E200 ROM released on Orange UK!

Guest shardy

Guest Pondrew

Initial impressions:

Slight improvement in battery (not gonna set the world alight though)

Improved all round speaker volume and clarity. Still no bass though.

Errr... can't remember anything else of note, haven't tried out bluetooth at all.

Guest robbyb

Woo hooooooooooooo!

Now I can answer calls on my Motorola Bluetooth Car Kit!

B4 the update I could make a call but couldn't press the answer button on the kit to take a call.

Now I can!

I now declare myself content with the E200. Thanks Orange! It's been a long time coming, but you kept plugging away and you didn't give up on the E200.

I'm still gonna buy the MPx though...

Guest ferret

I had a replacement handset from orange and this ROM was all ready installed. Can't notice any difference. Battery life sucks, SD card crashes .........

Guest badboy4life

I installed this update yesterday and I'm impressed, especially after how disappointed I was after the first update! Well at least I think its the update - the battery life seems to have improved so mush, however this could be related to the fact I reset when the battery was fully charged.

I've made a couple of mins of calls, had the SD card in constantly and also played a few holes of Links and the battery life after 24 hours is still 71%!!! - Hopefully this will improve even more once I've removed the IA Caller ID from start up! And another thing - the SD card has not crashed!!

Haven't had a chance to test the bluetooth, but I was fairly happy with it pre-update and I haven't noticed any difference in speaker volume.

Guest Toyota-F1.com
What is involved in the aformentioned 'full-charge-http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewtopic.php?p=97945#97945>hard-reset'?

should you http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewtopic.php?p=97945#97945>Hard Reset before installing the new rom?

A full-charge-hard-reset is a recent discovery where if you charge your phone fully before a hard-reset/ROM update the battery lasts longer when you use it. I'm not sure if it's proven, but many claim their phones have a longer battery life.

i had a replacement handset yesterday with rom already installed. no crashes so far and no sd problems either! either they have fixed it or they applied the update to this handset prior to the last release. ie the original rom.if that is the case, i wonder if its possible to go back to the original rom then apply the new update for those people with the bug. i suppose the rom would need a hack but should be possible?

also clear type has been removed. not that bothered though. just glad the sd problem appears to be fixed.

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest MrMagoo

Installed 4pm friday -

had SD card in since 12pm saturday ,

only made about 15 mins calls

had bluetooth on for activesync for about 1/2 hour

and taken 1 photo...

and at 11am sunday i still have 35% charge -

thats an average of 41 mins per % drop - leaving enough juice for another day without charge which will be a total of nearly three days on one charge!!!

Guest Cybertronic

Hmmm.. When I close Internet Explorer, the G symbol where the reception is, says there, even though IE was closed with QuickClose, anyone have a solution or is this a bug in this ROM as it hasn't happened to me before :cry:

Guest Toyota-F1.com
Hmmm.. When I close Internet Explorer, the G symbol where the reception is, says there, even though IE was closed with QuickClose, anyone have a solution or is this a bug in this ROM as it hasn't happened to me before :cry:

I'm pretty sure I have this, and I have the original ROM, 1.1.1.4 :P

Guest badboy4life

Closing IE doesn't tell the phone to disconnect the GPRS connection, this has always been the case. If you press the hang up button or lock the keypad then the GPRS connections should close and the G should disappear.

Just updated my E200 - no major problems, although it took me the best part of a day to reload all my software and set everything up again! Not sure whether I prefer the ClearType or not but can live without it....on that note is there any way of re-enabling it? I do find the audio quality better on calls too.

Had some Bluetooth and GPRS connection problems which were eventually resolved. My main observation is that, contrary to some reports, I have NOT had to application unlock my phone again.

Nice to see Orange supporting it's customers, although i suspect this will be the last E200 update we'll see....

