hey awarner: what is the deal????

Guest dapunk2

Guest dapunk2

okay so let me being by saying that i made an attempt to pm you about this issue but apprarently you do not allow that as when i tried i was told i was not authorized to pm you. i am a new member to this forum and i am very new to smartphones and the mpx200. i have owned mine for less than 2 weeks.

i have been looking for software to enhance my device and have come up short regarding any forms of mms clients. so i searched around to see what others were doing about this glaring absence and could not find much on the topic. so then i found out about jmms and contacted jaytu software company to see if i can buy a copy of jmms for my smartphone. unfortunately they dont sell to end users.

then i attempt to turn to the modaco forum. i very discreetly post a topic to inquire further about the possibilities for obtaining an mms client, and i specifically look for people with the orange mpx200. i then use pm, as not to blatantly ignore forum rules, and then YOU WARN ME AND TAKE AWAY MY ABILITY TO PM???

i completely understand your concern for copywrited material, and would not have a problem respecting this forums boundaries. but a WARNING is just that, telling a new person that a specific request is not condoned. taking away a very important part of the forum functions, and not allowing me to respond to your decision is uncalled for!

i have had to spend time to now create this account just to communicate with you about my concerns. in the future you should consider some level of mutual respect to make an effort to allow a user, like myself, to respond and acept your terms. i would like to use my previous account and have pm capability again.

i came to this forum looking for information and to provide information to the smartphone community. i will certainly not be the last person to be a "newb" and i am concerned at how strident your warning actions are.

please feel free to post your response here or you can pm this account as i will be using it until we have reached an ends that is amenable to us both.

my decision to post this topic should in no way be construed as a hostile response, it should be understood as my only way to communicate with you, the moderator, in order to reach a solution and to move forward with this forum.

regards,

dapunk

Guest mcwarre

Actually I support awrner on this. With your initiaL post it was obvious that you were upto something as you did not wish to openly post about it. Look at the original replies to it..........

not allowing me to respond to your decision is uncalled for!
What do you call this then? :roll:

you should consider some level of mutual respect

Awarner is a well respected and a forum moderator; you are neither. It is nice to show your 'mutual respect' with the tone (and attitude) of this post.....

please feel free to post your response here or you can pm this account as i will be using it until we have reached an ends that is amenable to us both
Or until it is seen by the Mods as breaking site rules and ban this as well as you are not allowed to circumvent warnings or bans as you have done

my decision to post this topic should in no way be construed as a hostile response

Why the SHOUTING then?

In essence you were up to something that is not legit whether it was done openly in a post or in PM. This site has clear policies against warez and software piracy; if you don't like it go elsewhere. The forum is not here to be abused by you........

Guest Disco Stu

Don't take it personally mate.

Forum members don't get access to PMs until they have 10 posts to their name. This is to stop a spam scam that was targetted here a while back.

Guest TANKERx

Don't be offended by the action. It's difficult for moderators to tell the tares from the wheat and so when someone asks for software, it's safer (and less work) to assume that averyone is dodgy.

Sorry this happened dude, it's totally bogus, but that's the internet for you. Respect isn't something you can expect from everyone.

Guest awarner [MVP]

The decision was made as you are well aware that discussing warez is

against site rules otherwise you would have openly posted asking for the

software you require. As I had complaints from more than one member

about you sending pm messages asking for this software which you know is not available to buy.

i found out about jmms and contacted jaytu software company to see if i can buy a copy of jmms for my smartphone. unfortunately they dont sell to end users.
So you know it's not for sale then you admit to the following,

i very discreetly post a topic to inquire further about the possibilities for obtaining an mms client,

You then try to obtain it illegally

Your actions can actually result in a ban, you are lucky to just have your

pm privilege revoked.

Also the site does not allow multiple accounts As listed in the Site Rules HERE

So this account will be made inactive.

Guest RobPowell

I'd like to give my 2p worth as I moderate a different forum, relating to dvd's (burning, media types, buy/sell etc) and have an opinion which I feel is relevent that awarner is being too polite to say.....

