E200 MMS probs

Guest dazza12

Guest dazza12

Hi guys, I'm getting a very frustrating problem sending an MMS to a particular type of phone.

From my SPV, E200, no matter what resolution of picture I use, when it is viewed on a Samsung E700 it can't be seen properly. The recipient gets a block with green or blue lines, almost as if there's some corruption in the picture.

I can get pictures ok from the phone. I can send and receive from any other phone, and so can the other person. I've been on to Orange and my friend has been onto their network (Tmobile) and both are blaming each other.

Any ideas of what might cause this? I suspect it might be their phone as it's only got a display resolution of 128x120, but the SPV E200 can't go down this far.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Guest sbsdegb1

I have the same problem sending to a E700 on O2 network. Si I think it maybe a problem with the E700 and perhaps the resolution on the E200. I have even tried sending at the lowest resolution and in black and white but same problem.

O2 even sent out a replacement E700 to my friend but it did exactly the same.

Guest dazza12

Further to my original post, I've sent to a third party on the same network with a Nokia phone (can't remember which one). The recipient can read it fine, but when it's passed to the E700, it displays exactly the same.

This is with any quality setting and any resolution.

Any that this person sends me can be sent back to them and viewed fine.

The strange thing is that any of the default pictures included with the SPV E200 (ie the cake, flowers, heart etc) are received and displayed fine.

It would appear that both phones have a problem, the E700 doesn't like pictures in certain formats, and the SPV is possibly not adhering to the standards 100%. As the phone runs an M$ OS, this is possible.

As you can imagine, this is costing me a fortune in wasted MMS messages, so as you can imagine Orange CS aren't interested in solving it.

Guest zerosignull

mms pictures are just jpg. also the MMS part of the softwre is third party and nothing to do with MS. try upgrading the rom on ure e200.

Guest skaramanga

I have the very same problem as first described! My girlfriend has a E700 and photos sent from my E200 dont display properly either, unless i write a few lines of text with my message, then she can scroll down when she receives it and, hey presto, it suddenly goes okay again!

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest dazza12
mms pictures are just jpg. also the MMS part of the softwre is third party and nothing to do with MS. try upgrading the rom on ure e200.

I know this. It was a dig at M$, as nothing M$ does seems to adhere to common standards - they make their own. The ROM has been upgraded - I don't recall MMS being updated though in the latest release.

Skaramanga, I've tried putting a couple of lines with the message. Or does this only correct it if there's several lines? Let me know if there's a certain number of lines that work.

Guest zerosignull

dazza12: to check if the camera is saving dodgy jpg's try the folowing.

* take a picture

* copy it to your pc

* open it in paint

* save as a .bmp

* open the .bmp

* save it as a .jpg

* copy the newly created .jpg back to phone

* send it to k700

Doesnt have to be paint but some app that saves jpg's. this should help eliminate the original save file as being corrupt. let us know if your trying it and how it went

Guest skaramanga

I will try it again and see. I am almost sure i got it to work before by doing that, though i stopped sending her mms messages then because i got fed up with that problem. I'll let you know my findings!

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest dazza12
If it is a case of bad jpg's then we can complain the IA who have a forum on madaco

It is bad jpgs. I opened on the PC and saved as mentioned above. Now the user can view them with no problems.

I'm aware that most other phones don't have an issue with MMS sent from an SPV E200. This might be because error correction in other phones is able to sort out the errors in the jpg. Maybe the Samsung E700 uses a very basic viewer which does not have good error correction. This didn't occur to me as I assumed that if there was a known problem the many searches I did on Google and this forum would have picked them up.

I'm going to put this issue to IA and see if this is known to them or even fixable.

Guest zerosignull

thought has just occured to me. Try chaging the quality that the images are saved at from the camera(menu->options->general). start from the lowest take a picture and send then work you way up. there may just be a bug with a certain image quality save level . let us know how it turned out too!

• 5 weeks later...
thought has just occured to me. Try chaging the quality that the images are saved at from the camera(menu->options->general). start from the lowest take a picture and send then work you way up. there may just be a bug with a certain image quality save level . let us know how it turned out too!

Sorry it's been a while since I updated this thread.

Tried the above, no quality setting made a difference. Ended up copying each picture I needed to send to the phone to the PC, and re-saving as mentioned above. Also posted in the IA Style forum, but this seems to have been ignored.

It is a pain to keep re-saving the image, but it's the only solution available at the moment. I'm hoping IA Style look into this soon.