agree that these reviews should always be taken with a pinch of salt, and you're right, the magazine wouldn't want to upset the phone company.

and you have to bear in mind that the phone company / manufacturer will probably have to pay the magazine a rather large amount of money for the "privelege" of having their phone reviewed :roll:

But you do sometimes get honest critisicms, this is what What Cellphone said about the C500:-

"the speech sounded slightly garbled, as if listening to a radio that wasn't quite tuned in correctly."

Guest drblow

yeah - i think the company paying for the reviews make them even more unreliable. if someone pays for it, the review is even less likely to be honest if there are major bugs which would put people off buying one. Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest refnulf

I suspect that this phone will be just as crappy as the other phones from HTC, only time will tell though. So stop believing in magazine reviews and wait for real reviews from the users here (or wherever).

I can't help but worry about how great everything is (the perfect phone almost) but I doubt everything will gel together (sorta like Chelsea FC).

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Guest hamed khan

Though we all acknowledge that HTC make bollocks phones, lacking fundemental things we have come to rely on with phones in general, like reliablity and battery life (primarily), we also have to admit that during their three phone life, they have made vast improvements with each mobile, and all things remaining consistent, we can expect, at the very least, a much improved phone over the E200. That coupled with the promising reviews and features (though the company has a history of over-hyping), it is quite likely we can expect a very good phone. Plus with the delay/withdrawal of the candy bar Motorola, looks like we haven't got much choice :cry:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.