SIM unlock your C500 /AudioVOX (£20 cost)

Guest florin_m

Guest Confucious

Unlocking just removes the lock to network so you can use other netorks, it doesn't change the functionality of the phone but, from florin_m's post this does seem to be a firmware issue. Maybe he could hack the firmware to allow quad band?

Thanks for your hardwork - so if I flash it with the Orange network how much work would that be and what do you mean I would lose WMP10, and 850 MHZ radio? What would that effect?

Guest Confucious

mykel - you would get WMP9 which is what we in the UK have to put up with. As for 850 - it depends on what network you are on. In most of the world networks use either 900 or 1800. In the USA most (I believe) use 1900 but some use 850(and some countries in central/south america I believe) . If you are on 1900 and won't use 850 then it's not a problem but if your network transmits on 850 or you are roaming into an area which transmits on 850 you will not be able to use your phone.

HTH

Thanks for the information - as a follow up - if I decide that I am impatient (I usually am ^_^ ) and wanted to flash the firmware / software to make the phone a (for all intents and purposes) Orange phone - how would I go about doing that?

Guest johnmcl

Hi Florin,

I just purchased an audiovox smt5600 from att. I am interested in unlocking the phone and retrieving 900mhz by burning orange firmware into it. Let me know how can i do it. I travel a lot to asian countries and i love to use this phone over there. my email is [email protected]

thanks,

johnmcl

About a week ago i finally got the excellent SPV C500 (or however else it's called around the world).

Its a really great smartphone!

I'd love to have it unlocked, as I'm at UK just for studies. At xmas time i will be going back to my country.

The only problem I'm facing, is that I was told, that by SIM Unlocking my phone, I might lose anykind of warranty on the phone by Orange.

Is that true?

Can orange official unlock this phone if I ask for it? I know they would do that with some other phones, but would they mess with Gate's software? ^_^

At the beginning I was thinking of using my old phone when visiting my country for some short holidays. Until my contract almost ended, and I wouldn't mind about warranty anymore, so I was gonna have it unlocked before summer holidays.

But after living a week with this baby, I found out that I cant do without it :shock:

Guest phonemag

Yep,

It's been exactly a week. Although my SMT 5600 is a great "pda", I sure would love to use the phone feature some day soon.

Florin,

Please give us another update.  I believe it has been about a week since your last update.

Thanks

Guest revolution.cx

That'd be awesome because like phonemag I need my SMT5600 to be more than a PDA and like others would be willing to flash to a C500 if that meant getting it unlocked (provided I could reflash back to an SMT5600 later).

WMP10 is nice but not as nice as using $9.95 unlimited GPRS from tmobile!

This week-end you'll all get an update.

Yeah, T-mobile has the best data plan in the states.

Almost made the mistake of going with AT&T just for the phone... :shock:

$24.99 for unlimited GPRS?!?!?! No thanks.

I'll be checking this thread all weakend for an update.

Guest revolution.cx

Since I paid full price for the SMT5600 (a great name - for a government form) I figured I'd call ATT and try to get it unlocked.

The rep did go and ask but the answer was they don't unlock ANY of their phones. It was worth a try. Maybe I'll try in store.

Guest phonemag

$24.99 for unlimited GPRS is for mMODE which only consist of a handful of sites you can visit. According to the sales clerk, ATT's "real" unlimited data plan is $80! Cingular's data plan is non-existance. What to do?

Yeah, T-mobile has the best data plan in the states.

Almost made the mistake of going with AT&T just for the phone...   :shock:    

$24.99 for unlimited GPRS?!?!?!  No thanks.

I'll be checking this thread all weakend for an update.

Guest phonemag

Don't you mean $19.95 instead of $9.95? If so, I'm being ripped off by T-Mo ^_^

That'd be awesome because like phonemag I need my SMT5600 to be more than a PDA and like others would be willing to flash to a C500 if that meant getting it unlocked (provided I could reflash back to an SMT5600 later).

WMP10 is nice but not as nice as using $9.95 unlimited GPRS from tmobile!

Guest revolution.cx

At the risk of getting off-topic: $9.95 is T-Zones pro. I can browse the Internet all I want with IE, do SMTP/POP3 and IMAP. SSL ports are even open. $19.95 gets you their "Internet" package or some such which has lots of open ports (VPN, etc).

I have also used my E100 (SPVx) as an external modem for my laptop using this $9.95 plan. Did 10's of megabytes a day for a week many times a year and they never said anything.

$24.95 on ATT will get you basically the same thing as the $9.95 TMO plan. The $80 plans and such are for using the phone as a data modem.

We should continue this in another thread, not to mention that this thread was a C500 unlock one and not an SMT5600 one. But I'm in a hurry and lazy right now so I'll just try and pass the buck...

Don't you mean $19.95 instead of $9.95?  If so, I'm being ripped off by T-Mo ^_^

Guest paxkine

I just picked up the 5600 locked from an AT&T store...I have 15 days to find an unlock code for it before I return it

come on Florin! Do your magic buddy 8)

Guest dandyrandy

With all the slipped dates mentioned over the past weeks (including the update promised for this past weekend that never materialized) we must conclude that there is a more significant problem with getting these phones unlocked than anyone (including Florin's crew) realized, despite early assurances that it would indeed be possible.

It's unfortunate, especially for those of us who bought the phone on the strength of those assurances and for whom returning the phone is no longer an option, as the deadline for a refund is now long past.

I'm not blamimg anyone, but it's certainly an expensive lesson for me.

Guest revolution.cx

I'm considering it, but the money question is can we flash back to the SMT5600 ROM at some point?

And then we still have to pay to get the C500 unlock code and pay AGAIN when the SMT5600 unlock comes out.

Maybe I'll just get ATT service and be done with it.

@dandyrandy

you could just flash your phone to the c500 firmware then unlock it like a c500. someone did this on ebay and is now selling the phone. here is the link http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...5729071360&rd=1

hope this helps.

Guest must50302

i have been checking out the difference between the c500 and the 5600 firmware.it seems that wmp 10 is the only difference.i am really thinking about doing this .i really would like to use this phone.i have had this phone for 2 1/2 weeks now ..i would like to use it know!!!!! :!: :!: