Sega GG + Nintendo GameBoy emulator for SP beta test

Guest bitbank

Guest trippenz
Can you please implement any of these requests in a future release please:

7. Cheat Devices for some of the emulators (Especially GameBoy)

8. Support or tool to convert the .sav files made by VisualBoy Advance to the SmartGear format and from SmartGear to VisualBoy

9. Better Icon (In this modern world of Windows Mobile 6 and Windows Vista the icons are an important visual element and can turn people off of your product)

Cheat Devices= Only if enough people want it

Why visualboy advance just use the desktop version of smartgear and the sav files can be used in the mobile edition and vise-versa

if you want a better icon. thats way to easy. you can use a icon editor in windows to change the icon

Yes L.B. is working hard on other projects that is why we have yet to have an update or hear from him.

I to is working a project for windows currently and will port to windows mobile when finished.

Guest johnambler41577
Cheat Devices= Only if enough people want it

Why visualboy advance just use the desktop version of smartgear and the sav files can be used in the mobile edition and vise-versa

if you want a better icon. thats way to easy. you can use a icon editor in windows to change the icon

Yes L.B. is working hard on other projects that is why we have yet to have an update or hear from him.

I to is working a project for windows currently and will port to windows mobile when finished.

I would definetly love to see cheat devices enabled on smart gear!!

Guest hanfeitzu

hey l.b. I realize that in a multi-system emulator, you have to prioritize what features you implement... but I would really like to see the clock system from some gb titles (pokemon silver/gold) added. I believe it was mentioned earlier in the thread and dismissed, but I REALLY encourage you to take a look at it. I know it is correctly emulated in visualboy, so it IS possible... and without it, silver/gold really are not worth playing. I have paid for a registered version of your program, so hopefully my request holds a little weight. respectfully, justin

Guest asrrin29
hey l.b. I realize that in a multi-system emulator, you have to prioritize what features you implement... but I would really like to see the clock system from some gb titles (pokemon silver/gold) added. I believe it was mentioned earlier in the thread and dismissed, but I REALLY encourage you to take a look at it. I know it is correctly emulated in visualboy, so it IS possible... and without it, silver/gold really are not worth playing. I have paid for a registered version of your program, so hopefully my request holds a little weight. respectfully, justin

I agree, Games that rely on the clock are difficult to play without it. However, in the meantime, there is a way you can reset the clock if you google it online. I have done this to trigger time sensitive events on those games.

Guest hanfeitzu
I agree, Games that rely on the clock are difficult to play without it. However, in the meantime, there is a way you can reset the clock if you google it online. I have done this to trigger time sensitive events on those games.

good info. I didn't know that was possible.

Unfortunately it requires pressing three buttons at once, which is not possible on the ppc (hardware limitation, not a software issue i believe).

So, though it may be a good fix for the desktop emulator it doesn't fix the issue on the handheld. thanks for the help though.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest slugshot_90

ive noticed that when playing sonic the hedgehog 3 on genisis the sound is really choppy and when you go to start a new game or a load a game it doesnt a show a picture for what level you are on, also for some reason i cannot see any of my roms for snes when going to open one, and that when i go to define the keys for snes there is only 3 buttons

Guest johnambler41577

I've seen some people mention that smartgear can run SNES on the smartphones.... is there a certian version that does this or am I doing something wrong?

Guest PolloLoco

Just read the freaking thread, especially slugshot_90 - since you started a new one without even looking.

In short, there's NO SNES support yet, hopefully someday soon. Genesis games don't have full sound support, because the emulator is too slow with all sound enabled. Use Picodrive for genesis instead.

Guest rushmore
Just read the freaking thread, especially slugshot_90 - since you started a new one without even looking.

In short, there's NO SNES support yet, hopefully someday soon. Genesis games don't have full sound support, because the emulator is too slow with all sound enabled. Use Picodrive for genesis instead.

I thought the same about Genesis, but the Game gear and Sega sound is not much better. A lot have the same clicking or high pitched noise. I mainly play NES and TGX16, so it is not much of an issue to me.

Guest johnambler41577

That's what I had thought. I was just curious and thought I would ask after a few people from this forum and another mentioned something vague about SNES running on smartgear. They must be confusing it with Morphgear. Doesn't hurt to ask!

Guest kburkhart84
That's what I had thought. I was just curious and thought I would ask after a few people from this forum and another mentioned something vague about SNES running on smartgear. They must be confusing it with Morphgear. Doesn't hurt to ask!

Yeah. Morphgear runs (sort of) SNES games with the SNES plugin for it. Smartgear is getting SNES support worked on, hence the options and keypad config shows SNES options, though you won't play any SNES games yet. Apparently on the PC version, bitbank already has a little SNES support, but it is definetly not ready for Mobile.

Guest bitbank
Yeah. Morphgear runs (sort of) SNES games with the SNES plugin for it. Smartgear is getting SNES support worked on, hence the options and keypad config shows SNES options, though you won't play any SNES games yet. Apparently on the PC version, bitbank already has a little SNES support, but it is definetly not ready for Mobile.

