Sega GG + Nintendo GameBoy emulator for SP beta test

Guest bitbank

Guest PolloLoco
I appreciate the support from the people on this forum in terms of helpful bug reports and patience.

Well after much consideration, I've decided to try paid registrations. I am trying to wrap everything up this week to release it by Friday. Here's what I've decided:

The registration fee of $10 will get you the Desktop PC, Pocket PC and SmartPhone versions. Supported systems will be the GB/GBC, NES, GG and SMS. Genesis and TG16 will not be unlocked because of potential future conflicts of interest. Save states will be sharable between the Desktop PC and mobile versions. Initially I will only accept payment through PayPal until I can see the viability of the project. This seems like a fair deal compared to how much MorphGear and Marat charge.

Comments or suggestions?

L.B.

Can you explain why TG16 games will not be unlocked? That's what sets your emulator apart from all others, imo. Is the conflict about another emulator you're working on?

Guest dario69
Can you explain why TG16 games will not be unlocked? That's what sets your emulator apart from all others, imo. Is the conflict about another emulator you're working on?

Exactly, that and the Genesis emu. Right now Smartgear is the fastest at handling TG16 and Genesis. Otherwise I can get the others running just fine with other freeware emu's.

Guest mikeeey
I appreciate the support from the people on this forum in terms of helpful bug reports and patience.

Well after much consideration, I've decided to try paid registrations. I am trying to wrap everything up this week to release it by Friday. Here's what I've decided:

The registration fee of $10 will get you the Desktop PC, Pocket PC and SmartPhone versions. Supported systems will be the GB/GBC, NES, GG and SMS. Genesis and TG16 will not be unlocked because of potential future conflicts of interest. Save states will be sharable between the Desktop PC and mobile versions. Initially I will only accept payment through PayPal until I can see the viability of the project. This seems like a fair deal compared to how much MorphGear and Marat charge.

Comments or suggestions?

L.B.

great to see u post again.

i have a question. do u think anytime in the future you will emulate anything else? GBA, SNES, MAME?

Guest Menneisyys

Comments or suggestions?

L.B.

I'd also like to announce that this also means SmartGear will be nominated in ALL the related / supported categories in the Smartphone & Pocket PC Mag Best Software Awards 2007 http://www.pocketpcmag.com/awards/category...07_newquery.asp .

Again, thanks Larry for the EXCELLENT work!

Guest Menneisyys
great to see u post again.

i have a question. do u think anytime in the future you will emulate anything else? GBA, SNES, MAME?

M68000 emulation would indeed be great if written in assembly - think of the speed!

Guest bitbank

The only other system emulation I've considered is AtariST/Amiga. If there's enough interest I might pursue that.

I've decided to leave all the emulators enabled for now.

The product page is ready --> SmartGear Web Page

The installers are ready and include the Desktop PC version of SmartGear.

Registration is $10 through paypal (there's a link on the page).

Please let me know how the Desktop PC version works. It hasn't gotten as much testing as the mobile version.

Thanks,

L.B.

Guest mikeeey

so how goes the progress of the sound code for genesis? right now the speed sure seems great.

o and i was suggseting GBA because the games are still being made, and with so many of them, and it's a popular gaming device, i was thinking you might actually make more of a profit on something where the games are still being developed. your only Competitor (of the emulators that cost) is morphgear, and it's GBA emulator is very slow.

but again it was only a suggestion :)

Guest nothin

if you make amiga emu, that is able to work on 400 mhz+ xscale, you will be hero. Hero with lots of copies sold.

Many are starving to have Amy emu... pocketuae contains old motorola code, i do not know, if FAST mc68xxx code used in genesis and (as far as i know) finalburn could be used to fast amy emulation...

AtariST emulator is available for ppc's(castCE) and it is VERY good (STUNT CAR RACEEEER).

btw.. I can't imagine amy or ST emulation without touch screen...

But i can imagine Lightwave on emulated machine( :) ).

Edited by nothin

Guest mekaia
The only other system emulation I've considered is AtariST/Amiga. If there's enough interest I might pursue that.

