Jabra BT250 Bluetooth Headset and C500

Guest misterfood

Guest misterfood

Hi all,

Just got my nice new C500 and bought a Jabra BT250 Bluetooth headset.

I didn't have any problems pairing the two units together but am having a few problems with it - can anyone shed any light?

1) The headset icon appears in the status bar (next to the GPRS icon), but pressing on the "Connect" button on the headset to initiate a voice dial does not work all of the time - it is very erratic. Sometimes the voice dial prompt screen appears, other times it doesn't.

2) Over and the above point 1), it seems (to me) that a headset initiated voice dial cannot be started unless the phone is unlocked (i.e. keypad lock is off and password lock is off) and the screen is visible (i.e. the power management hasn't turned off the display). If I try and press the "Connect" button with either the screen off or the phone keypad locked, nothing happens!

Can anyone relate to this or offer any advice.

Thanks.

(Other than that the C500 is a way cool piece of kit - very fast!)

Guest Phil Lee

With my Plantronics M3000 pressing and holding the connect button always initiates voice dial except when the keypad lock is on. I have no problems with voice dial activating when the screen is blank. The keypad lock only seems to affect voice dialling. I can do a last number redial with it switched on.

I have similar problems. I have found that (if the phone is unlocked) if you press the connect button twice in reasonably fast succession you get a voice dial prompt. I asked Jabra about it via email and they weren't very helpful at all.

Guest jimbouk

I have two problems - 1) the voice prompt doesn't always work when you press button onse (although it seems to be getting better) and 2) if i switch on the headset, it then does activate a voice prompt - which yesterday led to a un-noticed ten minute call to my wife's mobile as her name was the first thing i said after plugging it in - lucky i didn't say anything unfortunate on her ansaphone!

Guest misterfood

I've now played with the Jabra BT250 a bit more and am having some better results as follows: -

1) I can initiate a voice dial every time from the headset if I press the connect button twice in quick succession.

2) When I first switch the headset on, it instantaneously initiates a voice dial, so be quick with the "hang up" button in case you speak a familiar name - (see post above - how unlucky is that! - what are the chances?)

3) The voice dial will NOT initiate at all if the phone keypad is locked, although using the procedure in step 1) above, the voice dial will still be initiated even if the screen is OFF.

Hope this helps - I'm very much happier with the headset now that I can use it fairly reliably.

I'm having the same problems as detailed above and was considering taking it back to the Orange shop.

Will try your suggestions though. Don't really want to take it back because I only paid £29.99 for it, and don't think I'll get a similar deal again on other models.

Thanks for the info.

• 1 month later...
Guest AlexMaher

Hi,

I'm having the same set of problems with my C500 BT250 combo

1. Voice dial activating after switching it on.

2. Intermittent response after pressing the voiced dial button.

3. When I do get the voice dial working it often connects the call and begins dialing without actually passing the dial tones to the headset leaving me unaware that the call has actually been placed until the person at the other end answers and begins talking.

I've tested the headset with nokia / Sony phones and it functions perfectly.

I worked around various bugs with my E100 (labour of love...) up until now I was completely satisfied with the C500, I feel its an excellent product in comparison so this is quite a frustrating situation.

I called orange to see if they were aware of any problems - 3 agent transfers later and I finally made it through to the technical help desk.

The guy at the other end said he was unaware of any issues between the c500 and the bt250 and that I should take it an Orange shop so they can test:

The BT250 with another c500

My C500 with another brand of headset

If the issues are confirmed by the orange shop staff they said they could put it forward for investigation as a possible bug to be fixed in a future firmware upgrade. If anything interesting happens I'll update the thread but for now it looks like I'm going to have to live with the work arounds mentioned previously or swap for another brand of headset.

Ah well......

Guest AlexMaher

Based on other peoples experiences I can only guess that it’s just some compatibility problem between the two products. Other C500 owners have no problems operating with different brands of Bluetooth headsets and I've tested my headset successfully with other brands of phones.

The guy from Orange basically said that not all BT phone / headset combos work together and that the problem isn't confined to the SPV C500. He gave a few examples of Nokia phones with the similar issues. This is my first venture into the Bluetooth headset arena so I can’t really offer any more advice. If it is true then anyone thinking of buying one should stick to the proven combo’s or check to see if any other MoDaCo users have had issues with their chosen headset.

Despite the initial annoyances I’m learning to live with it now….

There are two ways to pair the BT250 with a BT phone, and this is described in the manual, one is for headset profile, the other for handsfree, profile. The only problem is, that in handsfree profile, you may find battery life affected, as the two items will have a constant connection, I know this, as Nokia phones only use handsfree profile, and battery life is terrible. You might like to try this to see if it solves your problems. I have the BT250V which also has a vibrate feature, where the headset vibrates as well as rings when you receive a call. It too has the same voice dial issues, and is paired in headset mode. I have tried it with my V80 and V600, and my wifes V600 and works fine, it only has these issues with the C500, so must be a software issue with in this phone. Jabra tech help have never been very good, so do not expect much help from them.

Guest AndyGarbs

Hi All

Can you confirm that the BT250 with the iMate SP3 can use the handsfree mode, i have tried and tried and cannot get it to work. I have read both the BT250 instructions and SP3 instructions from front to back (english only) and the only way i can answer a call is by

1) Pressing the Green Pick up call button on the handset

2) Pressing the phone button on the headset

Please Please help

Guest AlexMaher

I've had the headset paired up in both Handsfree and Headset modes - unfortunately it has the same bugs. Reading through some other posts on Modaco it appears that some users are able to use BT200 headsets without any problems but others are affected....

