how can i have a animated home screen??

Guest madmaxedcn

Guest zeta101

if you have the 2002 operating system on your mpx200 (which is what it comes preloaded with) then you cant really have an animated homescreen. There is a plugin called the LCD plugin that i think does some very basic animations for a battery meter, but i think you want to have custom animations? say for example to have animated .gif picture files on your homescreen?

If this is the case then you would have to upgrade your phone to the 2003 operating system. There is plenty of posts on this site concerning upgrading...make sure you read some of them before attempting. Also, im not sure if you can downgrade back to 2002 later if you dont like 2003 (i dont have a mpx200 you see, so im not sure) so make sure you read the posts and look for any problems there *might* be with the 2003 operating system on the mpx200.

OK, now the reason you have installed the 2003 OS is that the internet explorer supports animated gifs in 2003 but not 2002. Now you need a plugin for you homescreen called the RJHTML plugin. This allows you to have HTML content (essentially mini webpages) on your homescreen. You can then write a very simple html page that has your animated gif in it, and any other info you want, and then integrate it into your homescreen.

At the moment the plugin is in a beta stage i think, and its only available to modaco plus members of this site. Click on the link to see about modaco plus.

This is all pretty complicated, im guessing you are new to windows smartphones?...you may want to learn more about how homescreens work and do some simple ones, without the RJHTML plugin, and then give it a go, otherwise you may be discouraged because it seems really complicated at first (and it isnt that bad)

Good luck...

Guest zeta101

yeah but you cant customise the free version can you? it will only show whatever midnight had set, which i think was a rotating modaco "M"?

Guest Exodia
AFAIK the free version of the html plugin will still show animated gifs!?  Murders your battery tho.

Murders your battery?? How so??

Ive been wanting to make my own homescreen with animated gifs, but i didnt know that the free version of the plugin did that. Now that i know, i'll give it a try, but i need my battery to last at least 2 days with normal usage. How does having this plugin with animated gifs kill your battery, please explain. :P

Guest drblow

I just mean it drains your battery power very significantly. :? I'm not sure what you can do with the free version of the html plugin though. It's encoded in the xml, so I'm not sure if you can edit it in any way. Still, there are plenty of OTHER GOOD REASONS aswell to join modaco plus, if it doesn't work!! :wink:

Animated homescreens are great to look at, but ultimately I have stayed away from them as my battery life, which usually lasts about 8 hours of an average working day, down to about 4 hours - (I use my phone almost constantly in work for mp3s, browsing/emails, and reading mobipocket!).

Guest Exodia

Thanks DrBlow

I understood when you said it murders the battery, i was just curious as to the reason why. Does running a gif on the homescreen cause something to run continuously thus causing battery drain?

In any case, i cant do it with the free version (just read through midnights post) and i cant become a plus member because none of the methods of payment are available to my country.

I'm wondering the same thing as you exodia. if it runs continuously, does it keep going when your phone is closed? and doesn't that result in a "slower" phone? because if that's the case I wouldn't think it's worth the fuss.

Pigo

ooh allmost forgot.

as soon as flash homescreens are possible it WILL be worth it and I'll start making some myself right away! gif's are way to heavy! flash rock's when it comes to size

Pigo