C500 keypad multipress problems - i'm afraid it's hardware!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest fozzie
If the only problem is the fact it makes some games harder to play then it's no big problem really. Don't understand why it upsets so many people so much. Do you really spend so much times playing games on your phone? If so, buy an N-Gage, no....?

Totally agree with you there mate. I still think the C500 is the puppy's parts. Does everything I want a phone/PDA combo to do. So I can't use the joystick and press a key at the same time - whoopie doodah! If I want to play 'serious' games (if there is such a thing), I'll buy a games device! Anyone that buys a PHONE, primarily as a games device, has got more money than sense!

Phew, got that off my chest :) Just fed up with people jumping on the bandwagon to slag off something just because it doesn't do x, y or z. Simple solution - don't buy it!

Guest snakeeater

Never really played games on my SPV so Im not bothered in the slightest.

Who would want to play games on a mobile when you can have so much more fun on an xbox or PS2 :?

Guest midnight

Who would want to play games on a mobile when you can have so much more fun on an xbox or PS2  :?

i dont know about your ps2, but mine aint exactly mobile :)

the whole point of mobile phone games is convenience and convergance, even if you own a gameboy, chances are you dont take it everywhere with you, but a phone? thats another matter. the phone can be used as a phone, as a business tool, used to play movies, play games, play music etc.

If games on mobile phones aint that great then how come games are now bigger sellers than both ringtones and logos? The fact is, the processor, memory and display make the C500 one mean gaming device (over twice the speed of the E200 on current tests we've done), but its restricted due to the multipress and joystick issues. These can probably be worked around with clever game design in most cases, but some games will become horrid to play.

Guest djfuego

I like to wait at least 3 months before commiting to a new phone. I'm glad I've still got my trusty E100. It still plays games. not as well as a faster chip phone would but good enough. Maybe a better phone will be launched around Xmas

Guest HurricaneDave

Who would want to play games on a mobile when you can have so much more fun on an xbox or PS2  :?

what a stupid thing to say..

ok so when your on the bus or your on your break at work Etc.. lets see you get out your xbox and have a quick game of eclipse or pocket golf or whatever...

the point is wether you like mobile gaming or not a HELL of a lot of people DO and the stupidity of HTC and there cack handed team have caused nothing but sheer frustration from start to finish..what other arse about face company would make a phone with a 9 way joypad that was perfect for gaming(E100) and then release a technically better phone with bluetooth built in camera wm2003 and a boat load of other bits and peices and make with only a 5 way joypad that totally buggers up a lot of peoples gaming pleasure.

and then just to make things worse after the e200 debacle they go and make a kick arse phone(c500) that has a stupid bleeding roller buton and doesnt accept multipress..It seems to me that HTC dont want all of there users to be in the same category EG:(Hey do you like that phone??? its cool isnt it but you cant have all your eggs in one basket,,you can have this lovely c500 with kick ass features Etc but its totally crap roller button and lack of multi press make it unsuitable for games OR you can take a few steps backwards to when they actually did get something right and get the E100 as this is the only phone that they have made so far that was pretty much perfect for everything)

Guest fozzie

ok so when ....................... blah blah blah blah blah.................

Therefore, don't buy it. Jeez, some people!!

Guest Gorskar

I've NOT bought it!

But I do want a new phone - it has to be able to handle games though!!!!

Gimme a gaming microsoft smartphone and I'll buy it!!!

please gimme ](*,)

please ](*,)

please ](*,)

please ](*,)

Guest snakeeater

ok so when your on the bus or your on your break at work Etc.. lets see you get out your xbox and have a quick game of eclipse or pocket golf or whatever...

the point is wether you like mobile gaming or not a HELL of a lot of people DO and the stupidity of HTC and there cack handed team have caused nothing but sheer frustration from start to finish..what other arse about face company would make a phone with a 9 way joypad that was perfect for gaming(E100) and then release a technically better phone with bluetooth built in camera wm2003 and a boat load of other bits and peices and make with only a 5 way joypad that totally buggers up a lot of peoples gaming pleasure.

and then just to make things worse after the e200 debacle they go and make a kick arse phone(c500) that has a stupid bleeding roller buton and doesnt accept multipress..It seems to me that HTC dont want all of there users to be in the same category EG:(Hey do you like that phone??? its cool isnt it but you cant have all your eggs in one basket,,you can have this lovely c500 with kick ass features Etc but its totally crap roller button and lack of multi press make it unsuitable for games OR you can take a few steps backwards to when they actually did get something right and get the E100 as this is the only phone that they have made so far that was pretty much perfect for everything)

Think I hit a bit of a nerve there.

