C500 with Mapopolis

Guest rikwebb

Guest stu.mcandrew

Yeah, I have been itching to get SatNav on my mobile, but have held off until the C500 came out.

I could do with a simpletons guide to which BT GPS receiver will work also. Any help is most appreciated.

Guest doyle_am

I can confirm that Mapopolis DOES work on the C500.

You just need to enable the BT Serial Ports on the C500 through Start > Configurations > BT SerialPortSetup, enable both inbound and outbound (I use COM6 & COM7) and then pair the devices. Then load up Mapopolis and in the GPS settings change the COM port to that of your Outbound COM Port (in my case COM7) and then you should be away.

I'm using the TomTom BT GPS device if anyone wants to know but I'm sure any BT GPS unit will work.

- Andy

Guest rikwebb

Well blow me..........

Just beat me to it.

I can ALSO confirm that it works, and does seem to be a little faster / smoother.

This will be hard to believe, but the voice sounds better too.

Now for that 256 mem card, hurry up Jetmedia !!

Rik

Guest stu.mcandrew

Thanks guys, appreciated.

I am not so sure what 'com ports' are all about, but I am sure it become clear when I start having a play about.

Also, does the C500 need to be application unlocked to run the mapopolis software (their web site says so)? I unlocked my old E100, but I dont know if the C500 can be easily app unlocked yet. Any ideas?

Also, is there any specific model of Tom Tom BT GPS device (or any other) that you would recommend?

Thanks for the confirmaton guys! Is there any software out there other than mapopolis that will work? And anyone know when tomtom for the smartphone will be released? Thanks. Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest blueflash

just got my c500 working with tomtom bt. tis ideed excellent and surprisingly easy to read directions.

i like to be a safe driver any speed cam maps out there for smartphones

Guest chucky.egg

Ah, cool

I'm having "problems" with Mapopolis though.

When the GPS is on it slows down to a real crawl, and sometimes locks up altogether. Without GPS it's generally VERY good (except finding some addresses in the middle of towns) so I'm assuming that the GPS is bombarding it with data - I've seen the transfers, and whilst they are very short they are almost constant.

I'm going to try re-installing to the phone (rather than the Storage Card) and see if that makes any difference.

Anyone else getting this?

since reading this, i've been having a squizz at the bt gps options out there, and i'm considering either the parrot 3300 at 250 quid (in-car voice dialling / obex contact sync / multi user / gps) or my supplier can do a navman 4100 without software for 134 quid exc.vat

hmm...

anyone used any of these? i like mapopolis, but the pricing seems to be a bit high - maybe considering ms's pocket streets for smartphone, seems a steal at $25

edit: but pocket streets doesn't have gps support!!

has anyone got tomtom working with there C500 I keep getting device not found!!

i've not tried anything yet, but from what i've been reading you have to setup com ports first (configurations -> bt serialportsetup)

Guest rikwebb

i have used the Emtec bt gps, works fine. I an currently using the Parrot 3300. The Parrot works well, but you sometimes get problems when making two connections from c500.

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest chucky.egg

Have reinstalled Mapopolis to the Phone, and it seems better, although it still gets *very* slow sometimes when finding addresses from Contacts (a few times it has effectively frozen - you can still press the soft buttons, but the screen doesn't update properly)

Anyway, tried the GPS (EMTAC BT device) out on the way to work today and it was good, now just need to sort the maps out.

I've been told that you can order Platinum+GPS maps of the whole of the UK for $45, but that they are discontinuing Platinum maps in favour of the Navigator maps. They will still sell you one, but they won't promise any updates. They do offer a 30-day upgrade service - so if you buy the "wrong" maps (sound familiar msm*biles?) you can pay the difference and get the "better" maps if you do it within 30 days.

well, after my smartass'd reply above about the tomtom3 and c500 i find that i'm having loads of trouble getting it to work with mapopolis...

i've enabled the comports: inbound: com6, outbound: com7 - but whenever i set mapopolis to use com7 it says "gps com port not found"

aarghh... works straight away with my mates xda2

Edit:

Scrap that, i removed all my bluetooth pairs, disabled bluetooth, restarted phone, setup the com ports - when i ticked the box for outgoing it asked me to pair, so i did and hey presto - working gps!! this is the biz...

Hello all :P

I am running my c500 with mapopolis and my bluetooth gps syson receiver.

After reading the forum I too had the com 6 and 7 problem.

So why is it that I run several ppc 2003 ed and several gps programs and I have never had a problem pairing the ppcs like this phone?

But....

That is not a problem anymore.

The new problem is that the program starts, great!

My current posistion is shown on the screen... THEN...

The phone decides I do not want to use the program and defaults back to the home screen

As I only bought the phone yesterday thanks to reading this great site and everybodys praise on this smartphone I too thought I should jump on the band wagon!!!

The only real reason for buying this phone is to try and get speed camera detecion working on it instead of carrying two pdas two bluetooth receivers and my mobile phone!!

Phew!

first post and all that!

Many thanks to all

:) :roll:

I've got a funny feeling that it's maybe something to do with leaving com ports connected (so if you run mapopolis, attempt to connect, then exit it may leave the com port locked, so when you do connect bluetooth and the com ports it finds #7 locked, and bluetooth doesn't connect it.)

Saying that, wandered around edinburgh last night with mapopolis and had a right old time - the only problem i discovered was that the auto-reroute didn't appear to function at all, and that on a set route, the gps didn't appear to move the routing on - you still had to push up to move to the next direction, but it is still a beta i suppose!

If I download a map of the west midlands and merseyside, will I be able to navigate between the two areas? It's just that the maps are separate downloads, so I wondered if they 'join' when you install them on the phone.

Guest chucky.egg

Mapo will "join" maps to plan routes, but you have to load the maps first.

That's OK for journeys between 2 or 3 Counties (in the UK), but planning a trip from Kent to Liverpool goes through about 12 Counties which means you have to load 12 maps and more importantly you have to know the Counties you will be travelling through!

I had to find a map of the UK to work out the Counties I would go through, which kind of defeated the purpose!

Once you've told it what maps to load, and planned the route, it will automatically re-load the maps to show the route if you unload some maps.

Using the UK Major Roads maps (one single map, or 4 quadrants) is OK, but it doesn't include minor roads (as you probably guessed!), so you can't do door-to-door navigation