What kind of MIDIs can you use for ringtones?

Guest hedgehog1969

Guest hedgehog1969

I've downloaded several midis and only some of them work. I edited them to make them smaller, using less tracks, and fewer simultaneous notes, and even the ones that worked before now don't work.

Anyone know what you need to have them work? These things worked great on my old Toshiba/Audiovox phone.

Guest hedgehog1969

Well, I converted them to midi0, but they still don't work. Any one else with ideas? So far this phone has been a HUGE disappointment.

Hi,

you have to either place the ringtones in the /Application Data/Sounds/ or /My Documents/ folder. Then you should be able to select your MID0, WAV and WMA ringtones from the menu.

If this isn't working that your phone is probably broken and it should be repaired.

btw. Why do you say the phone is such a great dissapointment? Anything we can help out with?

Guest Sasuke

yes, while it is true that midi format is smaller in file size then wav or wma. who really cares when you can store the ringtones on your SD card.

a 400kb wav file is not gona take up that much space on a 128Mb or 256MB sd/mmc card

i gave up trying to use midi format as ringtones a long time ago :roll:

Guest aliensix

I'm surprised that even with WM2003, not all midi ringtones work. I even converted a couple of midi1 files to midi0. However, it seems to lack many instruments thus not complete when playing... :B

Guest Osiris

You know you could specify to people that the WMA update is only for WM2003 users. I dont know what the go here is, seems some devices on WM2002 must be capable of using WMA as ringtones, but ive tried all your tricks and the MPX200 on WM2002 just doesnt play WMA ringtones. fine'.

• 3 weeks later...

yep Osiris is correct. I've tried to set wma files as my ringtone but cant find them on the menu (settings menu where u assign ringtones). I've tried to place them both on the MY documents and in IPSMApplication DataSounds directory

Guest awarner [MVP]

To get things straight

2002 can use midi0 and .wav files only

2003 has the added feature of allowing you to use wma files instead.

If the ringtones need to be placed in either

IPSMApplication DataSounds (replace IPSM with Storage on 2003)

or placing them in My Documents on the storage card.

If they still do not work, then they have not been encoded correctly.

The phone will not be broken as suggested in a post above :?

Try some of the ringtones in the customisation section

Guest Disco Stu
I'm surprised that even with WM2003, not all midi ringtones work. I even converted a couple of midi1 files to midi0. However, it seems to lack many instruments thus not complete when playing... :B

Might that not be a hardware problem rather than software ?

I'm probably confusing myself again though. :roll:

Guest lukelaan

I'm kind of dissapointed that an advanced device like my mpx200 can do the most amazing things, but acts like a complete retard when it comes to ringtones.... (Did it make sense what I just said?)

Guest Disco Stu

Yeah, it made sense, in both senses :)

I think MIDI / polyphonic ringtones are going out of fashion now that they're introducing MP3 functionality in Smartphones