If the E200 wasnt built for games and neither is the C500 doesnt that tell you that HTC didnt really design the phone to be a gaming device?

They never sorted out the joystick issue with the E200. Why? Because they didnt really care and the same goes for the C500.

If this isnt suitable for you as a paying customer why dont you buy a DIFFERENT phone?

I would have thought that made sense.

Guest midnight

it's irrelevant whether it was built to be a gaming device, Microsoft developed the OS to be flexible so that ALL devices could be convergeance devices, that means they should be able to play games, movies etc. If HTC didnt care 'at all' about gaming, why bother making the GAPI fix? This is what seperates Smartphones from normal phones, they can do so much more, and part of that is the ability to play games.

We all know your opinion on mobile phone games, thats VERY clear, but what you have to understand is that most people who buy MS Smartphones expect the phone to be able to play games, that simple.

And then, theres the developers making games (that includes me), HTC have gone gradually away from the ability for the their phones to play games, its killing off the companies that are/where making games for the MS Smartphone platform. Original SPV was a great gaming device, nice joypad, E100 had a joystick, personally i thought the joypad was better, then came along the E200, and they removed diagonals, that was ok, could be designed around to make most of the games ok to play, and now comes the C500, ok, the joystick err or whatever you wanna call it, isnt ideal, but no multipress is just insane, what purpose does it serve?

Anyhoo, rant over, just remember just because YOU dont play games doesnt mean NOBODY plays games.

Isn't it possible to play just using the numbers keys ? Those accepte multitape, no ? 

Someone please answer !

Yes the number keys will accept multipress. Our friendly games designers will just have to design around this problem. Far from ideal though!

I must agree with Midnight though. The reason that the Smartphone in general has been successful is its ability to be flexible in terms of what you can do with it. I primarily use mine for business but as I commute for a number of hours each day its cool to have something to pass the time weather its listening to MP3's, watching a movie or even playing a game, the Smartphone is, and should be capable of all of these things regardless of the 'its a business phone' angle.

What is needed is some consistency within the platform to allow developers to produce software and be confident that the next handset isn't going to spell disaster or require a major re-work. This is just the kind of thing that frightens developers away from the platform and without decent software who is going to buy the damn thing?!

Guest winterdude

This is not just a problem for gamers but also hinders my remote neurosurgery performance.

It has cut the number of brain ops i can carry out from 4 an hour down to 2 an hour and the success rate is down to 1 in 10 :twisted:

I'm no engineer, but could the new rocker have been chosen because it takes up less space than a joystick? Seems Orange asked HTC to design the smallest, lightest model, so that was the clear priority.

I think Orange calls the shots on the specs, not HTC, but I am still baffled as to why the SPVs are so (progressively) gamer-unfriendly. Maybe they'll produce a gamer-friendly model later (now that the N-Gage has finally sold a million units)?

Does anyone have any hard stats showing that mobile gaming downloads is now a bigger revenue earner than ringtones and wallpapers? Cheers!

orange dont call the shots, well not directly. They publish a document of requirements in way of new handsets, as do the other phone networks. HTC look at it then deside where they want the phone to fit in.

I dont think size of the jpy pad comes into it, i think O would have been offered the feeler and the c500, and chose the c500 as they feel its better for there target market - buisness

here's a possible solution.. not ideal at all but its a start

cant someone write a generic usb joypad driver for the c500? after all it uses a mini usb port.

Now, i know people are not gonna carry a joypad in their pocket that is 3 times bigger than the phone, but its a start, maybe then someone could develop a mini 8 way pab that lays over the number keys or something.

i think this would be the good solution because, tets face it, even the joypad on the HTC feeler is not gonna be that good, they never are.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.