SIM unlock your C500 /AudioVOX (£20 cost)

Guest florin_m

Guest dandyrandy
...it seems that wmp 10 is the only difference...

Is there no difference in frequency coverage? I was under the impression that the C500 was for intended for the European market.

Guest revolution.cx

[This is mainly for USA users]

There is. You'll lose the 850 band and gain 900 with the Orange firmware. But since the point is to go to T-Mobile who only use 1900 it doesn't matter.

So the questions for Florin are:

- If we flash to Orange firmware can we reflash to the SMT5600 standard ROM later? It would be great to be able to save our curent ROM ourselves. There is no download from ATT for the ROM.

- Will you do a 2 for 1 on the unlock code? Can we get a C500 unlock code and then an SMT5600 code if you are ever able to provide one for the price of one unlock? We won't ask for a guarantee that you'll get the 5600 figured.

Thanks!

Is there no difference in frequency coverage? I was under the impression that the C500 was for intended for the European market.

Guest aristoBrat
- Will you do a 2 for 1 on the unlock code?  Can we get a C500 unlock code and then an SMT5600 code if you are ever able to provide one for the price of one unlock?  We won't ask for a guarantee that you'll get the 5600 figured.

AFAIK, one the phone is unlocked, the phone remains unlocked, regardless of the ROM that goes on it.

Someone will yell if that's not 100% true, but I've had no problems going back and forth between IMATE/QTEK/ORANGE ROMs on my older Smartphone...

Guest revolution.cx

Unfortunately that's not the case here. There are no unlocked 5600's out there as of yet. Florin can't make it happen and ATT won't unlock phones.

If it were a matter of a ROM swap with unlocking in the middle we'd be all over it. (not yelling).

AFAIK, one the phone is unlocked, the phone remains unlocked, regardless of the ROM that goes on it.

Someone will yell if that's not 100% true, but I've had no problems going back and forth between IMATE/QTEK/ORANGE ROMs on my older Smartphone...

Does anyone have any insight on making a backup of your own rom? Is it possible to flash to a new rom without unlocking?

At this point I think I'll live without WM10, flash with orange firmware, and run (not walk) to my closest Tmobile.

Guest florin_m

Hi boys. Sorry for delays but been realy bussy.

Just now you can UNLOCK audiovox by flashing with Orange (first unlock and then flash the firmware as the other way round the phone it will refuse to flash).

We add your imei to the database and as soon we finish the AudioVox solution, you can re-login in my website and download a fix for audiovox, so you'll be able to back to AudioVOX firmware.

If you want to do that just email [email protected] with your paypal email details so we can send you a payment request.

Guest revolution.cx

Okay, for my 5600 did the c500 unlock. Flashed to Orange ROM.

It all works and I'm a happy camper. WMP10 is a small price to pay for having a working phone. At some point Orange will update the ROM to support WMP10 or the 5600 unlock process will work.

All the emails with the service provider (Florin) were great and step by step. He gives you 2 options for either an 850 radio or a 900 radio.

Guest gcherian
All the emails with the service provider (Florin) were great and step by step.  He gives you 2 options for either an 850 radio or a 900 radio.

Can you explain that sentence a bit for me - please. Does this mean that now I can unlock 5600 and get the 850 radio band for use with cingular?

How does that work, is it an option while flashing or after flasing you choose the band. Let;s all know - thanks in advance for the update.

As soon as I see the reply that I am hoping for - ATT sells another SMT5600 to me ^_^

Guest aristoBrat
Unfortunately that's not the case here.  There are no unlocked 5600's out there as of yet.  Florin can't make it happen and ATT won't unlock phones.

That's not quite right. If you re-read one of Florins last posts, he said that he can currently unlock the 5600. The side effect is that the unlock process corrupts the AT&T ROM. The workaround is then to install the Orange ROM (but that makes your phone 900/1800/1900).

Guest dandyrandy

The unlock completed successfully, and the flash went without a hitch. Help was there via email every step of the way, and now I can use my former $320 paperweight. Looking forward to the full Audivox solution; thanks so much to Florin and crew!

BTW. in regards to radio, Florin provides a choice of firmware - one for 850 and one for 900 - so go for it!

