May have got a faulty C500

Guest zen123

Guest zen123

First of all let me say a big HI to all here. I'm new to this forum & SPV in general. Also its the first time I have ever joined the Orange network. I got a C500 today & all seems well except that I think there's a problem with the keypad backlight.

I realise that it has a light sensor & when enabled it comes on when the room is very dark. However when I disable the sensor the keypad backlight does not come on at all. Does that mean it is faulty or am I doing something wrong.

I prefer to have the backlight on all the time. Can anyone enlighten me before I trot down to the Orange shop tomorrow.

Guest d3f3nd3r

Mine does exactly the same. I think the fact that when you (and me) switch the sensor on and it then works when the room is dark means that it's working. I would rather say it's a software bug that the keypad backlight doesn't come on while the light sensor is disabled. Could be wrong though.

Guest zen123

Anyways I'm just going to the Orange shop now to see whats up. I remember that the demo I was playing with had the backlight come on everytime I pushed the buttons & the shop was very bright.

Guest zen123

Just got back from my friendly Orange shop...here's the deal. They had 2 in stock took them out to try & they are all the same. You have to rely on the light sensor to determine if the keypad lights up. When you switch off the function the backlight don't work at all.

Whether its a bug or just a function of the phone they don't know yet. Even a call to their technical dept didn't help bcoz the guy on the phone didn't have a clue anyway.

Hi, my fisrt time on any type of forum but so far it looks very interesting. I received my SPV c500 on Tuesday and I have to say so far I'm mega impressed. However there is a function I can find no information about which is 'voice tags' of the quick dial menu and in Contacts. Does anybody know what this is for? Your answer would be most appreciated.

Guest awarner [MVP]

Are you sure it's a bug and that this is not how the sensor onoff

should work?

Otherwise there could be an entry in the registry for this.

Guest Dr Who

Yurip, it is for voice activated dialling. You create a tag which is then used to dial that contact when voice dialling is activated, i.e. set it up and say "Yurip", connect to your contact and then when you activate voice dialling (press and hold the volume down button I believe) say "Yurip" and hey presto, it dials your number.

Guest zen123
Are you sure it's a bug and that this is not how the sensor onoff

should work?

Otherwise there could be an entry in the registry for this.

Hope it is as you say & not a bug bcoz I prefer the keypad backlight to be on evrytime the key is pressed.

Thing is, I read Pauls review & he says that the light sensor can be switched off so enabling the keypad to illuminate whenever a ket is pressed. So that's why I think I may have a faulty phone.

Guest misterfood

Does anyone know if it is possible to initiate voice activated dialling using the handsfree headset that comes with the phone?

I know you can press and hold the "DOWN" volume button and then speak away, but doing it without the handset "in hand", so to speak, would be far better.

If not, are there any Bluetooth headsets that offer this type of genuine hands free dialing?

Yurip, it is for voice activated dialling. You create a tag which is then used to dial that contact when voice dialling is activated, i.e. set it up and say "Yurip", connect to your contact and then when you activate voice dialling (press and hold the volume down button I believe) say "Yurip" and hey presto, it dials your number.

Thanks for the info, I've set up a few keys so I'll let you know how I get on. Yurip