Trend Micro™ MobileProtect for Microsoft™ Smartphone 2003

Guest squall

Source www.trendbeta.com

I like the look of the sms filter, but a virus scanner?

:shock:

Trend Micro™ Mobile Protect provides a focused anti-virus and SMS spam detection solution for Mobile phones and PDA devices. Service providers, Enterprises with mission critical mobile infrastructures as well as End-users requiring a security solution for portable devices may deploy the solution.

Trend Micro MobileProtect for Microsoft Smartphone 2003 offers the following features:

Comprehensive Virus Protection  

Real-Time Scan ( active for real-time protection)  

Storage Card Instant Virus Scan (triggered on SD/MMC card insertion)  

Manual Scan (user initiated on demand)

SMS Real-time Anti-spam

Only receive SMS by sender approved list or block SMS by sender blocked list  

Classification of spam into separate spam folder  

Anti-spam message log

Engine & Pattern Update

Manual update  

Automatic update via SMS notification

Ease of Deployment

Directly input the URL in IE of the phone to install this product  

Install from Host PC via ActiveSync

Log

Virus log, Spam log and Task Log (for manual scan & update)

Trend Micro solicits your valuable feedback on this exciting software product. Your input will help validate the new features, functions and usability of the software. The Beta program starts on August 15 2004 and will end on September 25 2004.  

If you would like to participate in this beta program being the first to adopt this new technology and already own a SmartPhone please register at:

MobileProtect Registration

At a guess i would say it wont protect against any smartphone specific virus's at the minute, but will provide a means of virus scanning if and when virus's come to be

Guest MPXtricky
I wonder which viruses this product protects against? Surely Symbian is the OS requiring protection, not Smartphone?

There is already a virus which is specific to Windows Pocket PC edition and it's only a matter of time before someone produces a Smartphone virus (IMO)

Dickers

Guest kyrkesmith

I can understand your point that prevention is better than cure, but I also reckon they're going to have trouble marketing something that currently protects you from nothing.

I can understand your point that prevention is better than cure, but I also reckon they're going to have trouble marketing something that currently protects you from nothing.

i think its something networks would be very keen on installing as standard, it gives them the protection from virus's if needed.

However i cant see it being a hit in the commercial market

There's plenty of mugs around with more money than sense. If you scare them enough they'll soon cough up the cash! Someone was saying the other day that they wanted/needed AV software for their Smartphone :roll:

Guest nedge2k

I've been using this for a while. Its pretty good :P Bit annoying that it asks u to scan the SD everytime you boot up the phone tho :? You can switch that off tho :)

Guest dahquim

Hey all

I was thinking.....

The smartphone may not be attacked by many virii, but what about as a means for passing on virii.

Think about your email account on the phone.. and then think about a mass emailler that attacked your contacts list.

And what about SMS attacks, imagine a virus that sent a text message to every contact in your phone book, this would not only cost the user a substainial amount of money but could possible interfer with the networks.

Just my thought.

Dahquim

Personally i think it may be insisted on by companies who already demand pda's etc have AV installed, as they can store and run data..

time will tell!, but if the Network Admins are unsure about installing activesync due to virus issues, this might help the argument.

They might not be thinking of selling it by itself, in teh past they have provided a free Virus PDA program with all of there Desktop PC based AV, so they might be packaging it in with that.

I must admit it does look good, I use Trend at home and when installing it looks like you have protection from all angles, Network, PDA, Wi-Fi and now smartphone.

Guest ndmorgan

I've been beta testing it and the anti spam is a great function, auto updates are great and using Trend on my pc for years I know that if they do develope windows 2003 viri then trend will be quick to provide protection.

As for the SD card scan - go to boots with a sd card and print your pics out - you have to insert it into a pc used by the public - what's to stop someone infect the pc with a virus and you picking it up when you use it.

When you pop the card back in - quick scan - virus - quarantine or delete it.

Out of interest PC-Cillin 2005 will include Wi-Fi network virus protection.

SPV 100E , 200, c500

Guest trendbeta

I noted that someone was asking about Symbian protection. The answer to this is: beta testing for MobileProtect for Symbian will be later this year (possibly December).

Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

Installed beta seems ok (UK E200, latest Orange rom). One problem so far I have set the option to prompt when cards are inserted.

But everytime I turn my phone on its says a card has been inserted would you like to scan it now :)

Guest doyle_am

They need to do some work on the screen layouts.

On my C500 various settings, checkboxes and lists go off the bottom/right of the screen.

Very nice product though :)

• 2 months later...
Guest sparkisgti

ive been beta testing this as well... the screen tick boxes problem was fixed with the newer version they sent us all as i reported it..

removed it when i did the update as it seemed to be eating memory like their was no tomorrow

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.