Help Beta test Visual Studio 2005!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul [MVP]

Are you interested in Mobile Device development? Maybe you've wanted to give it a try, but have not got round to it? Seen the new Camera API and fancied having a play?

Well now might be the time to take the plunge!

Visual Studio 2005 is coming - with a much improved IDE, edit and continue back for Visual Basic (hurrah) and at last native ARM emulators for Smartphone and Pocket PC, VS 2005 (previously codenamed Whidbey) is going to make a huge difference to mobile device developers the world over!

As part of the Visual Studio 2005 Beta program, anybody (yes even you!) can order a copy of the Beta DVD for a paltry £3. Yes, three pounds!

If you would like to be involved, simply visit this page, enter your details, and wait patiently by the letterbox for the postman.

:)

P

PS Don't forget we have a .NET developer area here at MoDaCo, and I will be stopping by to make sure that new developers are made to feel welcome, and to help cultivate a great MoDaCo Developer community!

PPS If you are an MSDN Subscriber, you can already download the VS 2005 Beta free of charge.

right_bnr_vs2005.jpg

Guest The PocketTV Team

Yes, but that's only a beta. I know, I used it.

I doubt very much that the final Visual Studio 2005 (which will be required to develop for Magneto) will be that cheap.

Native emulators are nice, but I don't think they'll make the massive difference that you suggest.

And even if you develop games and use ASM, then you'll have a problem because the ARM emulators won't emulate some instruction sets available on some Xscale processors (e.g. WMMX). The emulator will work only with vanilla-ARM instruction set.

Naturally, Visual Studio 2005 is much better than the eVC++ 3.0 and 4.0 tools, but unless you want to develop in C#, VB, or for Magneto, you're better off with the old tools, imho.

Guest The PocketTV Team
I think we're fully aware that its a beta tbh...

I was...

If you develop in C/C++, you'll find that some really useful features of eVC, like the automatic "External Dependecies" folder, are gone :)

Of course you'll get many other bells and whistles.

Also, project files are not compatible, you'll have to rebuild all your projects from scratch. and some automatic macros, like WIN32_PLATFORM_WFSP, are not defined automatically, you must include at the beginning of all your files. i think you'll have only support for WM2003 (and Magneto) platforms.

Guest Paul [MVP]
Yes, but that's only a beta.  I know, I used it.

I doubt very much that the final Visual Studio 2005 (which will be required to develop for Magneto) will be that cheap.

Native emulators are nice, but I don't think they'll make the massive difference that you suggest.

And even if you develop games and use ASM, then you'll have a problem because the ARM emulators won't emulate some instruction sets available on some Xscale processors (e.g. WMMX).  The emulator will work only with vanilla-ARM instruction set.

Naturally, Visual Studio 2005 is much better than the eVC++ 3.0 and 4.0 tools, but unless you want to develop in C#, VB, or for Magneto, you're better off with the old tools, imho.

Er yes, it's a beta, with 'Beta' mentioned once in the title and three times in the text, I think it's pretty clear. I also don't think anybody would expect to buy the full version of VS on DVD for 3 quid.

Of course the final release won't be £3.

A native emulator makes a massive different to development on VS.net 2003, in that forms you design now look like they do on the final device, you can copy external ARM apps into the emulator and more.

I don't think VS 2005 is really aimed at people developing using ASM.

Granted, C# and VB developers will benefit most from 2005, but I don't agree that anyone else would be better off with the old tools.

P

Guest gcparris

Some of us have had VS2005 for 6 months or so now :) Having said that there is going to be a whole host of new apps coming out for the C500. Some even from myself :P

Gareth

Guest winterdude

is there any helper asembalys in 2005 for accsess to the outlook object model for contacts and stuff ?

was monkeying around a couple of days ago and every thing sugested buy stuff of write a native unmanaged interface to POOM to get contacts and stuff, bit tedious.

Guest Paul [MVP]

On Smartphone, VS 2005 targets the existing version of the .net CF, so there are no language changes (.net CF 2 is supported on Pocket PC, so that's different).

So, in short, we'll have to wait until the next Smartphone OS release before we see .net CF 2 on Smartphone, and things like a managed POOM library.

However, fellow MVP Peter Foot has a managed POOM library for .net CF at http://www.InTheHand.com - check it out...

P

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.