Sega GG + Nintendo GameBoy emulator for SP beta test

Guest bitbank

Guest PolloLoco
PolloLoco,

Yes, I've been very busy lately trying to get other products finished. I'm currently working on a bunch of non-WM software as well as a new release of PQV, Virtual CE, Arkanoid and Qix / SuperQix. I'll try to have 0.25 up by tomorrow. I've been optimizing my JPEG code and when I'm finished it's going to cream the competition. My viewer is already significantly faster than the Resco product (and easier to use).

L.B.

That would be awesome. I hope the registration issue is straightened out by then - because I'm flying to Italy on Monday. I'd love to play through some TG16 games on the flight. If not, no big worry - but that's my hope. :-)

Guest mikeeey
Karloz,

HTC Canary is SP2002; SmartGear is built as a SP2003 EXE. I could build it to run on that device, but I don't even have EVC3 installed on my machine. I suggest you get a more recent phone. You'll probably find that a lot of software doesn't support SP2002 any more.

netbeui,

I've seen the keydef problem once in the past, but I can't recreate it on any of my current devices. I'll see if I can figure out what's causing it.

PolloLoco,

Yes, I've been very busy lately trying to get other products finished. I'm currently working on a bunch of non-WM software as well as a new release of PQV, Virtual CE, Arkanoid and Qix / SuperQix. I'll try to have 0.25 up by tomorrow. I've been optimizing my JPEG code and when I'm finished it's going to cream the competition. My viewer is already significantly faster than the Resco product (and easier to use).

L.B.

your image viewer will be faster than resco? resco was pretty good, im curious to see how yours is.

Edited by mikeeey

Guest ninjaw

Wow man, I love Qix, and I really would like a new jpg viewer, where can i get these ?

PS: do you realize we cannot play your smartgear since the new version ?

Guest bitbank
How do you know that? If so - Happy Birthday.

I've just released SmartGear 0.25 which fixes a few minor issues (registration window and frame timing).

L.B.

P.S. - it's not really my birthday. I don't disclose my real birthday for security reasons, but thanks for the thought. :rolleyes:

smartgear.zip

Edited by bitbank

Guest mikeeey
I've just released SmartGear 0.25 which fixes a few minor issues (registration window and frame timing).

L.B.

P.S. - it's not really my birthday. I don't disclose my real birthday for security reasons, but thanks for the thought. :rolleyes:

cool new release.

o i thot it was your birthday cuz it said at the bottom of modaco.

Guest iamanalog

A few things ive noticed with the .25 version is that if i go to define keys the window that says to hold down the key you wish to select stays open for a second and then closes. Im not sure if this is a bug mentioned eariler.

Im running wm6 on a tmo dash by the way.

Also ive noticed that when opening a gameboy color rom, in my case at the moment its for pokemon crystal. all i get is a bunch of werid blocks at the top of the screen and then the program quits. Ive also tryed pokemon silver, with the same results.

Ive gotten the same results running smartgear from the storage card and from the internal storage.

I cant wait for this to go final, before when i had wm5 it ran perfectly and i would denentinly pay 20$ just for the gameboy part alone, keep up the great work.

Guest PolloLoco

Awesome! Perfect timing - I'm flying out tonight and I'm looking forward to Cadash on the TG16. I can confirm that the screen rotate works beautifully - and that the registration field now works as well. Thanks Bit Bank!

The save state works great also. I can also confirm another bug. Regardless of game system (tried nes, sms, tg16) there's a repetitive noise introduced in the background. It's a "brraaap" sound and can be really annoying especially in a paused state where there's no music. It can definitely be lived with when there's music to drown it out, but should be fixed before the final release. I should also add that this happens regardless of sound being mono or stereo, or the frequency you set it to.

This has to be the most combatible tg16 emulator for PPC/SmartPhone there is - and I've tried them all, I think. I may get rid of the Morphgear module now. There's 20 TG16 games on my phone and this emulator plays them all - except for Legendary Axe 2. That game plays slow - and may be the only reason I keep XPCE.

Again, great job BitBank. This emulator is a treat.

Edited by PolloLoco

Guest Denus

Will this go to a final commercial build? (Is a commercial emulator legit anyway according to Nintendo, Sega and others?)

Because I just love the PC Engine part, and I was already looking to register the emulator on the official site.

Apparently, there's no way to buy / register this emulator yet.

This is the best emu ever, and I wish to pay for a reg! :rolleyes:

Guest netbeui

The latest version (.25) fixed the button remap problem that I was previously experiencing on my s620! Thanks Larry! :rolleyes:

Guest PolloLoco

OK - after extensive "testing" over the flight here to Italy, I have some news to report.

First, the good. this emulator allowed me to play all the way through Cadash. Only one other emulator even came close. XPCE couldn't even open the ROM, and Morphgear froze up (requiring a phone reset) repeatedly at the final boss scene. That cements this emulator as the best for TG16 imo.

The bad: Save and Load states need work.

PCE/TG16: Work pretty well (see NES for comparison) - but 70% of the time, the surrounding pixels get distorted on a reload. Everything gets fixed when you walk through a door or close out a level, so I'm trying to save only in similar situations.

