Using i600 as Modem via IR

Guest calzon65

Guest calzon65

I just upgraded to SmartPhone 2003 and was looking for information on how to use my i600 as a modem with my laptop when traveling. I specifically wanted to connect to my laptop via the IR port on the phone and the laptop.

I found an article while back that spoke to this very issue. Here is a link:

http://usatoday.jiwire.com/samsung-sch-i60...bleshooting.htm

But now when I follow those directions using SmartPhone 2003, the Modem Link function under Accessories (Start-More-More-Accessories) no longer exists. I also saw similar directions to do the same thing on this website, but they seem to refer to SmartPhone 2002.

I wondered if anyone might have a solution?

Guest calzon65

The more I research and read comments on other boards about Modem Link, the more I get a sinking feeling someone at Microsoft, Samsung or Verizon either intentionally or accidentally did not include the Modem Link option in SmartPhone 2003 on the Samsung i600.

This is so typical of the crappy level of support (now it’s a lack of software feature continuity between versions) for the Samsung i600. What a comedy of errors this past year as Samsung and Verizon try to deliver the SmartPhone 2003 upgrade to the i600 users or even provide some minimum level of competent support.

It’s seems that these two companies have no experience properly supporting software applications. Compared to these two bone head companies, Microsoft does a fantastic job.

Months of delays, incomplete/inaccurate upgrade instructions, lots of bugs and now this “Modem Link incident”…I guess it will take years for these hardware/wireless companies to learn how to properly support software applications.

Guest mark_k

I have said it before, Verizon should get out of the hardware business and just be a cell phone service provider. Let other companies that sell computers sell and support the hardware. At least on the level of "SmartPhones".

• 2 months later...
Guest kehardman

You need to go back and read the directions again. The change you make on the i600 is under Start/Settings/More/Phone Settings/Other

From the way I read it, you change the USB setting from Active Sync to External Data Call.

I have not tried this yet, but will this evening. I don't have the USB drivers for my laptop with me.

I have just tried this and I can not get it to dial out.

I have it set to External Data.

I have Connect using set to Modem-Standard Modem over IR link and

I tried Infered Modem Poret (Serial 1-0) and

I have the IR activated on the phone.

My PC can see the phone no problem.

Anyone get this to work?

Guest kehardman

I got a connect using the USB interface and dialing 777 as described. I had to install the USB drivers on the computer before the computer could talk to the phone as a modem.

Connected and went to several web pages. Did not try VPN.

I also connected to earthlink using a local phone number.

• 1 year later...
Guest Furball Zen
I have had USB connection working sense November of 2003.

My question is about IR.

Anyone get IR Modem to work?

Thanks

Mark

Can you email me the USB drivers youre using? I have tried all kinds, even one supposedly from Samsung before they claimed to not support it.

[email protected]

Thanks.