media player on c500 has "tss" sound every 10 secs

Guest joelb69

Guest dshaugney

I can see why many people think it may be Hardware, although I'd disagree. If the problem was hardware then we'd all be seeing the same exact problem, same 10 sec delay right out of the box. However, others say they have a different cycle, and many say it didn't start until later.

This leads many to think that it may be a conflict with software they installed. If so then why isn't it cured by a hard reset?

I've always belived that this is a software problem intrinsic to the implementation of the operating system itself. In other words it's a buggy ROM that hasn't been properly tested. More specifically I think it's something to do with the drivers that interact with the hardware; if there is such a thing, if not then something at the intermediate layer between the hardware and the topmost software layer. For example the graphics have the GDI layer.

This would explain how all the programs have this problem (WMP and Beta): Take GDI for example... Any program that uses it doen't have to know exactly how to use the hardware to create the graphics on the screen - instead the software tells GDI what it wants to do with the graphics (specific output) and GDI translates it into instructions for the hardware. That makes it alot easier to develop the programs.

Likewise with sound; all WMP does is decodes the audio sream and sends it to the audio driver for output. If not the drivers then the other only place could be a doggy codec.

Guest Confucious

Your arguments as to why it isn't hardware dn't hold up but do apply to software. if it was software a hard reset would cure itor we would all have the same problem. If it is something like a contact working loose or a soldered joint not making a proper contact that coukld explain why some people have it and others don't and why it can suddenly appear as that can be different from handset to handset whereas a Hard reset puts the software back to a state that is identical on all handsets.

I am at a loss to explain why the noise occurs at a regular interval as there are no moving parts but I'm getting more convinced that it is hardware not software related.

Guest dshaugney

what I'm trying to say is that hard reset wouldn't help because the rom itself is at fault.Imagine several layers like in networking there is the 7 Layer model.The top layer starts as software, application layer and gradually move down towards the hardware, physical layer.the chance for error is highest at the topmost software layers because usually hardware is set in its paths with no room for error. Hardware quality control is very good these days (there is always an exception). A loose solder would behave in an entirely random way and the sound would cut out/ distort a lot more than that. software is more often less reliable than hardware.

Guest Confucious

But surely if the ROM was at fault a) all phones would be affected and b)phones that were OK would not suddenly develop the fault?

You obviously know a lot more about software than I do so I am quite willing to accept your word . I agree that s/ware is a lot less reliable than H/ware but surely it is the same (at least after a hard reset) on each phone and you are, of course, right about the solder - it was just an example of how hardware "could" differ. The regularity of the fault does tend to point away from a hardware fault. I am purely hypothesizing so could obviously be totaly wrong.

Guest dshaugney

Likewise I am merely hypothesising. The reason that leads me to conclude about drivers is that it can be a variable of any sort to cause this sort of problem. But I do agree with you about the part that once it starts it does not stop-though we do not know the device very well, and I old not rule out a hardware defect.

Has anyone heard anything new on this issue? I just started to think that it is hardware and its a short from my headphone jack. I do not hear the sound when im using the supplied headphones. But when I use my own headphones with an adaptor that does not have three rings on the plug, missing ring is from the missing microphone on my headphones I believe, it makes that sound. Any thoughts...

Guest pmouzak

Hi guys. New Qtek 8010 user here from Greece.

Well yes, the problem exists on Qtek as well. The weird thing is that none of the greek forum reports such a problem. I thought I was mad till I read this topic.

This damn sound is very annoying. My phone makes the "tss" in all types of music, with all apps... tried http://www.modaco.com/viewtopic.php?p=97945#97945>Hard Reset...tried flight mode...but nothing :)

I personally think it is a hardware problem due to the fact that it seems that phones with all versions of software have this problem(qtek, audiovox, orange etc), even with mp10. My qtek has a greek version of windows which was developed by ace hellas in collaboration with microsoft hellas.

The official supplier (Ace Hellas) told me that I should have the phone(hardware) checked.

Anyway I' ve contacted the service department (Teleservice International) and they said I should bring the phone to them for examination. I am going to do that in the next days. Hope they can solve the problem.

The phone is excellent but this bug makes me wonder whether I should have waited for the motorola mpx220...

Edited by pmouzak

Guest shodanjr_gr

I got the C500 as my new years gift from Santa :(

Love the phone, unlocked it fine from c500-unlock. I ran accross this thread and tried out a couple of sound files on the mobile. Now, this is how it was.

There was no tsss on the 60 second silence mp3 file. It was well, silent. I also dont seem to notice it on a couple of metal music files (but it might be blending in with the drums, the two sounds are similar). I did notice it in a classical music midi file, it was definetely there, not TOO annoying, but still it can be distracting on such kinds of music (thank God i am a metal fan :) ).

Apparently this problem exists on all C500 (or at least the vast majority) so i cant really see a reason to take it back (i mean for 150 pounds i get nothing near the spv back home in Greece). If anyone knows of a good smartphone that Orange carries that costs around 150 on Pay as You Go, then id be gratefull to hear it.

Still my thoughts are that it is a software issue. As it has been already said, the problem seems way to "simmetrical" to be a hardware issue (happens at regural intervals and does not happen on all files). My thought is that it must be some dodgy sound API intergrated in Windows Mobile 2003, which was part of the HTC rom used as a base for the carrier customized roms. Remember, this is just a wild guess so dont quote me on it.