1. You are a guest here, and guests can be asked to leave.

2. You have no rights here, it is a priviledge that you are here.

3. Mods and admin have the last say. If you don't like it, tough. They take the praise for the good stuff, but take the flack for all the crap also. They can ban you for any reason they like, although I have never seen a mod ban without a good reason on any forum.

4. A warning may have sufficed, I never read your first post. But, from what's been said here, you went out of your way to get warez. On my forum I would have banned your IP, maybe even your range if you had a floating IP.

People here would LOVE to help you, and will help you as far as they can, but only to the point of legality. People will not help you with anything dodgy here, and anyone who is willing, will approach you themselves. By going looking for yourself you are a spammer, and not welcome.

"i came to this forum looking for information and to provide information to the smartphone community. i will certainly not be the last person to be a "newb" and i am concerned at how strident your warning actions are."

Illegal content can shut a site down. They are protecting their site. Lets face it, you are another anonymous user whom no-one knows. They'd rather ban you and keep 50,000 other users safe.

I really hope for your sake that all issues can be put behind you as this is a great place to learn and help others. Please don't take the above as an offence, it's an observation.

I particularly understand your point, I miss MMS terribly, but my phone will stay without until there is shareware or better out that I can use.

awarner is sometimes wrong, but not often. I have had a run in with him but I had my chance to speak to him and clarify my point, to which the original post (albeit minorly edited) was allowed to stay.

On this topic, he's clarified his point further, case closed. You will not win on this one, so let it slide.

Guest dapunk

to all who look to tell me i am unwelcom here: I did not post for your edification, i posted openly to contact awarner. you are entitled to your opinion but dont think for a second you know me or whether or not i should be someone that is part of this forum. i have contributed time and effort in many other forums and i am new here. nuff said.

awarner: my point and question still stands. i am understanding of a warning and also understand your forum rules. i prefer to use this account and am confident i will need pm feature in the future. will this be re-enabled?

regrets for this situation are evident

dapunk

p.s. my decision to create a 2nd account was based on my assumed ability that a non-warned account could pm you. i was not aware this was not the case. in any event you can consider this an additional incident of me breaking the rules or accept that what i have said preceeding is accurate.

Guest awarner [MVP]

The decision to revoke the PM privilage will stand for the time being

as this was how you decided to knowingly break the rules, by trying to hide your actions.

Guest drblow

Basically m8, we've got a nice, friendly forum here ... & you're not going out of your way to ingratiate yourself to anybody. I don't really see how anyone is telling you that you are not welcome here - just that if you break forum rules, you will be warned etc. just like anybody else.

Try to think of it like meeting a new bunch of friends ... while people will try to respect your opinion, if it comes up against that of an established member, you're always going to find difficulty in making your point stick. & the more of a fuss you make of it, the less people will be interested in listening to/helping you.

If you have an issue with a moderator, and you don't want to recieve other comments from users, then don't post openly on the forum about it. I know you have no PM ability, so you have no other option, but this thread is part of the public forums, so you have to expect other people to express their views -kind of like I'm doing now! :wink:

This forum is frequented by people every day, and as one of those, I had read this post with interest ... it was not until now that I felt I needed to express my opinion, but this is a DISCUSSION forum, hence, I am now entering the DISCUSSION - do you follow what I'm saying?

At the end of the day, you have been given a warning by a forum moderator. If you have a problem with that then it's your choice to stay or go, but don't be expecting anyone else to rally round you in support, coz it aint gonna happen! :shock: If you persist with your present attitude then you will only succeed in alienating other members aswell. Like I said, this is a nice friendly forum - people tend not to hold grudges or anything. The only reason you are having any difficulty is because you have been deemed by a moderator to have broken the forum rules. It has also been indicated that you tried to do this in a rather sneaky way. So be a big boy, take it on the chin, and get over it. That way you might stand a chance of people just forgetting about it.

Choice is yours m8.

Guest awarner [MVP]
I know you have no PM ability, so you have no other option

There is always email which many many members use to contact me

directly with their problems and queries etc.

Guest TANKERx

Life would be so much easier if Windows Mobile had a native, built in MMS client instead of Microsoft trying to buck the trend in the rest of the Smartphone market by not including one.

Never mind eh?

