Sega GG + Nintendo GameBoy emulator for SP beta test

Guest bitbank

Guest dario69
The new version (0.22) is ready. This includes many many improvements (especially in the area of loading/saving) that you will appreciate. Look at the readme for all of the changes.

L.B.

The new gui option for loading/saving is pretty cool. Also, when the Genesis emu works it really does fly. For example Gunstar Heroes runs faster than it does on Picodrive. And I don't have my Dash overclocked. That is saying a lot. Thanks.

Guest mikeeey
The new version (0.22) is ready. This includes many many improvements (especially in the area of loading/saving) that you will appreciate. Look at the readme for all of the changes.

L.B.

i like the menu now when pausing. thats a plus.

but now when configuring keys theres no way to say "ok" or "exit"

::GENESIS::

when im playing genesis the sound is slow and the speed is exactly the same if i overclock my phone.

do u think a postage stamp size screen mode could be added?

also there needs to be a C button added, otherwise it just uses the start button, and the select button is used as start instead. (confusing when it switches the keys around and replaces them)

::GAMEBOY::

gameboy is perfect!!!!!! dont change a single thing its absolutly perfect!

EDIT: wait ok i found 1 bug. in the bottom right corner theres some flickering tranparent pixels, and the left and right sides are cut off. ive tried all the screen size options and this problem still happens.

if there could just be an option where everything is all in 1 postage stamp size (240x240) and it was smoothly stretched (like masteralls emulators) it would be perfect!

keep it up, youve almsot perfected gameboy emulator on smartphone and pocket pc

::NES::

sound is still too high pitch. besides that, all is well.

Edited by mikeeey

Guest bitbank

Thanks for the quick feedback. Sorry about the keydef dialog. I fixed that in this build (0.23) and added the C button for Genesis.

Mikeeey: I think the flickering you're seeing is not from the emulator, but from the SIP button trying to repaint on a Pocket PC. I'll see if I can kill it. What do you mean by things being cut-off on the GameBoy? I've tested it and everything is displayed (all 160 pixels across). What device and video options are you using?

ninjaw: I haven't got the Genesis working well yet, but believe me, when I've optimized it fully you'll know ;) . I also added the settings option back to the "pause" menu, but be careful because changing the sound options mid-game may have bad results.

I'm adding a "Quick & Dirty Rendering" option (placeholder is there now) to allow fast and sloppy drawing of Genesis and possibly the other emulators.

Here's a quick fix build for you.

Please keep the good feedback coming...

L.B.

smartgear.zip

Guest ninjaw

Cool !!!

I noticed Mario2 NES is unplayable ... strange ?

I noticed lots of games seems to not start because of previous quick saves with same name like mario1 mario2 ...

I noticed I can now run Sonic3 SMD with 22Hz sound !!

I noticed SMD do not quick save, and do not Internal save ?

Edited by ninjaw

Guest mikeeey
Thanks for the quick feedback. Sorry about the keydef dialog. I fixed that in this build (0.23) and added the C button for Genesis.

Mikeeey: I think the flickering you're seeing is not from the emulator, but from the SIP button trying to repaint on a Pocket PC. I'll see if I can kill it. What do you mean by things being cut-off on the GameBoy? I've tested it and everything is displayed (all 160 pixels across). What device and video options are you using?

ninjaw: I haven't got the Genesis working well yet, but believe me, when I've optimized it fully you'll know ;) . I also added the settings option back to the "pause" menu, but be careful because changing the sound options mid-game may have bad results.

I'm adding a "Quick & Dirty Rendering" option (placeholder is there now) to allow fast and sloppy drawing of Genesis and possibly the other emulators.

Here's a quick fix build for you.

Please keep the good feedback coming...

L.B.

well idk if i can describe what im trying to say so il take a screen shot and describe from there...

the first 2 shots are using pocketgnuboy the second 2 shots are using smartgear. notice in the left corner part is missing. if u were to actually see it on the phone there is a flickering transparency down there.

btw the C button on genesis is much easier than trying to use the select button =).

Edited by mikeeey

Guest pixelator

Awesome work as always, Larry... I remember your perfect arcade classics on PPC!

One question - in Sailor Moon (yes, I know >_< I'm a sick man) there's a lot of clicking that speeds up and slows down, and it seems to interfere with the framerate in a very regular fashion... Like the clicks represent one frame each, almost. Any ideas?

