Traffic-i: now with free trial, and MoDaCo discount!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul [MVP]

traffic-i_logo.jpg

I've been playing with an app over the past week called 'Traffic-i', an application for Smartphone that hooks into the Trafficmaster traffic information network.

Having tried the E200 version after being pretty uninspired by the P800 version a few months ago, though, I have to say, I like it! The interface is good, and although I could suggest a few improvments to the application (better naming of roads on the map for one), I think it's well worth the asking price!

So....

I spoke to the Traffic-i developers, IM-Technologies, and negotiated a £5 discount on a yearly subscription (£34.99 instead of £39.99) for every single MoDaCo member (including me, hurrah!) :P

If you would like to take advantage of this discount, simply click the following link:

http://www.traffic-i.com/modaco/trial.asp

Enjoy... an excerpt from the Traffic-i website follows...

:D

P

Within seconds of switching on the phone, users can access high quality, live traffic information from Trafficmaster, providing a nationwide picture of traffic conditions.

Users can navigate quickly and easily around the UK and zoom into any specific area of interest to view traffic delays, which are displayed using high quality graphics, in either miles per hour, or by the number of minutes the delay will add to their journey.

With five levels of zoom available, and the ability to bookmark areas for quick retrieval, Traffic-i allows users to make informed decisions on their preferred route, based on current traffic conditions.

Guest Paul [MVP]

I haven't used 177 TBH, but the data on this seems to be spot on, and I can't imagine voice guidance being as nice as a live updated map?

P

Guest kevlar

£35/year? even with the discount that's pretty expensive. I suppose if you can justify it for work, say your a rep or whatever it would be worth it, but it's probably not aimed at people who don't spend their lives in their car.

Kevlar

Guest Paul [MVP]

That's under 3 quid a month, and even for me who does occasional long journeys I think that's not bad.

It's a super cool thing to show off the Smartphone too of course ;-)

P

Guest Paul [MVP]

Not sure... It has a couple of different modes for retrieving the data like persistent, polling and on request.

I'm on the 50 quid all-you-can eat plan (ouch!), so I haven't checked!

P

Guest Toyota-F1.com

The trial can also be got from Orange World, but I've tried downloading it but my SPV E200 says "Object..." something something basically it doesn't download.

Guest Toyota-F1.com
"]Strange, i'm on the trial from Orange World, and it works? :D

P

No, I try downloading it and on the next page it just says "Object failed..." something like that.

Doesn't matter, I don't travel anywhere, I just like trying tnew things :P

Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

About the cost, the 177 service from Orange costs 40p/min so for how much they charge a year you would only get 10mins on 177 info and if anyone has tried this service the call takes between 1 - 2 minutes depending on the info.

So thats £35 for a year or about 7 calls to 177 voice media, think I know which one I will be going for.

Guest Paul [MVP]

There must be a problem with the O servers re: the demo download, because that's exactly how I got it the other day!

You can also get the demo from the link in the first post...

P

Guest MrMagoo
How much gprs does this thing use Paul?
How much GPRS bandwidth does Traffic-i typically use?  

Obviously the size of data transmitted varies depending upon the traffic conditions when you connect, but to give you an idea, the usage would range from a light user who uses the service 16 times a month to a heavy user who uses the service about 200 times a month. The light user would use about 75kb of data and the heavy user about 500kb. Charges are dependant upon your Network Operator.  

sounds very good

Guest rammy121

well folks, i first used it in the car (YQ model) many years ago. it was good, saved me time and money but bulky and couldn't leave it in the car. i then got it on my desk top via the internet (yeh, right, hardly portable). then i saw it on the p900, i was impressed (knowing it's potential for someone like me). next, the e200, well, that was a god send. o.k. it was small but i got used to it. it was robust and easy to use, enough to make me keep it just for that. again for the £4 / month, great!! then i went to the m1000. i cried - no traffic-I (sad boy). but then, i thought what about the o2 XDA2 version. i downloaded it and it wouldn't work. well, try downloading it properly silly boy. then hey presto . . .i got it. the screen is, once you've got used to the touch screen, fairly easy to use. the navigation (?) pad works but mine is quite sensitive. it's definitely accurate. the spv200 was around 80% reliable (starting up, making connections, refreshing etc.). so far this one is more reliable although i've only used for a couple of days now. however, it's a bit more tricky to operate single handedly (interprete that how you want). i guess in a vehicle, mount it in a cradle as a must. as for cost, horses for courses. if it save me 15 minutes a month in getting to work, then it's paid for itself (i'm hourly paid) for that month and it does, every month, trailing up and down the M1, M25 etc. etc. the try b4u buy option is a good taster.

rammy :P

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.