Maybe Microsoft saw MMS as a dying standard. Lets face facts, MMS is crap. Generally speaking, it costs to much and is too slow to use properly.

I'm a little bit disappionted at the lack of MMS in 2003, however with that said, I've never used MMS significantly enough for me to miss it or stay with 2002

Guest dapunk

@tanker: yep you are right about that! hope mms becomes available in the mpx220

drblow: thanks for your opinion and decision to comment. as you stated, i posted via the board cause of the lack of pm. i was not looking for anyone to rally for me. i just used the method of communication i had afforded to me. and i suppose i also recognise your opinion to just take the warning and move on. but i do want my pm capability back as i have found it useful for condoned activity in many other forums i use. for me, this is a principal thing. i believe the warning should not remove my ability without the opportunity for me to accpet a mods terms. and i also question somewhat the decision in general. there are lots of "dicey" posts on this forum about 2003 roms and such, in fact, it was on a sticked post that i found and obtained a non-official 2003 rom copy! plus, no one mentions problems with copyright with respect to "custom tones" which no mater how one looks at it, is exploiting an artists talent by using their intellectual property and not paying for it. i recognize the literal implications about ringtones not being the actual song, but it is just the semantics of this issue that allows web forums to skirt the issue.

so basically, i moved on this issue because i believe the mods actions on my account are uncalled for and should be reversed. if it was not about a principal i simply would just open another anonymous account and go about my business.

@awarner: when would my pm capability be resumed? i ask because you qualified your last resonse with "the time being"

dapunk

Guest kurtfhouse

I agree with Toe, MMS is crap, never really used it on any phone that I've had it on, and judging by the number I've recieved noone I know ever uses it much either :?

The files you can send in an MMS are too small and poor in quality yet the message is too expensive at the same time.

I was glad I could remove the program in 2002 for the extra space, its just a shame I couldn't do the same with previous devices :lol:

Even if an app was available to provide MMS for 2003 I doubt I'd bother frankly :P

You never know though might change my mind one day.........but I doubt it :wink:

@Dapunk, stop whining, "get up and run it off like a man!" :D

Guest ultimasnake

i have mms support on my e200 by default.. though (besides the first 2 months when i could sent free mms'es) i never sent or recieved any mms messages and i have had my e200 for almost a year now :P

Guest RobPowell
Maybe Microsoft saw MMS as a dying standard. Lets face facts, MMS is crap. Generally speaking, it costs to much and is too slow to use properly.  

I'm a little bit disappionted at the lack of MMS in 2003, however with that said, I've never used MMS significantly enough for me to miss it or stay with 2002

that's fine and I agree, or I did til a friend offered to take a nuddie pic of herself last night and I can't receive it LOL

Guest awarner [MVP]
i moved on this issue because i believe the mods actions on my account are uncalled for and should be reversed.

After reading the PM you sent to other members, the decision was made

to remove your PM privilege.

In your pm you explained that you did not post your request on the site as you knew it would be removed. As stated before you knowingly broke the site rules by asking other members to give you software and act in software piracy for your own gain.

Perhaps you should have decided to buy an MPX200 from the UK instead

of an AT&T MPX200 from ebay :P

You are not doing yourself any favours by continuing your rant here, my

decision will not be withdrawn.

Guest beersoft

dapunk, stop digging!

there is an easy way to see if you have lost the argument:

"blah blah blah what about the ringtones and skins, there copyrited but you allow those blah blah blah

if the simple to understand rules about asking people for copyrited software don't apply to you please let us know, because that must be a great club to belong to

later

Owen

"waving the clueby4 about during his stint as 'king of irc'"

Guest Disco Stu
that's fine and I agree, or I did til a friend offered to take a nuddie pic of herself last night and I can't receive it LOL

I'll PM you my mobile number and she can send it to me instead. :wink:

Then I could post it up here or something !

Guest dapunk

@beersoft: completely inconsequential post. do your realize your mediocrity? rhetorical question.

@awarner: you are understood. consider dapunk and this topic closed as I believe a meeting of the minds is unlikely.

@monolithix: your contributions to the community goes without saying. the forum rules and post you have listed are informative, but not directed at the point i was attempting to resolve with awarner.

well, it was entertaining at the least.

peace.