Still i got no problem with it, the phone seems really solid and i love it. And you just cant beat the price tag.

PS: If anyone has got alternative suggestions for a Pay as you go smartphone from Orange costing about 150 pounds, let me know

PS2: Great work on the site guys :(

Guest olly_k

This Tsss sounds like one of two things to me. It is either a break-up of the codec being played i.e. a 'slow down' glitch like you would get on a damaged CD, OR it could be interferance from data flying around inside the phone - the only reason I say this is because if you have an older Bang & Olufsen link system and turn volume levels up high, pressing the remote control will produce sounds very similar to this, although at v. low levels. Personally I prefer the 'slow down' option myself.

I also think this sound is fairly un-noticeable due to a number of factors which will vary depending on the type of music listened too, the listeners hearing ability and the fact that once you have heard it I think you are concious so therefore listen for it!

Thats just my take on the matter anyway.

Guest tedblight

I think its a Bass issue - if you listen to 'The Prodigy - Experience' its full of 'Tss' sound every 2 seconds... but then skip too 'Samuel Barber - Adagio for Strings' and there is no 'Tss' sound (yes I have wierd taste in music)

To be honest, i've learned to live with the 'Tss' sound - the C500 is still the best phone on the market (but i'm already saving for the Mpx)

Guest pharma79

i also agree with you . its more probable to be SW . unfortunately all variants` roms are infected . if not i would simply install the good one :cry:

I think i better get an ipod or some thing. :)

Guest Reboot

Hi, I had the same strange noise every few seconds. That was after I converted my mp3'w to 64kbs and a freqency of 32000. So i changed the conversion from 128 to 96 kbs and kept the freqency at 44100 and now the noice is gone or only in a few numbers.

Guest Dr Who
I think its a Bass issue - if you listen to 'The Prodigy - Experience' its full of 'Tss' sound every 2 seconds... but then skip too 'Samuel Barber - Adagio for Strings' and there is no 'Tss' sound (yes I have wierd taste in music)

To be honest, i've learned to live with the 'Tss' sound - the C500 is still the best phone on the market (but i'm already saving for the Mpx)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I listen to Drum and Bass pretty exclusively and I have never had the dreaded tss sound.

Guest sparkisgti
i also agree with you . its more probable to be SW . unfortunately all variants` roms are infected . if not i would simply install the good one  :cry: 

I think i better get an ipod or some thing. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

get a sony PSP :twisted:

Guest outofthisworld

we talked about this in 2004 now we are in 2005, still no reply. one thing is sure i will never buy any htc products again. i will certainely warn everyone i can by all means posts on all mobile phone forums not to buy htc phones ever.

i doubt that orange or htc will deal with this problems, i also doubt that there is a solution, since if there should have been one it should have been solved long ago. over the 2 spv c500 i had replaced the third had the same problem. so software bug or not the problem is still here in 2005.

Guest sparkisgti
we talked about this in 2004 now we are in 2005, still no reply. one thing is sure i will never buy any htc products again. i will certainely warn everyone i  can by all means posts on all mobile phone forums not to buy htc phones ever.

i doubt  that orange or htc will deal with this problems, i also doubt that there is a solution, since if there should have been one it should have been solved long ago. over the 2 spv c500 i had replaced the third had the same problem. so software bug or not the problem is still here in 2005.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

but if your playing the exact same files would you consider its a problem with the compression of those files and how they are replayed on the c500

i have only had this tss thing once, on one file out of the millions of mp3 files i have played on my c500

slaggin htc/c500 off when it seems to me this is a problem with mp3's files and not the hardware is a bit daft.. well IMO anyway

Guest Disco Stu
slaggin htc/c500 off when it seems to me this is a problem with mp3's files and not the hardware is a bit daft.. well IMO anyway

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What I thought :|

Guest PayableOnDeath

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

if its the mp3 file Wouldnt the tss sound also be on when playing thou the loudspeaker?

I have this tss sound on most of my mp3's all thoug maybe its something to do with type as music you are listening to as well cos the ones that dont seem to have the tss on my phone its club/dance music but when I listen rock/metal music I hear the tss

Guest ddieter
but if your playing the exact same files would you consider its a problem with the compression of those files and how they are replayed on the c500

i have only had this tss thing once, on one file out of the millions of mp3 files i have played on my c500

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you are claiming the problem is with the MP3 files and not the hardware...then please explain to me why the MP3 files I play on my C500 that are full of TSS noises, are perfectly TSS free when I play them on my original SPV, using the same MiniSD card in an SD adapter :?:

It's definitely C500 related...not file related!

Guest shodanjr_gr

Can someone upload a file which during playback TSS-ses, and another one which doesnt? (on the same phone that is). Dont post a no-sound-for-xx-seconds.mp3 file. We need normal songs so that the codec can get to work.

If its codec related, then the same file would do the samething on all phones (since all C500s apparently got the same version of Media Player etc). BTW has anyone confirmed wether this is happening on other brands and variants of the Typhoon (Qtek, Imate etc)? Does it happen on the SP-3(i believe this is what the typhoon with the media player buttons is called)?

Edited by shodanjr_gr