==

Randy

Guest edstark

I apologize for this newbie question that seems to be obvious to everyone. I would like someone to point me to some help on flashing to Orange and then after Florin gets the new unlock working, flashing back to Audiovox. Is there some way to save the Audiovox firmware? Is there somewhere to get the Orange firmware?

Thanks for your help!

Guest spinedoc
BTW. in regards to radio, Florin provides a choice of firmware - one for 850 and one for 900 - so go for it!

==

Randy

OK still quite confused here, does this mean you can reflash the phone with the Orange software AND have 850 to use with Cingular? Can someone clarify? Is it really that hard for this dang unlocking? Can someone post some kind of an update?

Guest dandyrandy

Okay, here's the radio scoop. When you order the unlock for the Audiovox, you are then offered either of two versions of firmware - both are Orange-branded. One includes 850, the other includes 900. You can flash back and forth as much as you want, and it's not that hard to do. Someone suggested 850 for Cingular and 900 for T-Mobile. I use T-Mobile and flashed the 850 version and am using the phone with no problem.

Not only that, but once the Audiovox problems are resolved, they will offer that firmware as well (to paying customers, I assume).

Of course you can use the 850 with Tmobile... because Tmobile has contractual arrangements with other carries to cover the 850 band.

But, Tmobile supports the 900 natively with their towers and Cingular supporrts the 850 natively.

You may want to consider flashing to the 900 for Tmobile.

Guest phonemag

Two point of clarifications please:

1-When the Audiovox solution is available, do we HAVE to pay for another unlock - I wasn't sure based on your update above.

2-I could car less about Windows Media 10; will the Orange ROM work with T-Mo's network(any issues?)

Thanks!

Hi boys. Sorry for delays but been realy bussy.

Just now you can UNLOCK audiovox by flashing with Orange (first unlock and then flash the firmware as the other way round the phone it will refuse to flash).  

We add your imei to the database and as soon we finish the AudioVox solution, you can re-login in my website and download a fix for audiovox, so you'll be able to back to AudioVOX firmware.

If you want to do that just email [email protected] with your paypal email details so we can send you a payment request.

Guest revolution.cx

After poking around a bit this is what I've found.

This is USA only info:

1900 and 850 are the only GSM frequencies used. 850 use is new and is only used by ATT (now Cingular).

and to confirm what the other poster said: Florin offers a ROM image that supports 850. The other nice benefit of the Orange ROM is no more system wide clear type which I find blurry and ugly.

Also unable to sign in to Messenger but it's probably not ROM related.

Of course you can use the 850 with Tmobile...  because Tmobile has contractual arrangements with other carries to cover the 850 band.  

But, Tmobile supports the 900 natively with their towers and Cingular supporrts the 850 natively.

You may want to consider flashing to the 900 for Tmobile.

Guest adkalra

Here is how it works from what I understand.

T-mobile is 1900 in the US. There is no official 850 roaming using T-mobile, but some people have stated that were able to roam onto an 850 network in some areas.

Cingular is natively 1900/850 depending on the area. ATT is also 1900/850 depending on the area.

Florin can unlock the 5600. You will then be provided (from florin I presume) an Orange firmware. The firmware will have either triband with 850 or triband with 900 depending on your choice.

Personally I have T-mobile. But I am still going to choose 850 version, incase t-mobile decides to open up roaming with Cingular/ATT.

I would love to get the process going. Apparently Florin is quite busy at the moment, I sent a couple of e-mail's to e-mail address provided in his update.

Thanks,

Amit

Guest must50302

me too adkalra. i have sent many emails too.i think i have checked my email about a 1000 times today waiting for a reply.i just want to start using this phone. ^_^

Guest aristoBrat
I have created a new SMT5600 unlock thread that starts with a summary of the current state of things.

I respectfully suggest we start over there particularly since people keep asking the same questions that have been answered in this thread already.

http://www.modaco.com/viewtopic.php?p=466398#466398

Excellent recap in the new thread. (So much so that I didn't want to ruin it with a compliment, so ... I posted it here, in the monster thread) ^_^

I'll post links at Howardforums.com and SmartPhoneThoughts.com over to your new thread because there's a lot of talk on those forums too.