[c500] POP3 Emails - can receive, but not send

Guest forster

Guest forster

OK - I have my own webhosting and can send POP3 emails via Outlook fine via PC. Ive entered the same settings on my c500 and can receive incoming mail fine, however, there are problems when I try and send anything from my phone to any email address.

Ive switched between my two pop3 accounts, changed the security (asking for ssl / secure connections) and no joy.

Error appears to be that the c500 documents any email address as 'invalid' and moves the mail to the drafts folder.

Network to connect to when sending email is 'the internet'.

Anybody got this working yet?

edit - Just for fun I ran through the other networks (Work / MMS / WAP etc) and nothing. All the mail servers are up, so Im at a loss.

I leave it to your expertise :)

Guest JampoTT

Yeah, tis true...

You are connecting to Orange's GPRS network, NOT to your normal ISP. As you aren't connected to your ISP, you can't send using their SMTP server (unless it allows relaying, but most don't)

Therefore your outgoing mailserver MUST be smtp.orange.net

Guest RazorD

I had this same problem why trying to use my own domain's mail server, i just got a message about the domain being invalid.

Ill try with orange's smtp server when im next out :)

--Liam Gladdy

Guest forster

Nope - it still isnt working, is any username / password required? The manual looks like it assumes you already know what information to enter, a bit pointless really.

Edit - just went in through Orange -> Help -> email and set up the same details, still nothing, will get in touch with Orange via their helpdesk and see if this function is 'checked' on my account.

Thanks all.

Edit2 - just stumped the Orange tech team too lol - they cant help :)

I've just spent 5 weeks going round in circles with 156 and TAS as i had the same problem not being able to send though the smtp.orange.net server after receiving the first of 3 replacment e200's in that time. The original set was fine from may apart it had the sticking back key syndrome. Anyway after a lot of suggestions from ts to keep checking my settings again & again i lost my patience with them and asked for a DMR handset, still no joy. I can put my sim into another e-mail phone and enter my settings and it works (send's & receives) but it didn't want to work on my e200's. If i docked it and did a passthrough conn and set my smtp server for my home isp's it sent OK. Anyway i rang 156 yesterday and got though to a guy (nameless for now) that seemed to know what he was talking about. He said that there has been and still is with a issue with sending but hardly no one knows in ts on how to sort it out and said that i would be faffing around for another month with them. He said i needed to request to change my GPRS access point and it would change to "internetvpn" rather that "orangeinternet". Also he said that the email client on the phone didn't like numbers in the login password on your pop3 account settings. So anyway after a couple if sim updates a manual change to "internetvpn" on GPRS connection settings it finally worked and after a month i was happy. Anyway today i have upgraded to the c500 and it works with the original "orangeinternet" accesspoint.

So there you go :) :P

Guest inspectorgadjet

I have just tested my own personal email account on the phone and have managed to send emails without any hassles. I am NOT using smtp.orange.net, I am using my own smtp server.

One difference there may be between our configurations is that my smtp server requires me to login using the same credentials as my pop server in order to send messages. Perhaps you have a similar setup or have an option to require login.

PM me if you would like further help. :)

Guest McHale

I send and receive using my own pop3 settings by using CSD and my ISP's dial-up settings. Works great. Just an option for those who are bent on using their own servers...

-Mc

p.s. I'm in the US on Cingular

Guest forster

Well, it definately appears to be a software bug somewhere.

Apparently a friend of mine had a similar problem, he received different results from different incoming settings, whilst using the same outgoing server.

Using a Yahoo inc and his phone providers outgoing, he could send and receive, but on other incoming servers the results were mixed.

Anyhoo - got me to thinking.

Did a google for some free pop3 providers, stumbled across http://www.nerdshack.com and signed up. Put their details as incoming AND outgoing servers on my c500 and now I can send and receive as I should. No need for smtp.orange.net at all.

Whatever the bug is about 'not liking' usernames / passwords / domains or whatever really needs sorting out. As I said above, even the Orange tech's dont know how to fix the problem :?

Anyway, guess that means I have to start re-routing my emails through this new address, a pain, but worth it for email on the move.

Thanks for all your help guys, hopefully this post will help someone in the future.

One last remark, why is this post itallicised?

Forster.

• 3 weeks later...

I might have a solution to the SMTP.ORANGE.NET problem (where you can't send out emails). Well, it works for me, anyway. :)

For your email account, go into Account Setup and 'Next' through until you get to the page where you select the outgoing server.

Select "Outgoing Server Settings" and check the box next to "Use different password for outgoing server". Don't enter anything else, just select Done and then finish the Setup steps.

Now try sending and receiving.

This works because the c500 assumes you're using the same username and password for SMTP as you are for POP3. You have to tell it you're not. :lol: