Pauls C500 Review - Updated 12/08 23:45

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest pug206

i gote my c500 today and it is a cracking phone its my first smartphone the shop only had 1 in stock and they let me have it im so pleased with this phone :P

Guest foxy11

they seem to all be selling their demo models, had a play with one in the Meadowhall (Sheffield) store today. He had no idea about the phone and said there were no prices available till weds when the phones came in. Preferred to tell me how good his nokia was and keep repeating himself about how bad he thought the e200 was (clever idea as its still for sale on their shelves :roll:. Seems as good as i'd imagined, cant wait for my pre-order to arrive :D.

Any of you other Sheffielders who want one quick... It might be worth trying to get them to sell you the 1 they have looking at what other people have told me :P I'd prefer a shiney new sealed retail one tho.

Guest AzianWonders

i was in the Newcastle store on Sunday, all 3 of them ... and they all had the demo phone it but wouldnt sell me it = ( those of you who managed to get their only 1 in stock are lucky...I just ordered mine from a website, which i thought the tariff was cheap...

Guest Dectomax

Hello,

I've had an E200 since last november on contract. I'd love the new c500. Is it true it will cost me £100 to get it ? My contract is talk 120 with a GPRS package - £4.00. What number do I ring to upgrade and what do I say? Also is it possible to pre-order it as it isn't due till tomorrow is it? As you may have guessed I've never upgraded before. Dunno what to do. :?

Many Thanks.

wait til november & you'll get it free, especially if you phone up & threaten to leave orange (which you obviously can't do yet!). otherwise, you'll probably have to pay quite a bit for it...

orange customer services - 0800 079 2288

Guest Dectomax

Yeah I could do that but I'm too excited about getting the C500. :) I'd heard that if your contract is £25.00 + you could buy out for £100 ? My contract is Any Network Anytime 120 (not talk 120) as posted earlier :oops: Didn't know whether it was best to go into an orange shop, or ring orange to sort it out.

Cheers.

from one of the other posts on here it seems you may be able to get it free after all...either way, you'll need to commit to extending your contract by 12mths. good luck!

Guest st3ph3n

pug206 - Could you try using some punctuation or even the enter key so people could make some sense of your posts?

Anyway, going to try and pop into Edinburgh on Thursday and get one. Anyone know if the shop has any yet?

Guest pug206

ive had my c500 a day now the camera onit is quite poor in the dark and not so dark but cracking in the light as its my first smart phone its really weird to get use to like the weird roller joy pad im trying to install my cd roms and usb cable now but haveing probs sorting them out went to my local computer fair tonite 4 a small sd card nobodys doing them yet

Guest SeaneyC
pug206 - Could you try using some punctuation or even the enter key so people could make some sense of your posts?

Anyway, going to try and pop into Edinburgh on Thursday and get one. Anyone know if the shop has any yet?

Ocean terminal had some, and sold them all! I'm waiting to know if they got any more today, haven't checked princes street or the other shop yet.

Guest duncanbaker

I've had my C500 for a few days now - its a demo model as I got it on Saturday, hopefully that means its not dodgy anyway!

First problem is that I can not get to download emails from my Orange account. I used to have an SPV E100 and I've done exactly the same as before of entering all the account details. Now when I hit send/receive all I get is connecting...... Nothing then happens. I can't work it out as I can connect to WAP sites no probs - has it anything to do with data connections?

Secondly I don't get voice mail symbols on the display flashing up.

Are these network problems or that Orange haven't set my phone up correctly?

Hope someone can help?

Guest Paul [MVP]

Hey Duncan, that's very strange...

You should get an error if your Orange mail is not configured correctly (which apparently you are not), and my voicemail symbol is fine.

Can you connect to normal internet sites (e.g. http://news.bbc.co.uk/text_only.stm) OK? Have you changed any GPRS settings at all?

Can you receive SMS OK? (voicemail icon on/off notifications are sent via SMS).

P

PS FWIW, the demo models ARE full production units and do not differ at all other than the fact staff shouldn't have sold them ;-)

Guest dreamweavel

I'm 8 months into my contract and the guy in Stafford Orange shop says i can upgrade for free mid contract as long as I'm on a tariff that costs £25+ per month. I really pressed him on this and he was adamant :shock: Is this true?

oops - just found prices thread - so it IS true then!

Guest mcfc2134

Not too sure on that.

I upgraded from a Moto V500 to a Nokia 6230 (yeah I know it aint a SPV!!), I was 10 months into my contract and they charged me £117 for it as I was still within the 12 month contract.

Give it a go though and let me know how you get on!

Guest falong

This (C500)looks like the phone for me.

Anyone have any clue when this will be available in Thailand?

Sold my XDA 2 as it was just to big and unreliable.

Guest Dectomax
Not too sure on that.

I upgraded from a Moto V500 to a Nokia 6230 (yeah I know it aint a SPV!!), I was 10 months into my contract and they charged me £117 for it as I was still within the 12 month contract.

Give it a go though and let me know how you get on!

Same here. I've got an E200 tho. Rang OCS last night and they said £125. My contracts up in November. He also put me on auto alert by text for when they get some stock of the C500. Quite helpful really.

Guest Blakey

I phoned 150 yesterday. I upgraded to a E200 in May and was on the £15 monthly tarrif. They quoted me £200 to get out of my contract! I've upgraded the monthly tarrif to £25 and he said to phone back when my next bill goes through as it'll recalculate the upgrade fee.

I'm quite tempted to just pay the 8 months off my current tarrif at £15 a month. That only works out at £120. How can they justify £200? Okay, so I'd need to get a new number but for the sake of £80 it seems worth getting a new number!

Makes no sense to me...

Blakey

I'm all itchy, do I wait for the MPX220 or jump onto this, game bug and all. Its getting to the point where I really need a mobile.

Actually, i feel as if i've not had my morning cup of coffee after reading this, now, do i wait for the mpx220 also, or do i phone orange and do the deed for the c500?!

Hmmm....

Edit: Aaarggghhh, £75 upgrade fee, i swithered and swithered, and i'm getting it tomorrow... Remember, the bonus ordering direct from Orange is that you get 7 days to change your mind (due to the mail order consumer laws!)

8)

Guest DIGWIE

Looks like a great phone - just what we've been asking for. But bummer about the concealed SD card in the back - I use my SD card to keep "un active synced" files with me so that I can put the card in a customers PC via a USB adapter with out the need to load active sync. Not only will I have to get a new 512Mb mini SD card but also an adapter and keep having to take the back off the phone to get at it. Does anyone know of a way to get files off the phone without having active synce on the PC?

Having scanned through all the posts here I can't appear to find anything about the email application.

Has the bug that was apparent on the E200, whereby wrong messages were downloaded or deleted with wrong headers etc been fixed?

Also has anybody suffered from "sticky" keys yet where when you press a button it keeps repeating forever!

Ta,

Nick.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.