Got me a new GPS for my C500!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest sponge
"]...inc VAT and delivery, with all the bits above included, including Pocket PC nav software...

P

Just so I am 100% - the kit comes with software, but will any of it run on the c500?

Either way, you say you're running the Orange solution instead of what came with the Belkin kit? Why's that?

Just to keep you going, here's a few links to reviews of the Belkin/Fortuna unit:

Thanks Sponge :wink:

I'm almost tempted to order one of these right now and use with Mapopolis or something similar.

Paul, am I right in thinking that the Orange Navigation solution will include a monthly subscription charge and/or GPRS charges to download routes?

Guest mavisdavis

I bought the Fortuna BT Clipon unit from Ebay for £116 inc Delivery. I use it with Mapopolis and am extreamly pleased with it.

I did try the firmware upgrade for the unit from Fortuna (also ment to work on the Belkin) but I killed the Xtrac mode( Beware ). Never mind I dont normally get lost indoors :wink:

Still waiting on a reply from Fortuna regarding this :x

I eagerly await your review Paul, but my initial thoughts are there are no reasons to purchase the Belkin unit over the Fortuna one. As far as I can tell, they are both the same unit hardware wise; should both come with similar, if not the same, accessories; and the software that comes with the Belkin is useless for Smartphones. :)

A 2 yr warranty is nice, but it effectively costs £75.

My Belkin GPS kit just arrived from Simply, but I have decided to return it and buy the Fortuna unit instead. It's £75 cheaper. :!:

I sooooo want to open it and use it :cry: but I must resist.

I think I may have to pay the extra £6 to get next day delivery for the replacement. :wink:

Unless anyone wants to buy it off me :?: £189 + P&P (ie what I paid for it) :) But you'll have to be quick, let me know this afternoon. As I will email Simply for an RMA otherwise...

The Foruna kit arrived this morning and so far I'm very happy with it. Routes have been limited to my house :wink: , but I'm going out for a walk later so we'll see how it behaves then. I'll probably get a few funny looks walking down the high street with my pocket saying, 'Turn left in 100yds'. :)

I'm sending the Belkin kit back to Simply and will use the money I saved to get some compatible software. At the moment I am playing with Mapopolis.

I'm very impressed with the units ability to find, lock and track satellites. It's better than my Magellan and Garmin units which I use for walking and cycling. :P

I'm considering buying the Mapopolis European map pack, but it's cost warrants further research to make sure there isn't a better option available.

Am I right in thinking the Orange solution will involve a continuous subscription and maybe GPRS usage? If so, then Mapopolis seems the better option.

My 256mb mSD should arrive tomorrow, so I'l be able to fill it with maps. Speaking of maps - where is the UK map on mapopolis? I can only find individual counties for England, Scotland and Wales.

EDIT: Is the UK map only available when you purchase the map pack?

Guest bigSoft

Looks like an interesting product, can't wait to hear when the 'forthcoming' solution will be available. Will be a tempting option when it arrives in the Modaco shop thats for sure!

In regards to the car vent holder, how exactly does this work, the pictures of the product that I can find do not make it clear. Do you have to stick something to the rear of the phone permanently? Any chance you can provide some more details or pictures?

Cheers

i have to say, unless orange's map/gps software is extremely cheap - i'm going to be sticking with mapopolis... been plotting routes for places i know just so's a can hear that voice :)

yeah, ok, i need to get out more...

as for the clip on vent holder, i've ordered one - cheers for the heads up! i take it you put a magnet on the back of the phone!?

I used it to guide me to town this afternoon. It's a route I know like the back of my hand, but I just had to use it! :)

I was well impressed with it. It handled all my deliberate mistakes admirably.

Mapopolis needs a better voice though. A female voice would be a good start.

Guest Paul [MVP]

You stick a small metal plate to the back of the phone... I thoroughly recommend ditching the supplied fat sticky pad and using some nice thin double sided tape!

P

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest chucky.egg
Is the UK map only available when you purchase the map pack?

Yeah, I think it is.

There are 5 maps - the whole of the UK major roads, and then 4 "quadrant" maps of the same thing (but slightly more detailed I think) that are individually smaller files.

you can buy seperate county platinum+gps maps, but these don't give you turn by turn directions - this is the mistake i made when i bought a map to test my gps originally...

as a side note, i can get these belkin mounts from my supplier, although they're not showing a delivery date - i ordered one anyway, and the cost is £4.50 - i suppose i could do delivery for a quid, making it a bit cheaper than some of the other places - i saw these on expansys for 12 quid or something!

If you want 'good'..

Then TOMTOM have just released TOMTOM mobile..

Wow.. look at this..

The initial release is a full kit, bluetooth GPS, and MMC card with software on.. I phoned them, about "miniSD, installing to my larger 512MB car, etc, and I already have a BT GPS".. they just said more models are being added, and they should be doing a software only installation in the near future..

the initial cost is £200 which considering thats the GPS, UK Maps, and card, thats a damn good deal...

believe me, Tomtom is one of the best, if not the best, I use it on my PDA and it is truly an excellent package..

Oh, and more importantly, it should have POI detection built in, which means you can download free speed cameras POI databases, from

here and use it for safer driving :)

Co-pilot is also very good, and now in version 5 is on par with tomtom, although you can argue either way...

Guest travisb

Do you have the Tom Tom Bluetooth GPS? what's the battery life like?

Was thinking the Fortuna was more flexible as can be charged by mains as well as fag lighter (and the battery is replaceable).

I was using a wired USB GPS on my PDA, but have bought the fortuna BT GPS for use with the phone..

I am not sure if the tomtom BT GPS is the same as the old one they used to sell, that had one or two minor issues iirc..

It won't have the dual Xtrac setup like the fortuna, and I don't know about battery life, but I doubt its better then the fortuna..

If you want 'good'..

Then TOMTOM have just released TOMTOM mobile..

See i was interested, but having emailed tomtom and had no response within a week, and alongside that sending mapopolis support an email on a sunday and getting a response in 3 hours, i had to go for mapopolis...

i've got a feeling that the tomtom package would include the usual tomtom gps bt device as sold along with their pda package - cute and nice looking thing, but 5 hours battery compared with fortuna's 8hrs

If you look at the TomTom it also allows you to use GPRS to download traffic info and therefore the option to route around.  Nice...

now that's gonna be useful! (please note: non-sarcastic, no, really)... hmm, i'll wait until they bring the software only version out and see if there's a demo i can look at!

not forgetting the Speed Camera Database/detection TOMTOM has..

Also, co-pilot 5 are launching theirs.. see here

Seems like we will be inundated..

I've used stacks of sat-nav solutions, and although TOMTOM's support is naff, it really is the 'easiest' interface to get on with...

ddmf, glad your happy with mapopolis.. it does the job, and am sure the one or two niggles I have with it, will be ironed out shortly... I'm just glad we will have a good selection to choose from shortly...