Sega GG + Nintendo GameBoy emulator for SP beta test

Guest bitbank

Guest typicalexbf

Very interested in the project, especially since it eats up less battery power than when im using coreplayer or the bundled wmp. I was able to run it for a solid 3 hours without a glitch.

I want to register by being a bug tester but I'm afraid I've got little to offer than whats already been mentioned.

I did notice your app does not appreciate when I use it in conjuction with any of my bluetooth accessories, it hops and skips and sometimes requires a hard reset. Not a bug, but more of a hardware limitation.

I don't know if it has been covered or not, but would there be a way to have the option of all background apps being close on the start of smartgear? Besides freeing up a lot of memory it would freshen the startup load.

One last thing: dual core processors are a reality, for smartphones that is. What would be an estimated improvement for dual core claid smartphones if there was a smartgear version optimized for it?

Guest rbueno
SmartGear 0.24 is finally out. Lots of important fixes and performance improvements. The registration key has changed so old registered users will have to re-register. All people who have sent valid bug reports, please email me your owner name for a registration code.

Sorry, still no installer; here's the contents of the readme.txt:

Smartgear 0.24 Readme

Changes for 0.24 - 5/7/2007

---------------------------

This release includes several important fixes and general performance improvement

for all games. Genesis has sped up dramatically, but I have disabled the FM sound

until I can rewrite it to be more efficient. Here are the major changes:

0) Fixed Samsung Blackjack "double-bar" problem.

1) Sped up all graphics routines

2) Added support for 90 degree rotated display.

3) Rewrote Z80 and 68K for improved speed (Genesis + GG/SMS)

4) Added rapid fire (turbo) support (see settings dialog).

5) Rewrote security model to be harder to hack and changed the encrption key.

6) Fixed WM5 display to hide the SIP.

7) Fixed key definition dialog (previously you got stuck on smartphones)

8) Added "C" button support for Genesis games.

9) Fixed the file open dialog to make best use of the available space.

10) Added Sleep() to timing loop to save battery life on fast machines.

11) Fixed volume level to be saved/restored

Please keep sending bug reports and comments.

You can download it from the Modaco link or from my website:

Smartgear.zip

Thanks,

Larry Bank

[email protected]

OK, when I play genesis games and don't press any button, after a few seconds the screen blinks from black to bright again. Maybe it is your "fake" button press implementation.

Additionally, do I have/Can I email you in order to get a key to register?

Regards,

rbueno

Guest mikeeey

hey bitbank i may have misheard you wrong but i was looking forward to this release because i thought i remember you saying you would take off the registering or something along those lines? correct me if im wrong, i never fully understood.

Edited by mikeeey

Guest ninjaw

I have troubles with my registration: the reg option comes back often (after reg, and after each game quit) I dont have any auto save anymore. Alos the reg screen doesnt have any cancel option. Plz note i havent erased my previous game saves.

Also the volume acts strangely, it first go quiet near zero and after that act normal, it stills start far too loud.

I noticed that one screen on GBC suddenly looks corrupted in this version (BustAmove3GBC map)

that was my 3 early troubles

Guest PolloLoco

I'm also having trouble registering. I don't know how to get the program to "accept" the registration code. I've sent you an e-mail on the details.

Guest mikeeey
I have troubles with my registration: the reg option comes back often (after reg, and after each game quit) I dont have any auto save anymore. Alos the reg screen doesnt have any cancel option. Plz note i havent erased my previous game saves.

Also the volume acts strangely, it first go quiet near zero and after that act normal, it stills start far too loud.

I noticed that one screen on GBC suddenly looks corrupted in this version (BustAmove3GBC map)

that was my 3 early troubles

GBC seems to work better for me...

Guest PolloLoco
It looks like I messed up the registration window. I'll upload a fix for this shortly.

L.B.

Man, I can't wait. Specifically, I'd like to see if I can play through Cadash all the way. I got all the way to the boss using Morphgear - and the damn game froze! That's the ultimate test for me - for TG16 that is. Besides that, Legendary Axe 2 is the only really good game that doesn't work too well right now. It's in super slow motion even though I have a fast processor (624 overclocked).

Guest netbeui

Hi Larry, using the latest version I can't redefine my keys. When I press enter I see a window appear and quickly disappear. Then the key assignment for that button gets switched to 0x0D, Enter. I'm running smartgear on a HTC s620 (same hardware as a t-Mobile Dash). Is this an actual problem or am I doing something wrong? Is there a file I can delete to re-assign the default key configuration?

Thanks!

netBEUI

Guest PolloLoco

Any update Larry? Even on just the registration process? I'm eager to see if I can play through some TG16 titles. I find myself checking this thread multiple times a day.

Edited by PolloLoco

Guest PolloLoco

I definitely can - are you sure you grabbed the most recent version? The last he attached to this thread on post 423?

Edited by PolloLoco

Guest netbeui

Yup, I took the last one in this thread. I ran it again just now and checked the About screen. It shows version 0.24 built May 8, 2007.

PS - I tried again just to be sure. I'm still having the problem. I click Options > Define keys, then using my joypad I scroll down to A and press enter and I see something flash on screen very quickly then disappear. I'm assuming when you do the same you see a window pop up that asks you to press a key?

My phone is a HTC s620 - same hardware as a dash. I wonder if there are any dash users out there that are experiencing the same problem as me.

