??Can anyone explain: odd ringtone situation

Guest dapunk

Guest dapunk

Okay let me first explain i have had my mpx200 for a grand total of 2 days and i am still playing and understanding. so here is my situation.

I want to have custom ringtones, .mid and .wav files i have created, assigned to contacts, like my girlfriend and family etc. so i go to modaco to see what the situation is and my understand is from various posts that you cant really do this by just dropping some files on the phone nor can you do it by dropping files on the SD card, unless you try some sketchy registry edits that may mess your phone.

so i decided to test my info and at first it appears the info is sound. no matter where i put my files when i went into editing my contact and choosing a custom tone the only options i got were the preset ones....

then, a miracle happend, i had the tones in the IPSM folder under the sounds folder. the first time i look this is no good. then i need to reboot my phone for a different reason and i turn it back on. i decided to take a custom tone off of a contact and go back to no custom tone for that contact and VOILA, i see my files i put on the phone. now i have custom made tones assigned to contact and it is tested and works! is this odd? or is the info i read incomplete or out of context? why are there custom applications designed to do this????

happy and confused!! :P

Guest GoMatt

Look in your users guide that came with the phone. It tells you how to make custom rings tones. Waves and midis have to be a certain type to work. Also, get the tones working under the main ring tone, then edit the contact and make them their own.

Matt

Guest dapunk

GoMatt: yeah i know about file formats and stuff. i was commenting on the fact that it WORKED and i have been reading that for some people it does not

awarner: thanks for validating that my phone is working as usual.

i suppose what i have read here is just people who are not clear on how to make the ringtones work. when mine worked fine i was surprised

cheers