Orange have NOT dumped the MPx220...

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul [MVP]

Contrary to reports on one of the more sensationalist Smartphone news sites after our QA yesterday, we can confirm that Orange have NOT dumped the MPx220!

The site in question misinterpreted the following quote from our QA:

[19:17] jcjdoss's question was: What is the official word on the MPX220, Is it going to be all that it is cracked up to be

[19:17] the Mpx220 is a very intresting product but at the moment I can't say if Orange will take it

Clearly this is Orange 'not commenting' on a product that has not been officially announced, and to interpret this as 'dumping Motorola' is ludicrous.

I'm pretty sure those in that chat with me will agree... :)

P

Guest Croccy22

Totally agree with you paul, several people joined the chat room after the Q&A quoting that a website had said that the mpx220 was dumped and i had to visit the site to see what was said.

At no point did the orange representatives say anything along these lines!

:roll:

Maybe not being English caused him to misinterpret the sentence? he he

Matt

Croccy22

PS The modaco alerts work great :)

Guest Richie M

Hehehe as i don't usually bother with sensationalist journalism websites i hadn't read the story in question, until now.

I think he must of been in/read a different chat to the rest of us :roll:

Clearly this is Orange 'not commenting' on a product that has not been officially announced, and to interpret this as 'dumping Motorola' is ludicrous.

Too right :)

Guest beersoft

you haven't read it through the correct parser

real text - the Mpx220 is a very intresting product but at the moment I can't say if Orange will take it

fake text - Orange wont have the Mpx220 as MrO wouldnt give a release date and they have only stock phones made by HTC/mitac/nokia/se/meat pies and as moto wouldnt give me a free phone ill say its been canned like the other one, and the MPx is also on its way out, bitter? me? never?

later

Owen

Guest www.msmobiles.com
the Mpx220 is a very intresting product but at the moment I can't say if Orange will take it

so it is not certain that Orange will take MPx220 ! If it is not certain then it is possible that Orange has dumped MPx220.

Selling MPx220 would hurt sales of C500 too much so it is quite likely that MPx220 in fact has been - AS OF NOW - dumped by Orange.

Anyway: it's indication that MPx220 will be available at Orange later than expected, later than in other places.

Guest Paul [MVP]

That post doesn't really make sense, your headline on MSMobiles is 'Orange dumps Motorola MPx220 smartphone!', however in the first line above you write that this is not certain.

In the next line you make some sort of judgement that Orange would not take the MPx220 if it would hurt sales of C500, and imply it has as of now been dumped... an illogical statement.

Then, in the final line you say that it indicates it WILL be available on Orange, later than expected.

Heck, you've confused me!

Unfortunately, your news post is quite simply misleading, and is terrible attention seeking scandalous journalism.

P

Guest flyswat

The article may be misleading but he may have a point.

Why would orange release the motorola phone in direct competition against the C500, when no doubt Orange have bigger stakes (and profit potential) in the C500; it would not make business sense to do so? If there were more smartphone based phones in Orange's range then it would make no difference but as there is not, odds on Orange will not release the Motorola phone until some time after the C500s release. This would probably also be preferential to the makers of the phone, especially as there are further phones to be released by them some time in the future. I'm not holding my breathe for the phone in the short term.

But hey, what I just said is opinion...

:twisted: :twisted:

Guest midnight

the MPx220 isnt due for a while yet, so its much to early to say, the MPx220 also has a 1.2mp camera and is a clamshell, O sold the E200 and MPx200 at the same time, so why not the C500 and MPx220????

If O make a profit on both (and afterall, they want people to sign contracts etc.), then why wouldnt they have phones that compete with each other? They sell Nokia and SE smart phones aswell dont they? and they are in direct competition with the C500 aswell.

Guest flyswat

Yes, but as the C500 is officially an Orange branded phone, then Orange will be getting a better deal on the phone for themselves. As you point out the Motorola phone has more features and so customers may well prefer the Motorola, meaning Orange probably do not get such a good deal. Orange will not want this, they would not have entered into Orange branding otherwise.

OK, Orange sold the E200 and MPx200 at the same time, but I bet they will not do the same at least initially this time, especially as the number of Microsoft based smartphones are limited; they may as well direct their own customers to their own phones.