Guest the loc-man

ok I haven't done the ROM upgrade yet, have only had my E200 for a month.

does IA Caller ID reduce battery life? I have been messing about with this but will not use it if it affects battery life. how do you disable it?

cheers

LOC

Guest Pondrew
I'm pretty sure I have this, and I have the original ROM, 1.1.1.4 :P

Toyota, you're looking at the radio version. This Rom (as in Operator rom) is version 2.7.1.1. I'm suspecting you've got the previous version 2.6.x

In case you're interested, the radio version of the new Rom is 1.12.04 and it's becoming obvious that there are no bugs/downsides to upgrading (assuming you know how to turn Cleartype back on, that is) so why not give it a go?

EDIT: Before the Imate advocates start ripping my previous statement to shreds, I'm talking about upgrading from an older Orange Rom for those of us that decide to stick with original supplier support, and the apparent fact that nothing is made worse by the update (even if it is missing features that the Imate has).

Guest Disco Stu

Cleartype can be got from www.customcabbage.co.uk.

The E200 has never been fully application unlocked, but some things won't install without it.

IA Caller Id can be uninstalled the usual ways - try deleting the file in the Storage Windows Startup folder ; that's a popular tweak.

And I'm not bothering to upgrade either !

Guest Toyota-F1.com

Toyota, you're looking at the radio version. This Rom (as in Operator rom) is version 2.7.1.1. I'm suspecting you've got the previous version 2.6.x

In case you're interested, the radio version of the new Rom is 1.12.04 and it's becoming obvious that there are no bugs/downsides to upgrading (assuming you know how to turn Cleartype back on, that is) so why not give it a go?

EDIT: Before the Imate advocates start ripping my previous statement to shreds, I'm talking about upgrading from an older Orange Rom for those of us that decide to stick with original supplier support, and the apparent fact that nothing is made worse by the update (even if it is missing features that the Imate has).

Well in Start>Settings>About it says my radio version is 1.09.00 and below it says my ROM Update Versions: Operator: 1.1.1.4; Maunfacturer 1.6.0.0 etc.

The reason is that from what I've read about the 2.6.1.3 update SD Card crashing,low volume etc. I never had any problems many people mentioned for the original ROM, e.g. buzzing, SD Card eating battery (I proved this with my battery life test), and my battery life is decent and I'm happy with my phone, although I would like to try the update.

I'll see what more people say about this ROM, although I may leave mine as is because I'm very very happy with it :D

Guest Pondrew
Well in Start>Settings>About it says my radio version is 1.09.00 and below it says my ROM Update Versions: Operator: 1.1.1.4; Maunfacturer 1.6.0.0 etc.

The reason is that from what I've read about the 2.6.1.3 update SD Card crashing,low volume etc. I never had any problems many people mentioned for the original ROM, e.g. buzzing, SD Card eating battery (I proved this with my battery life test), and my battery life is decent and I'm happy with my phone, although I would like to try the update.

I'll see what more people say about this ROM, although I may leave mine as is because I'm very very happy with it :P

Ah, my mistake, sorry. Didn't realise the original original Rom had such a low number. It is an Orange SPV E200 rather then a Qtek or something else?

Guest Pondrew

Oh, and if like me you didn't want to put the custom cabbage startup screen on your 'phone, you can turn on Cleartype by using the Orange application linked to in the following thread...

click here

Guest Toyota-F1.com

Oh yeah, definitely the Orange SPV E200, bought over the phone from Orange delivered on 2 February 2004 (Monday) :P and I love my phone to bits :D

Guest Disco Stu

Which ROM do you have?

1.6.0.0 - same as yergoodself :P

I have no problems with it. Unless the battery life can be doubled I'm not bothering to upgrade.

Guest Toyota-F1.com

1.6.0.0 - same as yergoodself :P

I have no problems with it. Unless the battery life can be doubled I'm not bothering to upgrade.

Do you mean 1.1.1.4?

I never realised both things changed when the ROM is updated.

Anyway, I don't even know what both things represent, and I don't need to know, we have the same ROM anyway... :D

Guest Disco Stu
Oh, and if like me you didn't want to put the custom cabbage startup screen on your 'phone,

That rings a bell, but its not there now :?

EDIT : Sorry for confusing you Toyota ! Yes, we're using exactly the same version :P