TomTom Mobile Review & How2 Guide Now for C500

Guest awarner

Guest awarner [MVP]

Interesting and I did think that there may be a pinout problem but

I am sure the phone used to charge pre update. Unless I have really los the plot.

Guest Confucious

It would be interesting if it did -if we could find out what's changed maybe we could find a way of getting other charfers working. I, unfortunatly, have mnot been able to get any of my other chargers working and am to cack handed to do the mod myself.

Guest spacerace
"]C500 car chargers will be in the MoDaCo Shop shortly (they were on show at the event, and are very well made)

P

any idea when "shortly" will be ?

Guest mavisdavis
Hi, just another quick question, anyone know of a good phone holder for the c500 in the car which then allows u to place the phone in eye range whilst driving?  

www.mobilefun.co.uk have a good one which is awaiting stock, but has been for over 2 months. The peope using TomTom with the c500 - any good phone holders and if so, where did u get it from?

Thanks

I have a Krussell case with the car holder sticky clip. Its ace :wink:

Guest live4life

I copied my tomtom mobile to a larger sdcard, but somehow screwed up... Now tomtom can't find the maps anymore! Can anybody tell me the way the directories should be structured?

Guest sameerabedi

What is the best way to copy TomTom to miniSD? I have a card reader on my laptop - so is it better to copy it to my harddisk and then to the minisd via the same card reader, or direct from card reader to minisd via Activesync???

Thanks

Guest pete1312

@live4life:

@sameerabedi:

Not sure if this will help either of you but I'll simply relate my own simple setup procedure:

1) I bought a new 512MB SD card.

2) I copied the contents of the TTM MMC card to it. (can't actually recall whether I used A.Sync or my printer's inbuilt card reader, but I don't think it would have mattered).

3) I had previously backed-up/copied my old 128MB SD card contents to my PC.

4) I copied the back-up of my old card to my new card (again can't recall whether I used AS or Card Reader)

5) Everything worked - hunky dory!

Sorry - I am not a "techie", but I had no problems at all.

Maybe awarner can help you further in detail if necessary?

Guest pete1312

@ live4life

As far as file structure is concerned (and I am not an expert), you should end up with the following Folders on your Storage Card:

1) 2557: (which needs to include the AutoRun.exe from the original TTM MMC card).

2) Great-Britain-Map: (where you can also later add Speed/"Safety" Camera *.ov2 database files).

3) TomTom

+ of course whatever else you want on your SD card!

I don't have a clue as to what may have been added to the Phone itself!

Guest timalloy6711

brilliant review I have been tempted to go out and buy coz I love my E200 (free from Orange) crazy!!

One question tho' can you use multiple b/tooth devices --what I mean is can I answer on my Jabra headset whilst it is connected to the GPS?

thank you

stewart

Guest pete1312
sorry to be a pain where is the cheapest place to buy?  I've seen it on E Bay for £159.00 apprx

Just do a google & ebay search to get best price for today. I bought over a month ago from ebuyer @ £180, but cheaper prices are now available.

Guest pete1312
On ebay it's £154.95 + £9.95 P &P

It's actually £154.99 + VAT + £9.95 P&P = £192.06 total!

As I said previously, I paid circa £180 all in from ebuyer a month ago, but I'm sure slightly cheaper offers may be available.

Guest sameerabedi

At long last TomTom has arrived and within fifteen minutes I had it working on my C500. although I've only used it for minor journeys to work, I must say that it is a phenomenal piece of kit!

I added the speed camera files (.csv & .bmp) to the map folder but when I enable the POI it didn't spot da cameras on my route even though they've been there 4 the past 3 years at least! I've followed all the instructions posted in this forum but it doesn't seem to work. Any tips?

Also, what is da best Bluetooth headset to buy which enables u to hear the instructions through the headset. According to the posts on Modaco the Sony Ericsson HBH-300 allows u to listen to MP3s on the phone. Can anyone confirm that u can also hear the driving directions?

And lastly thanks to everyone on these posts for their help, much appreciated!

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest awarner [MVP]

Regarding speed camera database it will only show camera's that

have been reported. With enabling the POI did you set it to sound

an alert when you get near the POI? You can set sound and distance

in Change Preferencec 5. Maintain POI 4. Warn when near POI

In there select the POI and enter the distance and sound.

Guest sameerabedi

yeah I did enable warn when near POI. Still nothing. These cameras have been there 4 over 3 years so is there any reason why they wouldn't show up? Are there any other databases available?

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest simontan1

After reading this thread, I decided to take the plunge and bought a Pretec Bluetooth GPS today.

Here is my basic how to:

The first thing to be careful of is the structure of the Tomtom folders which need to be copied onto the mini-sd. Ensure that the folders '2577', 'tomtom', 'ttmobile', and your map folder are separate and each in the root directory of the card.

With the latest updated tomtom.exe (1.15mb as opposed to 1.0mb), I did not need to rename the GPS receiver. It seems this update allows you to use any compatible device.

You need to go into the windows directory and run the 'BTSerialPortSetup.exe' file and tick the boxes for inbound and outbound ports. Mine are defaulted to 6 & 7 respectively.

After these settings the devices bonded no problem and TT works like a dream.

Also noticed when driving that the scrolling is much quicker and smoother, a big improvment on the PPC version I had been using until now.

Guest sameerabedi

The zip file i downloaded from www.pocketgpsworld.com doesn't have uk_mobile or uk_specs and i only loaded the .ov2 (+ corresponding .bmp) files as was written in a earlier post. Do I need to copy the .csv files as well?

Guest pete1312
The zip file i downloaded from www.pocketgpsworld.com doesn't have uk_mobile or uk_specs and i only loaded the .ov2 (+ corresponding .bmp) files as was written in a earlier post. Do I need to copy the .csv files as well?

The zip file should include all 4 ov2 files + bmp's. No, you don't use the csv files.

Guest awarner [MVP]
After reading this thread, I decided to take the plunge and bought a Pretec Bluetooth GPS today.

What was wrong with your supplied gps unit that you had when you bought TomTom Mobile?