Yes, there are other smartphone based phones, but then there is always competition; if Orange can establish and excel on their own brand, then the competition will not be an issue. There will always customers who want a Nokia or an Ericsson (or whatever), but then, they run on different platforms, not the Windows smartphone that Orange are pushing.

But then, who know's!!! Personally I am waiting for the MPx.

:twisted: :twisted:

Tru but as stated Orange have a larger stake in the C500, " A signature phone" which the MPx220 is not. people signing contracts is irrelevent, it makes more sense to release one then the other, a staggerd release of products if you like, to keep the interest.

Guest kevlar

Orange probably won't sell the mpx220 as the joypad isn't bad enough and it may actually be possible to play games on it properly.

kevlar

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest awarner [MVP]

:) nice one kevlar :P

I'm just going to wait and see what happens we have seen this

crap too many times before to be able to decide what is or is not

going to happen.

I don't care if Orange choose to do the MPx220 or not. I'll move from Orange quite happily to anyone else doing the MPx220 (If they fix the cam that is).

Guest Croccy22

URGENT GROUND BREAKING NEWS

THE END OF THE WORLD IS TOMORROW!!!!

I can confirm that since I haven't decided what I am going to be doing tomorrow yet, tomorrow has officially been dumped!!! and therefore the world will spontaneously combust at 12:00 tonight.

you heard it here first folks!

Matt Croccy22 :)

Guest midnight

But, my point is, if O dont take up the MPx220, then some other UK carrier may do, what would O rather do, sell both the C500 AND the MPx220, or let the competition sell the MPx220 instead? (which i think would be highly likely if O dont carry the MPx220)

All this is irrelevant, i'd say i'm almost positive O will carry the MPx220, and in my opinion, if they dont, thats the end of Moto's run with the MS Smartphone i'd say.

ps.. oh, and another thing, how can O make more money on a phone they are giving away free? Like I said, they do care about contracts, as that is the money earner, not the phones themselves.

Guest jcjdoss

I know it does no good to speculate but, ...

1. On one hand it makes sense that Orange would carry the mpx220, seeing as the c500 is a bar phone and mpx220 is flip. I'm surprised this point hasn't come up.

2.On the other hand Mr.O Might very well just be trying to satisfy the customer base by not commenting. Even if they don't plan to carry the phone it would not be in their best interest to express such a thing while anticipation and expectations are high on this phone. They will probably make an official statement after the first release of the mpx220 so both expectations and anticipation will have a chance to die down.

Guest Richie M
URGENT GROUND BREAKING NEWS

THE END OF THE WORLD IS TOMORROW!!!!

I can confirm that since I haven't decided what I am going to be doing tomorrow yet, tomorrow has officially been dumped!!! and therefore the world will spontaneously combust at 12:00 tonight.

you heard it here first folks!

Matt Croccy22  :D

LMAO, i weren't looking forward to tomorrow anyway, so i wont bother setting my alarm in the morning now, cheers for the heads up Croccy :)

PS you ever thought of running a "news" website? :P

Guest beersoft

richie,

that no work to well, croccys engrish skills be good for a news website with is grammer and spellings of good words.

but i can't talk, with my leet news posts :)

later

Owen

that was hard to type, my brain just didn't like typing that

Guest Croccy22

I'm actually quite worried abou the world ending tomorrow now just in case you all blame me.

I might bury myself in the back garden tonight just in case.

Matt

Guest AvWijk

Can anyone confirm that the black MPx220 will be less available than the silver edition? I've heard this from somebody but I cant find the news item anyware.

I Want that black MPx220! :oops: Don't care if Orange it will deliver or not, Orange has a very bad reception here.

I don't understand why Orange cannot or do not like to talk about future products. If Orange WERE to announce that they would be carrying the MPx220 I'd probably not be looking at any of the other retailers. It would secure my custom come upgrade time and probably others.

Guest Gorskar

Well I'm not getting the c500 - for a gamer its fatally flawed. (Although a great phone in every other respect)

I want a SP2003 phone suitable for games. So far there arent really any (Barring the Mitac mabye, which isnt available here) The MPX220 might be the phone I'm after so if Orange DONT offer it (or the Sagem), and another network does offer it, then it'll be goodbye Orange!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.