I've decided to leave all the emulators enabled for now.

The product page is ready --> SmartGear Web Page

The installers are ready and include the Desktop PC version of SmartGear.

Registration is $10 through paypal (there's a link on the page).

Please let me know how the Desktop PC version works. It hasn't gotten as much testing as the mobile version.

Thanks,

L.B.

I've tried 0.26 in my very old E100 (Tanager) upgrade with WM 2003. I know this is ridiculous but it works like a charm and it runs smoothly! :) Although the problem was a 'clicking' sound (even the phone volume was 0, still it hears). Maybe try to use the system volume instead of the separate volume on the Smartgear (I notice this that I adjust the phone volume to full and the volume of the Smartgear low, and it doesn't change the phone volume itself), I think this will remove the clicking sound I heard.

Too bad this version cannot install in my phone. ;)

Anyway, keep up the good work. :P

Guest Menneisyys
so how goes the progress of the sound code for genesis? right now the speed sure seems great.

o and i was suggseting GBA because the games are still being made, and with so many of them, and it's a popular gaming device, i was thinking you might actually make more of a profit on something where the games are still being developed. your only Competitor (of the emulators that cost) is morphgear, and it's GBA emulator is very slow.

but again it was only a suggestion :)

MG's GBA support is indeed VERY bad (no wonder I didn't nominate it for the Awards 2007).

However, there are several other GBA emulators: GBACE and PocketGBA, just to name the two best.

(Nevertheless, I'd also welcome GBA support in SmartGear)

Guest Menneisyys
if you make amiga emu, that is able to work on 400 mhz+ xscale, you will be hero. Hero with lots of copies sold.

Many are starving to have Amy emu... pocketuae contains old motorola code, i do not know, if FAST mc68xxx code used in genesis and (as far as i know) finalburn could be used to fast amy emulation...

AtariST emulator is available for ppc's(castCE) and it is VERY good (STUNT CAR RACEEEER).

Agreed. While CastCE is pretty good (albeit it does have its problems; most importantly, the mouse cursor control problem - see my related review), PocketUAE sucks very bad and is practically useless. A decent (!) Amiga emulator would certainly be welcome!

Guest nothin
Agreed. While CastCE is pretty good (albeit it does have its problems; most importantly, the mouse cursor control problem - see my related review), PocketUAE sucks very bad and is practically useless. A decent (!) Amiga emulator would certainly be welcome!

cursor problems in catce are similar to dosbox(but not pdosbox,hm) ones...

Amiga is far more complicated machine, than ST

it is sad, that "nosound" is not making any change while DMA is striclty linked to cpu....

i could live without sound while playing "perihelion"(one of best Amy games..), or galaga DELUXE (damn GOOD)... but never seen machine that is able to provide...possibility to have fun with puae... author seems to be gone...

that new fast motorola cpu routines - may it help?

short description, what i am trying to say for two last posts...:

Amiga emulation is far harder to get, that GBA emulation, try to figure it out, young men :) ).

Edited by nothin

Guest Menneisyys
Amiga emulation is far harder to get, that GBA emulation, try to figure it out, young men :) ).

Not necessarily - just take a look at GP2X UAE4ALL (on which I've also elaborated in my articles), which has just got an update for 0.7.0. It' erfectly playable on even on the definitely worse hardware of the GP2X.

Guest ninjaw

mmmmhhh I'd like to remember that GBC is the core emu of smartgear.

I confirm last version of smartgear got GBC problem : You can see the corrupted map of Bust A Move 4 GBC and both Micromachines GBC games are refusing now to launch what's happened to the GBC in 0.27 ?

Guest bitbank
mmmmhhh I'd like to remember that GBC is the core emu of smartgear.

I confirm last version of smartgear got GBC problem : You can see the corrupted map of Bust A Move 4 GBC and both Micromachines GBC games are refusing now to launch what's happened to the GBC in 0.27 ?

Please check that it's not a load/save issue by unchecking "Autoload" in the settings. There are still some problems in the load/save code to fix.