I'm running a basically virgin Blackjack (is GAPI installed on these?).

Edited by pixelator

Guest bitbank

Thanks Mikeeey,

Those screenshots are excellent. I have an idea of what the problem is, but I need to know the name of the game, then I will be able to fix it.

L.B.

Guest bowdowntozoltan

wow i didnt realize you were continuing to make this. is it still going to have trials and all? or are you making it free now

Guest mikeeey
Thanks Mikeeey,

Those screenshots are excellent. I have an idea of what the problem is, but I need to know the name of the game, then I will be able to fix it.

L.B.

the name of the game is toki tori(gameboy color). my gf loves to play it lol thats why i have it haha.

o hey and also, i like how youve now added the settings while the game is paused, do u think u could do the same with the controls?

Edited by mikeeey

Guest bitbank

Fixed it ;)

The GBC "Window" was only drawing multiples of 8 pixels and missing an extra 7 on Toki Tori. Version 0.24 will have the fix (not sure when I will release it).

Thanks Mikeeey

P.S. I also have a T-Mobile SDA and the joystick has become almost unusable. Anyone know of a fix for this? Will T-Mobile fix it?

Edited by bitbank

Guest mikeeey
Fixed it ;)

The GBC "Window" was only drawing multiples of 8 pixels and missing an extra 7 on Toki Tori. Version 0.24 will have the fix (not sure when I will release it).

Thanks Mikeeey

P.S. I also have a T-Mobile SDA and the joystick has become almost unusable. Anyone know of a fix for this? Will T-Mobile fix it?

cool im glad it works now!

yea ive had that joystick problem before, taking it out and cleaning it sometimes works.

one time tho i put just a right amount of glue inbetween the joystick and the cap that covers the joystick, and it worked fine, then the second time i did this it completly ruined it and i had to buy a new joystick and saulder it on.

here's a guide how to fix the joystick problem:

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=243393

hope that works, heres another topic i started about it, it just links to the website that i just gave you:

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=...hl=sp5+joystick

Edited by mikeeey

Guest feoysolo
Fixed it ;)

Thanks Mikeeey

If it's within the warranty year, they will replace it. If you're interested, they will also give you a Dash instead as an alternate exchange phone.

Edited by feoysolo

Guest mikeeey
If it's within the warranty year, they will replace it. If you're interested, they will also give you a Dash instead as an alternate exchange phone.

then they need to replace all the SDAs every 2 months lol, thats how short the joystick life lasts for.

Guest oianfao

if Orientation is set to 90, Video Size is ignored (acts as if set to 100% no matter what)

if Orientation is set to 270, changing Video Size from 100% either produces a black screen or a clipped one.

using HTC Star Trek / WM5 SP

Guest bitbank

I haven't fully implemented the screen rotation code. I just wanted to get the portrait and landscape devices displaying correctly. I'll revisit that and fill in the missing blanks soon.

L.B.

Guest Jamma14

Larry thanks for taking on board what everyone has said, it is going to be awesome when finished!

Few things for ya (I'll try to take some screen caps of what I mean if you wish).:

--Display is going corrupt (not rendered correctly) when accessing the in-game menu in pokemon crystal, do you need a pic? (Apart from that gbc is almost perfect)!

--When paused, it would be good if softkeys automatically got displayed so we know the menu is there (get drawn over by game).

--Have you disabled loading and saving in this release?? As they are all greyed out on mine..?

--It is meant to be able to play genesis files right? Because when I press open they are not recognised so I cannot test them (all .smd's in the smartgear folder). This is the main issue at the moment for me??

--Sounds in NES games is crackly.

--SRAM support?

--Command line support?

--Since I haven't been able to load or save I haven't been able to test it but...does resetting still delete the save file?? And also I don't think it is neccessary to have reset mapped to a button..it can be gotten to from the menu and an accidental press whether it deletes the save permanently or not will be frustrating.

--What method are you using to scale the images? Is it just a nearest neighbour type thing?? I'm not saying it looks bad...I'm using fit2win* on the dash and I'm happy using it, but just how much of an impact would a bilinear or bicubic algorithm have on performance?

--Volume configurable from the menu as opposed to by buttons?? Would be best to just have buttons that control the game, and one to pause it so the menu can be accessed, in my opinion of course. But that way it just means less remembering of random buttons and less chance of doing things you don't want to in game.

