spvD2X[v0.2a]

Guest roozbeh

Guest roozbeh

well i've been in a journey...and now i am back almost!

i thought nobody would like this game(as i dont myself)so i didnt put too much time on it

but i will soon release a patch that makes it work with gdi

the reson not to make it was me being lazy on that....

soon

i myself encountered the crash on game...but i thought it might be becouse of memory......

i'll try to locate the problem

Guest schriss

It also crashed once on my Mio8390 and before I run it I had almost 20MB free. I noticed it crashed when I was shooting like crazy, so maybe memory didn't have anything to do with it :)

I also tried to run it on my Pocket PC and it runs but as in case of Duke Nukem 3D, I see just garbage pixels on the whole width of the screen.

With DN3D I can fix that by setting screen width to 220 and it works great but can't map keys, but with spvD2X I can't do that because there is no config file (I think).

Guest ultimasnake

I think there are also special ppc ports of duke3d :)....

As for descent 2, It crashed on my e200 as soon as i killed an enemy (which should display an crappy explosion :P)...

But it runs rather ok for an alpha.. it really does :D...

I am also trying to get in touch with ID software about opensourcing commander keen.. now that would be swell :D

Guest schriss

I'm not aware of any PPC port of Duke, there was a project but it's dead I think.

Anyway, the only problems I have on Pocket PC with Roozbeh's Duke is:

1. draws only upper half of the screen no matter what height I set (I think Rozzbeh is aware of this).

2. Can't map keys.

Performance of Duke Nukem 3D on Pocket PC is EXCELLENT: 77fps (I posted a screenshot in Duke related thread) :-)

Guest Jamma14

Hi how exactly would i get my shortcut to work? i tried 33#"Storage CardProgram FilesspvD2XspvD2X.exe" -nosound is it something to do with the no. at the beginning i dont no wot its for? how would i gettit wurkin?

• 8 months later...
Guest Wexx

A week ago I started to play again the old good Descent 2 and today I suddenly found this thread. Many thanks to Roozbeh.

Here are some my advices:

@All

If you want to install Descent I/II on Windows XP, choose "Compatibility mode" in settings (right click on .exe file) and select Windows 95. It works. You'll also need 1.2 patch for it and for better performance I reccomend you to use D2X OpenGL accelerated version (which Roozbeh apparently used as starting point for his port). Also for Descent I you can use D1X. You can find everything here.

@Roozbeh

Do you played Descent I? I think it was alot better than Descent II. By me, it had the best musical soundtrack ever a computer game had. Try it, you won't regret that time (it was better not by features but by playability and by ideas).

The game engine is the same for both Descent I and II. It is said that Descent I mission works in Descent II but has corrupt textures, it would be the same for D2X version.

@All

Oh I almost forgot: Try running Descent II on MPx200 with newer Smartphone 2002 ROM. It uses less memory than newer OSes and it is more optimized than those older ROMs. Finally you can get slightly more than 20MB free of RAM on this Phone.

Edited by Wexx

Guest simon211175

I was thinking only a few days ago (while playing SPVDuke) that I'd love to see Descent ported - and now I see this thread while browsing ;)

I'm also among the Descent 1 being better than 2 group, but hey - Descent is Descent whichever version. I'm going to try this out later. Oh yes.

{EDIT} or at least I would have tried it out except my work server has blocked my access to the download of the PC version :evil:

Edited by simon211175

• 1 month later...