I released a new version today which appears to fix the "clicking sound" problem. Go to the main page and download version 0.28:

SmartGear Web Page

Larry B.

Guest ninjaw
Please check that it's not a load/save issue by unchecking "Autoload" in the settings. There are still some problems in the load/save code to fix.

I released a new version today which appears to fix the "clicking sound" problem. Go to the main page and download version 0.28:

SmartGear Web Page

Larry B.

edit: oh right that work

About 0.28 : it says to me 0.27, and i simply NEVER COULD install it, even with copying/installing the cab manually on storage card, constantly saying 'not enough free mem space' the only way i found was to extract/GuessAName the executable with winrar .... C600 are very short on classic memory I actually got 600KB and cannot change it, what about offering zipped exe ?

Edited by ninjaw

Guest PolloLoco

I can confirm that the version number in "about" still says 0.27. That said, the clicking sound appears to have been fixed. However, for Genesis - most sound has yet to be enabled.

Guest ninjaw

Ok, I tried again, and finally, Micro Machines 2 & 3 on GBC are working perfectly.

However Micro Machines 2 on GG is FAR better, and the only bug is on each non moving menu a litle bit too upside :

mm2ggnp6.png

Same thing but worst on Micro Machines 1 on GG :

mm1ggmb4.png

Strangely close to the new tiny bug on Bust a move 4 on GBC that appeared with 0.27 :

bam4gbcjz3.png

I watched at save files, this is working but bad names, for example, Micro Machines 1&2 are sharing the same on GG and same thing on GBC for Bust a Move 4 & Millenium and probably all B&W previous versions ?

Guest Cescone

Hello BitBank, I'm testing SmartGear with my brand new Samsung SGH-I620V that have a landscape QVGA screen (320x240).

So far it's working quite well, so well that I didn't wasted time and I have registered it immediately. There is just one small issue: a small row that appears on the very bottom of the screen every time I load a game, any game... it happens to me with any emulated machine I have tried.

I have made a photo with SmartGear running on the phone, so you'll see the issue by yourself...

foto9xx9.jpg

Can I also suggest you a feature that could be very interesting and useful IMHO ?

You should allow the users to have different key mappings for each different game.

For example... imagine yourself playing a "breakout / arkanoid" style game... wouldn't it be easier to play if you could move the racket with the jog dial on your phone?

But still mapping the jog dial to the left and right movements wouldn't work for some other games; and so, you may also like to be able to return back to the usual d-pad key assignment for some games, while keeping the jog dial use for some other. The real deal is that we are playing on a tiny device many games that were designed to be played with a comfortable joypad, so you simply can't get a good single control layout for every game you play IMHO

Thanks in advance for your time

Edited by Cescone

Guest ninjaw
However Micro Machines 2 on GG is FAR better, and the only bug is on each non moving menu a litle bit too upside :

I found what's wrong with Micro Machines 2 GG, it refuses to launch without sound, and if i use my bluetooth stereo, it wont work at all.

Great emulator, but the sound support for Genesis is really bad. I dont get anything but the beat track and a few bass lines in the Sonic games I've tested. In addition, it runs really sluggish with sound on (but this is expected). I'm running on a 312 Mhz Xscale processor, but I'm hoping you can manage to get the emulation up to speed so I can play at a semi enjoyable level. Also, SNES support and Atari support would be awesome. I wouldn't mind having the full gamot of old-school goodness on my smartphone. (If you ever get GBA running on it at a reasonable speed, I would seriously pay up to $40 dollars for it, although I know its a longshot).

Guest dario69

Larry,

Not sure if this is a bug or just something you haven't fully implemented yet. It was mentioned a few posts back the saved games was buggy but I noticed it only affects Genesis games. While the games are getting saved to the saved games folder loading the Genesis saves causes the emulator to crash. PCEngine is doing pretty good with the saved games though so I am guessing Genesis support is still preliminary.

Thanks.

Guest netbeui

I would definitely buy this if you added ST emulation!!! AFAIK there is no ST emulator for smartphone yet...