NES: You can only write to or access a load file once - until you reset your phone. For example, I'm playing Rygar and I save to slot 1. If I want to reload Rygar - and pick that slot, a mysterious error pops up too quickly to be read, and goes behind the screen. The phone freezes - and your only hope is to force the program to shut down. Even then, you can't reload that slot - UNTIL you reset. The same goes for saving. You can't save to the same slot twice during the same reset sequence.

I've tried to narrow it down by deleting any file created at the same time as the save file - but nothing's worked. It's a frustrating bug, but one that can be worked around until it's fixed. It just means more frequent resetting.

Again, great work Larry. The only problems I've encountered were with saving and loading.

Guest PolloLoco

I've found a better workaround for the save states. If I want to use a load/save slot that I've already used in that playtime, I have to completely exit out of the program. Its ok to save to a slot that's not already used.

Guest kevinsephiroth

Heynhow can I have a "registration" key? I searched Handango without success.

I mean, how can you normally have a reg key? I could be a "beta tester" but with 4 minutes it's not really enough....

I would PAY for this, especially as Parallax 's GNUBoy port on QVGA smartphones has a bug on HTC S710 /WM6.0 devices... But NOBODY cares, so if I can pay/have a reg key.... Thanks for answaring this BitBank.

Guest ninjaw
Heynhow can I have a "registration" key? I searched Handango without success.

I mean, how can you normally have a reg key? I could be a "beta tester" but with 4 minutes it's not really enough....

I would PAY for this, especially as Parallax 's GNUBoy port on QVGA smartphones has a bug on HTC S710 /WM6.0 devices... But NOBODY cares, so if I can pay/have a reg key.... Thanks for answaring this BitBank.

Allready answered tons of time, and you know it, you said it: be a beta tester.

Guest mipermips

Hi, I use all kinds of emulators on my htc but this is a really great one. :rolleyes:

I would like to help with the smartgear can I be beta-tester?

If so, how can I be one?

thanks! :P

btw, good thinking of the full screen mode!

Guest kevinsephiroth
Allready answered tons of time, and you know it, you said it: be a beta tester.

Salut, puisque t'as l'air si bien renseigné mon ptit ninjaw, (vu sur smartphone france) , tu dois savoir comment en devenir un, n'est-ce pas??

Hi, as you seem so well informed dear ninjaw, (seen on smartphone france) , you must know how to become one, don't you?

EDIT:

PS c'est "Already" pas "Allready" .... ALLready signifie Tout pret , alors que Already signifie Déjà LOL

Edited by kevinsephiroth

Guest kevinsephiroth
stop talking and start testing

Already tested it for NES and GBC, and it's not worth compared to the one ported by Parallax20 ... Wish I had stayed on WM5.0 , the only things interesting in WM6.0 is Windows Live , but as you have to download it separatly and it's compliant for WM5.0 ....

Er too bad.

If I had some free time, I would get WM6.0 SDK and look at GNUboy SP's Code...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest torpex

I've been looking for an emulator which allows you to change the screen orientation on the Moto Q. I noticed the orientation setting, changing it from 0, to 90, to 270 doesn't affect the actual orientation on my Q during gameplay. That's something that could be resolved before a full release version.

Guest cdogg2000

I'm using an HTC Oxygen or S310, and it crashes, and just goes back to file explorer, if I rotate the screen to 270 and use anything other than fit2win* or fit2win. I'm using .25 Everything else seems to work ok at the moment. When using fit2win or fit2win* whether fast rendering is enabled or not, it still looks really bad. Anything you need from me to help figure out what's goin on?

Okay, I'm playing Pokemon Gold on my Moto Q right now. Set orientation to 0, fit to window, and sound to stereo, listening with my bluetooth headphones. Couldn't test compatibility too much (I would like to beta test it seriously), but there was a constant popping noise. In addition, the screen was not centered. Looks good so far though, hope to see more...

Guest akuma7703

First let me say I find it amazing, the speeds this emu is capable of, especially being a multi-system emu. Wanted to cop this: heard good things about it...but don't think I'll be buying it until it features on-screen tapzones similar to the excellent PocketEngine, PicoDrive or Genesis Plus emus. I own a Touch and an Eten M500 (TouchFlo is grabbage btw) so tapzones are a must: the more non-intrusive, the better.

Suggestion: I figure that tapzones may be a problem because this app emulates different systems so how about a generic 2 or 3 button system that'll cater for a majority of the systems emulated? The specific order wouldn't matter much as keys can be reconfigured within most games.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bitbank

I appreciate the support from the people on this forum in terms of helpful bug reports and patience.

Well after much consideration, I've decided to try paid registrations. I am trying to wrap everything up this week to release it by Friday. Here's what I've decided:

The registration fee of $10 will get you the Desktop PC, Pocket PC and SmartPhone versions. Supported systems will be the GB/GBC, NES, GG and SMS. Genesis and TG16 will not be unlocked because of potential future conflicts of interest. Save states will be sharable between the Desktop PC and mobile versions. Initially I will only accept payment through PayPal until I can see the viability of the project. This seems like a fair deal compared to how much MorphGear and Marat charge.

Comments or suggestions?

L.B.