--Would be good if SmartGear could remember the volume it was last set to, instead of using the system volume each time you launch a game.

Anyway great work...keep on it!

Would like to hear your comments on my comments.

James

Edited by Jamma14

Guest mikeeey
Larry thanks for taking on board what everyone has said, it is going to be awesome when finished!

Few things for ya (I'll try to take some screen caps of what I mean if you wish).:

--Display is going corrupt (not rendered correctly) when accessing the in-game menu in pokemon crystal, do you need a pic? (Apart from that gbc is almost perfect)!

--When paused, it would be good if softkeys automatically got displayed so we know the menu is there (get drawn over by game).

--Have you disabled loading and saving in this release?? As they are all greyed out on mine..?

--It is meant to be able to play genesis files right? Because when I press open they are not recognised so I cannot test them (all .smd's in the smartgear folder). This is the main issue at the moment for me??

--Sounds in NES games is crackly.

--SRAM support?

--Command line support?

--Since I haven't been able to load or save I haven't been able to test it but...does resetting still delete the save file?? And also I don't think it is neccessary to have reset mapped to a button..it can be gotten to from the menu and an accidental press whether it deletes the save permanently or not will be frustrating.

--What method are you using to scale the images? Is it just a nearest neighbour type thing?? I'm not saying it looks bad...I'm using fit2win* on the dash and I'm happy using it, but just how much of an impact would a bilinear or bicubic algorithm have on performance?

--Volume configurable from the menu as opposed to by buttons?? Would be best to just have buttons that control the game, and one to pause it so the menu can be accessed, in my opinion of course. But that way it just means less remembering of random buttons and less chance of doing things you don't want to in game.

--Would be good if SmartGear could remember the volume it was last set to, instead of using the system volume each time you launch a game.

Anyway great work...keep on it!

Would like to hear your comments on my comments.

James

it almost sounds like your using an older version. are u using version 0.23? o and ur pokemon menu problem should be fixed in the next version, i had asked him something similiar to this with the game toki tori and he said he fixed it in the next version.

Guest mikeeey

bitbank i found another bug. it appears in ur newest version (0.23) the select button doesnt work.

il notify you if i notice anything else.

any answer yet on implementing another video size that sizes everything to a 240x240 resolution?

Guest Jamma14
it almost sounds like your using an older version. are u using version 0.23? o and ur pokemon menu problem should be fixed in the next version, i had asked him something similiar to this with the game toki tori and he said he fixed it in the next version.

Nope, definitely using the latest version (it was the last one uploaded in the thread by bitbank and says 0.23 in the about box)...

Is saving/loading working for you, and is the file explorer picking up your .smds?

James

Guest bitbank

I'm aware of the SELECT button problem (already fixed it). I've been working on Genesis and have made some good progress. I'll try to release a new build by the end of the week. What I've got so far is Genesis runs full speed (some games) on my T-Mobile SDA if I disable FM sound (but leave the other sounds). The tricky part is to do fast FM.

L.B.

Guest mikeeey
Nope, definitely using the latest version (it was the last one uploaded in the thread by bitbank and says 0.23 in the about box)...

Is saving/loading working for you, and is the file explorer picking up your .smds?

James

yes saving does work for me on version 0.23 on gbc only.

none of the other problems u listed are happening for me though. no more sound skipping noise.

I'm aware of the SELECT button problem (already fixed it). I've been working on Genesis and have made some good progress. I'll try to release a new build by the end of the week. What I've got so far is Genesis runs full speed (some games) on my T-Mobile SDA if I disable FM sound (but leave the other sounds). The tricky part is to do fast FM.

L.B.

glad to hear its comming along nicely. do u think SNES and GBA support might ever be added?

also on genesis the screen is too small and hard to see unless u set it to 100% or 150% could another video size option be added so its easy to see? like the 240x240 option i was talking about?

Edited by mikeeey

Guest mikeeey
Mmmh plz dont forget there is obviously a mixed up problem when using similar long names for the roms, and the quickload

yes i forgot to mention this to bitbank.

its very confusing trying to load roms when i have a lot of mario or zelda games and they all say:

super mario b...

super mario b...

super mario b...

super mario b...

the legend of...

the legend of...

the legend of...

or something like that.

itl be really confusing when everything looks the same and the only way to see wich rom it is is to click on it.

could this be fixed?

Edited by mikeeey