Sorry for the long absence; I'm super busy working on a bunch of commercial game products. I'm going to spend some time on SmartGear this weekend, so if anyone has any specific problems, please let me know now. One thing that I will fix is the volume setting not being saved after you play a game. I've sporadically seen problems with the load/save, so I'll do some more testing on that code. I've also optimized the Genesis FM sound a bit, so I'll see if it's usable on any mobile devices and I'll add it as a checkbox option.

L.B.

Guest kburkhart84
Sorry for the long absence; I'm super busy working on a bunch of commercial game products. I'm going to spend some time on SmartGear this weekend, so if anyone has any specific problems, please let me know now. One thing that I will fix is the volume setting not being saved after you play a game. I've sporadically seen problems with the load/save, so I'll do some more testing on that code. I've also optimized the Genesis FM sound a bit, so I'll see if it's usable on any mobile devices and I'll add it as a checkbox option.

L.B.

I wouldn't know how to reproduce this error as it is kind of random. In Zelda: Oracle of Ages, the program randomly exits. Sometimes, it goes for a long time, other times it goes a couple minutes many times. Other games don't do this though, at least that I have tested. It also seems sensitive to saving because there is a tendency for the game to close right after unpausing the emulation right after a save(I mean smartgear save, not ROM save).

Also, for any games(emulator issue perhaps), when the program is started, start and select don't work, though the keyboard config still has them as they were set last. If I "set" start to whatever, then suddenly both start and select work for whatever game I'm playing, even if it is the same button it shows isalready the set button for "start". This happens with any game. Also, resetting any game or loading other games has no effect, as long as smartgear itself isn't closed. As in, once I "fix" it, I can play as long as I want(with the exception of the bug from the zelda game mentioned above) without having to "fix" the buttons again.

Guest kuriel5205

hey bitbank, i bought your software smartgear, i think that , smartgear should be a gameboy advance emulator too... whith a update free for us... sorry 4 my english...

deberia ser un gba emulador con una actualizacion gratuita para nosotros los compradores, no creen? gracias x la atencion bitbank...

thank you 4 read, bitbank...

Guest kuriel5205

L.B.

hey bitbank, i bought your software smartgear, i think that , smartgear should be a gameboy advance emulator too... whith a update free for us... sorry 4 my english...

deberia ser un gba emulador con una actualizacion gratuita para nosotros los compradores, no creen? gracias x la atencion bitbank...

thank you 4 read, bitbank...

Guest asrrin29

Hey bitbank! glad to see you are doing ok. I mentioned earlier that the gamboy emulator has a problem with the keys not functioning when the program initially starts up. the only thing that works is the button to suspend the ROM and go back to the menu screen. after that, any ROM I get back into the buttons will work fine. I am using an i-mate SPL with WM6 and your latest emulator.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest johnambler41577

I've also noticed the combinations of buttons pressed can present some problems. For example I own a T-Mobile dash, and say I play the Gameboy game MegaMan Xtreme, I have trouble trying to jump and fire at the same time or jump and hit the D-pad at an angle to allow me to jump at an angle. But if I play this same game in Gnuboy it seems to work okay.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest rushmore

LB,

I know you have been asked this, but...

Any chance of porting Smartgear to Symbian OS? There are a gazillion Nokia device out there. In fact, I am considering

getting a N95-3 (has headphone jack, camera and better screen than my Dash).

I think this is an untapped market. The java based emu's are not as good as your emu.

A real HUGE issue is that there are no Turbografx emu's for Symbian devices. Tears.

Edited by rushmore

Guest johnambler41577
I've also noticed the combinations of buttons pressed can present some problems. For example I own a T-Mobile dash, and say I play the Gameboy game MegaMan Xtreme, I have trouble trying to jump and fire at the same time or jump and hit the D-pad at an angle to allow me to jump at an angle. But if I play this same game in Gnuboy it seems to work okay.

Nevermind... I may have figured that one out, I just remapped some keys and for some funny reason it works a lot better. :D

Guest postalp

Just tried it out, great EMU!

Runs Genesis games faster than PICODrive on my T-Mobile Shadow!

I noticed that the current version (1.0.4) shows SNES as an option, but after noticing the unsupported key config (and wont recognize SNES games) that SNES functionality isnt operational yet.

I am REALLY looking forward to SNES/GBA support from this emulator, once that happens it may just replace my other 4 emu's.

Keep up the good work Larry!

Guest coisbot

Hey bitbank,

Glad to know your emulator is out there. Honestly, I thought that by upgrading to the HTC diamond would make games a lot faster, but that wasn't the case. On my previous HTC Tytn (and even the HTC Wizard) game gear and NES games would play at full speed on MorphGear with no frameskip, so I'll be honest, I didn't have much interest in Smartgear. :D

But now that I have the diamond...the 640x480 resolution screen is beautiful and may have four times the pixels, but it also makes MorphGear four times slower. PicoDrive and PocketSNES also run significantly slower...I was about to give up hope of emulation on the Diamond when I remembered SmartGear.

Your emulator is by FAR the fastest on VGA screens. For example, with throttling turned off, Zelda: Oracle of Seasons runs at an average of 75fps on scaled fullscreen (that's taking up about 70% of the screen in portait mode), but in MorphGear, only taking up 50% of the screen the game only runs at 28FPS. MorphGear is damn slow.

Keep up the great work and I hope to see an SNES emulator soon!

Edited by coisbot