Guest PolloLoco
Yup, I took the last one in this thread. I ran it again just now and checked the About screen. It shows version 0.24 built May 8, 2007.

PS - I tried again just to be sure. I'm still having the problem. I click Options > Define keys, then using my joypad I scroll down to A and press enter and I see something flash on screen very quickly then disappear. I'm assuming when you do the same you see a window pop up that asks you to press a key?

My phone is a HTC s620 - same hardware as a dash. I wonder if there are any dash users out there that are experiencing the same problem as me.

I can't help you there - I use a PPC and clicked the button that says "define".

Guest truant

I have a Dash (running WM6) and 0.24 runs well on it. I didn't have any problems with the Define Keys area, pressing the joypad button (the chrome one) activates the key and then you just press the one you need accordingly.

This is the only TG16 emulator I can get working on my Dash and it works well, plays a lot of games. I am really looking forward to purchasing/registering it. Military Maddness (my favorite game) works really well. I also love World Court Tennis, Bonk, Galaga 90, etc. A few games aren't working like one of my favorites, Dungeon Explorer (only the initial screens work, can't start the game, it crashes). TG16 games are great for smartphones!

Guest ff7vii

ok, i am totally new to all of this, but i have been researching it all and have spent days trying to get a gameboy/color emu to work on my Moto Q from sprint.

I really just want to give you congrats on this emu. It is the only one that works so far. I love it and would gladly pay for a registration code. Also, are you making anymore updates to this? I know that you said the registration screen was a little wacky, as i found out first hand...lol

Anywho, pm or email of there is anyway to pay for a reg code. Again good job. :rolleyes:

Guest ff7vii

netbeui:

Hey, i have the same problem with defining the keys on my Moto Q... i found you have that split second to change them to what you want. It is not so hard if time it right after you select the key to be defined.

Example: I want up to be 'w'... so i highlight the 'up' in the window and press my center key on the d-pad.... and then press 'w' immediately after. This explanation may be over informative, but i figure whatever helps.

Anywho, hope that helps you out.

Guest Karloz

Does anyone managed to run the SmartGear on HTC Canary ? I copied the exe file to Storage Card, and when I try to open it with explorer I get the "UNable to open the file.The system returned the error'unknown error'' error :rolleyes: I get the same error, when trying to run other emulators, and don't know what to do :|

Guest netbeui
netbeui:

Hey, i have the same problem with defining the keys on my Moto Q... i found you have that split second to change them to what you want. It is not so hard if time it right after you select the key to be defined.

Example: I want up to be 'w'... so i highlight the 'up' in the window and press my center key on the d-pad.... and then press 'w' immediately after. This explanation may be over informative, but i figure whatever helps.

Anywho, hope that helps you out.

I haven't tried it yet ff7vii but thanks for the suggestion! Bitbank, do you know about this problem already?

Guest PolloLoco

Larry,

Is there any chance we'll see an update to this software sometime soon? Even if it's just a registration fix?

I'm about to head out on a 3 week business trip - and was hoping to play through some old turbografx games during the flights. I'm going to assume this program won't be fixed by then - but I've been checking this thread daily in the hopes that it would be.

Thanks.

Guest mikeeey

hey bitbank an idea struck my mind this morning. i was thinknig about the NES games that use the gun controler, and i thought, for the people who have pocket pcs, would it be possible to emulate the gun controler through the stylus on the pocket pc? instead of shooting at the screen you would touch it?

Guest truant

Anyone know what happened to the bitbank dude? It's been 3 weeks since he's posted here and no response from email either. Maybe he's on vacation?

Guest bitbank

Karloz,

HTC Canary is SP2002; SmartGear is built as a SP2003 EXE. I could build it to run on that device, but I don't even have EVC3 installed on my machine. I suggest you get a more recent phone. You'll probably find that a lot of software doesn't support SP2002 any more.

netbeui,

I've seen the keydef problem once in the past, but I can't recreate it on any of my current devices. I'll see if I can figure out what's causing it.

PolloLoco,

Yes, I've been very busy lately trying to get other products finished. I'm currently working on a bunch of non-WM software as well as a new release of PQV, Virtual CE, Arkanoid and Qix / SuperQix. I'll try to have 0.25 up by tomorrow. I've been optimizing my JPEG code and when I'm finished it's going to cream the competition. My viewer is already significantly faster than the Resco product (and easier to use).

L.B.

Guest mikeeey
Karloz,

HTC Canary is SP2002; SmartGear is built as a SP2003 EXE. I could build it to run on that device, but I don't even have EVC3 installed on my machine. I suggest you get a more recent phone. You'll probably find that a lot of software doesn't support SP2002 any more.

netbeui,

I've seen the keydef problem once in the past, but I can't recreate it on any of my current devices. I'll see if I can figure out what's causing it.

PolloLoco,

Yes, I've been very busy lately trying to get other products finished. I'm currently working on a bunch of non-WM software as well as a new release of PQV, Virtual CE, Arkanoid and Qix / SuperQix. I'll try to have 0.25 up by tomorrow. I've been optimizing my JPEG code and when I'm finished it's going to cream the competition. My viewer is already significantly faster than the Resco product (and easier to use).

L.B.

any comment about the Nes gun controler>ppc touchscreen suggestion or is it not possible?

Guest netbeui
netbeui,

Thanks bitbank. If you need any more troubleshooting from me just let me know. I can run a debug build on my phone for you too if you want.

Edited by netbeui