When I spoke with orange they said they would test it in store (see details further up this thread) unfortunately I still haven't made it in although I dont expect to get much out of it when I do.

I've mailed Jabra asking them a few questions - as of yet I've not had a reply.

As for Andy's bugs in the last post I've not come across that one - could this be a different bug due to that fact that its running different firmware - not the current orange build?

Guest AlexMaher

I received a reply back from Jabra's tech support guys last week with some interesting results. The support guy basically said that the first bug (voice dial initiating when the headset is switched on) is actually down to the design of the headset - its something which they have obviously come across before as the guy was able to give a detailed answer as to why it does this.

He also said that the remaining two bugs (detailed further up this thread) are in the phone and went on to explain how they had seen the same problem in E200's and XDA II's. Both these bugs appear to have vanished after I applied the recent C500 update - no more double clicking / missed ringing in the ear piece! Finally it works!

So what you are saying is, that with the new update, most or all problems have been sorted out now. If this is so, roll on later this week when i finally get broadband, and can download the update.

So what you are saying is, that with the new update, most or all problems have been sorted out now.  If this is so, roll on later this week when i finally get broadband, and can download the update.

MY HEADSET (C500 BT250) DOES NOT WORK AT ALL AFTER THE UPGRADE. NO HELP FROM ORANGE AT ALL. I WOULD NOT BE SO KEEN TO UPGRADE THE SOFTWARE.

Guest AlexMaher

Yep the double click fix is no longer required to voice dial - the quality seems to be a little better too.

It did fail to pass the ringing sound to the ear piece for one of my calls - my brother said his nokia / bt200 combo sometimes does that so I'm not to bothered. It's generally better but still aint perfect.

Guest eepgmik

I second that. After the update (4.1.1.4) it does seem a tad more reliable (not tested it much so far). Certainly seems to keep the connection between headset and handset better. It also reconnected after the headset being off overnight (charging), which is a first.

Also, post-update, it seems that now if I press the green button to answer a call it will use the headset if it was connected. Before if I answered with the green button it would stay on handset and if I answered with headset it would use the headset.

Overall, the bluetooth implementation seems better than it was. It's now almost up to the level of my Nokia 6310i. :roll:

Martin

Still not sure about this upgrade, as others seem to be having lots of problems, with the update. Will have to wait a little longer, to see what the ovehaul impression is about the update.

Guest AlexMaher

At the end of the day its better to be safe than sorry - if you can't afford the downtime of getting it swapped with Orange its better to wait. It still ain't perfect - so its not like your missing out. Its just better than it was.......

My experiences for those that are interested:

Pairs fine as a hands-free headset, not sure what profile type that is. It means when the headset it on, the headset icon appears on the phone info bar at the top.

With BT on the phone on and it unlocked, switching on the headset doesn't cause it to attempt voicedial.

A single press on the headset causes phone to go to voicedial (which you hear in the headset), works, then the headset is promptly cutoff and the call continues on the phone only. Pressing headset again to try to restore audio terminates call.

A quick double press (two confirmation bleeps in your ear) usually works as you'd expect: bleep in ear, speak name, hear confirmation of name from phone (not headset) then ringing/call in your ear.

Occassionally the double press causes the phone to bleep for the voicetag and the phone's microphone detects the voicetag, then the call is handed back to the headset. In a car this is probably fine as both microphones should hear you speak the voicetag anyway, but it's odd and not easily repeatable.

As everyone else states, voicedialling doesn't work at all with the phone locked (this needs fixing bigtime).

Holding the headset button for a different tone initiates last number redial, infuriatingly, this also works when phone locked (so why not voicedialling)

Receiving calls is good, with headset on calls can be answered via the phone i.e. call to phone, press headset button to transfer to headset) or call to phone, press button on headset (straight to headset) and terminated with another press. All works with phone locked or unlocked.

Receiving with headset turned off also works well, turn on headset whilst phone ringing, wait for confirmation bleep in ear, then answer call as above.

The double click and locked phone problems are both annoyances but something I can live with. The bit I never quite understand is how this stuff gets through testing, it's just so basic to how a bluetooth headset functions.

Finally, I've found bluetooth on the phone to be the one area that causes complete freezes that can only be resolved by removing the battery. Sometimes it's accessing the bluetooth menus, othertimes it just seems to happen after lots of bluetooth stuff (I do use a bluetooth GPS with the phone as well). Anyone else finding the bluetooth part is the only thing to crash the handset? ^_^

Guest AlexMaher

Phone hasn't crashed whilst using bluetooth so far - seems pretty stable. I've got it working with my headset and a BT dongle for Activesync. I've got a BT GPS unit but I havent actually tried to pair it yet as I dont have any software to use with it.

With my SMT 5600, I get the same problem with intermittent voice dialing. usually I just keep pressing it until I hear the beep. Another error I get is pressing the headset button and having the phone itself beep.

Well guys, I apparently have the latest firmware in my phone and there is the same problem with the free bluetooth headset I got from Onstopphoneshop. I had the phone locked and I could not init any voice activated calls from the headset. Phone unlocked and after a couple of goes the phone will init a voice dialled call. Pain in the rear end this. Bugs, bugs, freezes and bugs. Not what I expected from the latest update 4.1.1.4 of the firmware.

BT headset is an Elite Xtreme ABH-204 headset.

I wonder if it is the same for an actual Orange BT headset.

And another pain, If I want to go to Speakerphone mode, it does not work. I either get headset or phone internal quiet speaker. I can turn off handsfree from the menu which then makes Speakerphone work but I should be able to go to speakerphone by keeping the green button down no matter what other way I have been or am about to listen to a call.