Performance diff Sp2002 vs. Sp2003 OR WinInet vs. Sockets?

Guest DeSica

Guest DeSica

I am writing an application that uses the Socket API to send and receive data over Internet. When testing the application on both a Smartphone 2002 and a Smartphone 2003 (Motorola Mpx-200, Qtek 8080) I notice that when downloading a file the Sp2002 receives data at only half the speed of the Sp2003.

At first, I thought it was OS-related, but then I tried downloading a 100 kB

file with Pocket IE - this resulted in the same download speed on both

devices!

So, on Sp2002, is there any known performance differences when comparing the Socket API and WinInet API?

If not, any other ideas on what might be the difference? I use the exact

same code on both platforms and I've spent some time investigating what makes the Sp2002 slower, but with no result so far. I should mention that the speed difference occurs on both GPRS and when connecting using the cradle and active sync. Also, it doesn't matter if I write the data to disk or not - so it has nothing to do with if I write the data to flash or not.

If you can't think of an answer, maybe you know of a free application or trial version that uses sockets to stream data over GPRS? (works on Sp2002 and that doesn't uses Pocket IE) It would be great to compare with another application where I for example can download a file.

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Daniel