U-turn-tastic: Opera announced for Windows Mobile

Guest PaulOBrien

Remember that not all of us are blessed with 2003 devices though. For those of us stuck with the original OS, ANYTHING to replace PIE would be welcome. Do you remember the original PIE? Would you wish that upon even your worst enemy? ;-)

I second that ... anything remotely better than PIE is welcomed ... ! :)

Guest maxh2003
Frames is a nice idea, but practially useless (on the SPV that is).
Mmm, but I'm not really thinking about what works *well* on a Smartphone form factor. I'm thinking about what I'd like to work *at all*, even if it's fiddly and annoying. Even if it *is* a pain to use framed websites, I'd still like the ability, so I can do my remote banking. Anyway, it should just be a challenge to develop the best possible interface. How about a zoomed out mode, to give an idea of the page and allow frame selection, and a zoomed-in mode which shows only that frame? Perfect - nothing like. Usable in an emergency - quite possibly.

something Flash or javascript can't do much better/faster

I tend to agree - I really *don't* like Java - but there's still no Flash for Smartphone. I'd love to see that too. And javascript support on the Smartphone could be better. Again, I'm thinking of compatibility rather than anything else. Got no choice but to run that Java applet...? Ideally my Smartphone would handle everything my PC does - though possibly in different ways - for pure compatibility reasons. That's not going to happen any time soon, but surely it has to be a theoretical goal.

GPRS download speed is so great that one page at a time simply isn't enough
Again, not really what I had in mind. I tend to "branch" when websurfing, opening several pages from a single source (e.g. BBC News), not to save time in terms of downloads, but to save time in terms of going backwards-and-forwards. Using Forwards and Backwards to achieve the same thing is slow and annoying.

for one will not be running Opera simply becuase I have a grudge against Bills empire.

None of here can possibly be part of the I-hate-Bill Linuz brigade, else they wouldn't have given him $$$ in return for a Windows Mobile. Or am I wrong? Do we have any MacOS fanboys here? :-D :-D :-D

Anyway, I say we need Opera, Smart Browser, PIE and as many others as possible; maybe not so we can have them all installed at the same time, but doubtless each will present features the others don't.

Guest maxh2003

Haven't read my copy of the Grauniad today yet, but if it's Jack Schofield who's speculating, then I suggest that guess is not worth a great deal more than anyone else's!

Amusingly, the Digital Edition (~£10/mth) of the Guardian is a great example of why we need Opera! The site is entirely free of frames and java. But since it uses javascript to pop new windows, within which you can read the articles - the s0dding thing doesn't work on Smartphone at all. It barely works on my PocketPC, even using the rather-good NetFront browser. And they don't let you download the whole paper with a single click either.

I'd give up *all* the other possible benefits if it supported tabbed browsing, for this reason if no other!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.