TomTom Mobile Review & How2 Guide Now for C500

Guest awarner

Guest Confucious

Having not got a BT GPS receiver the choice is between buying TomTom with a BT receiver fior £170 or buying a BT receiver (cheapest I've seen is about £150) then trying to get a copy of the software (illegally) and hoping I can get it working with mmy receiver (from the previous posts I probably could). A no brainer really, I'l;l be goingb the legal route.

But it does beg the question of would I if I allready had a BT GPS receiver? And the answer is probably not.

I have legal versions of all the software I use regularly but I tend to get illegal versions of software first (unless there is someone reading this who is likely to prosecute or report me in which case I am talking about a friend) to try out. If I already had a BT receiver it would not be worth me paying for another one no matter how good TomTom was. Why do they not sell just the s/ware? Just a thought.

Does anyone know if, when they release a version wth the C500 fix built in, it will be available on MiniSD? I am not sure wether I can free up enough space on my card to copy it. if they are going to release it on MiniSD I will probably wait for that (I've been out of work for nearly 2 years and can't really afford it anyway!) If they aren't I'll probably buy it anyyway and then have to buy a bigger (ie 512Mb) card which will bump up the price.

Guest pete1312

@confucious

I can only guess that TT will be occasionally reading this thread, and will soon be implementing some sort of extra security in future retail versions.

In the meantime, everyone appears free to make their own decisions. (I think life has always been like that since Adam & Eve)!

I've got the fully paid for licensed version, and I'm very happy with it. However, if my dedicated TTM GPS unit should ever fail out of guarantee, I'll certainly be searching the web for a cheaper replacement, e.g. Fortuna Clip On or whatever!

Guest pete1312

@confucious

PS: I can't envisage that TT will issue C500 specific software, i.e. on a mini SD card. Their existing software comes on an MMC card, which we E200 users have to copy onto a larger SD card.

If they do, it will surely come at a higher price?

Guest Confucious

I tjhink they are missing out on a market of people that allready have a BT receiver and, like you say, if yours fails you want the choice.

Just my oppinion, trying to tie people in doesn't tend to work. I had to get a cracked version of the orriginal Lotus 123 to try it nad when I did I could persuade my company that that is what we needed and they bought hundreds of copies.

Like I say, just my opinion.

Guest pete1312

I appreciate your opinion, and if I had already owned another GPS unit, I would fully concur with it.

As it was, I bought from scratch.

TT Marketing Dept either know what they are doing (or just think they do) :lol:

Guest awarner [MVP]

TomTom as far as I know and have posted previously will do a

miniSD version, until they do the official line is they do not support

the C500 even though unofficially the fix works etc. The reason for this

in my opinioin, is how can they support a device where the user has to

copy the software in order to make it work on their phone.

Guest Confucious

I don't own another GPS unit (well I do but it's a Compact flash one I bought ages ago and incompatable with the C500) so i'm sure I will buy the package but if I allready owned a BT GPS? What would be my options? :shock:

I posted this ten saw awarners reply to which:

The existing version comes on an mmc card which has to be copied onto an SD card for the e200 - or am I mistaken?

Guest pete1312

If I had not already been assured via this thread (& awarner in particular) that I could successfully copy the original MMC card to a larger SD card, then I would not have purchased in the first place.

As it is, you can, and I did!

No one in their right mind wants to keep swapping cards every time they get in their car!

I maintain my previous view of TT's Marketing Dept!

The existing version comes on an mmc card which has to be copied onto an SD card for the e200 - or am I mistaken?

Mistaken. MMC cards fit in to SD slots fine.

Guest sameerabedi

I know u've posted a guide on how to connect to the GPS, but if u could just post a step by step from the best way to copy it across and then how to install TomTom, connect it to the GPS and then how to insert the camera database!

I know it's all been done but it seems to be all over the place in different parts!

If it's too much trouble then don't worry!!!

Sorry for the inconvenience!!

Thanks!

Guest Confucious

Mistaken. MMC cards fit in to SD slots fine.

Bugger! you're right. Ive got so confused with my my memory cards i'd forgotten tht MMC cards are readable and the same size as SD cards. Thanks for the well deserved and needed kick up the ar$e!

Guest pete1312

Yes - of course they fit the slots and work fine.

My point is that I have loads of other programs on my SD card and do not wish to switch to a MMC card and therefore lose everything else (especaially Fonix Voice Dial) when I am in my car.

When I bought TTM, I simultaneously bought a 512MB SD card to copy everything onto. It works perfectly, and I still have plenty of room for European maps when they are released.

Anyone have any idea when European maps are going to be released?

Guest awarner [MVP]
I know u've posted a guide on how to connect to the GPS, but if u could just post a step by step from the best way to copy it across and then how to install TomTom, connect it to the GPS and then how to insert the camera database!

I know it's all been done but it seems to be all over the place in different parts!

If it's too much trouble then don't worry!!!

Sorry for the inconvenience!!

Thanks!

There is no install of TomTom,you just place the card into the phone and

run TomTom.

The Update is an exe file that you run from the PC and via Activsync installs to the phone, when installing choose Storage card.

If you want to copy the original card to a larger one or from MMC to miniSD the best option is to use a card reader as it will not timeout as Activsync has a habbit of doing.

Guest mavisdavis

TT does work on the 500 with my fortuna . i'll post pictures later if i remember. my friend has TT on his e200 and kindly let me try it on my 500 to see if it works for when he upgrades. Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest sameerabedi

Hi, just another quick question, anyone know of a good phone holder for the c500 in the car which then allows u to place the phone in eye range whilst driving?

www.mobilefun.co.uk have a good one which is awaiting stock, but has been for over 2 months. The peope using TomTom with the c500 - any good phone holders and if so, where did u get it from?

Thanks

Guest markhammill

I went for the Belkin vent mount. I bought it from the link but it is available from loads of places.

Avoid the small Pama one that sticks on the dash. It falls off because it bends under the preasure of the spring.

Guest awarner [MVP]

For some reason my car charging equipment does not work now

on the C500 even though I'm sure it used to :?

I'm using the same cables that I sync and charge with the lappy so it's

not a cabling issue.

I am looking into this at the moment but until I know the problem

I'm using an invertor in the car with the mains charger :lol:

Cheating I know :D

Guest Confucious
F

I'm using the same cables that I sync and charge with the lappy so it's  

not a cabling issue.

It is a cabling issue. As has been reported before in other threads when a standard USB cable is used with a normal charger it will not work. The charger that comes with the phone sends a data signal through the cable as does any PC with Activesync installed (which is why the standard USB cable does not work with a PC when ActiveSync is not installed). The way round this is to join Pins 4 and 5 on the mini USB connector. Full instructions on how to do this have been given (with pictures) in another thread.

Guest awarner [MVP]

The key part of my sentance is the sync and CHARGE cable I use.

as in the cable also charges my phone. Also preupdate I am sure

the cables used to work with my seperate USB mains adaptor as I used to charge at work.

Guest Confucious

The cable is a standard USB cable which will workwith the phone and any PC with ActiveSync installed to charge the phone.

Without ActiveSync installed the cable will not charge the phone..

AFAIK no other charger provides the data signal that enables it to work with the C500 and I thought this was the same pre and post update. Are you sure your charger worked Pre update?

I get my info from this thread and my own experience.

I could , of course, be wrong and would love to hear of a charger that does work with the phone.