TomTom Mobile Review & How2 Guide Now for C500

Guest awarner

Guest simontan1

What was wrong with your supplied gps unit that you had when you bought TomTom Mobile?

I bought the software from Ebay without a GPS unit, and could not find a stand alone version of the tomtom receiver here in Switzerland....

Ok so I finally got TOMTOM through the post yesterday and within 20 mins it was working great on my c500 I have loaded te speed camera databases in and went on a few journeys and it was working perfectly.

My battery died on my phone last night at a party so I got home charged it up jumped in the car and started up tomtom.

Now it doesn't want to work at all it says it can't find a GPS signal I left it for 30 mins and still no signal, so I took it back inside and followed the instructions on page 1 of this thread, deleted the partnership disabled com 7 (already was) started tomtom again (no beep or warning though after 2 mins) so I just shut it off and turned it back on again fired up tomtom and exactly the same. I checked in the devices in my bluetooth settings and the tomtom GPS wasn't there.

so now after a few turning on, turning off resinstalling the patch attempts I deleted the entire tomtom folder off the card and coped it back onto it. Next time when I started tomtom it went through all the settings again language, miles, voice etc it's now been on for 15 mins but no signal, the gps unit is now showing in the devices though and I have applied the patch again.

I don't understand how it can work perfectly then stop after the phone has been turned off for a few hours.

The green light is flashing on the GPS unit all the time so it does have a signal.

can anyone help?

Guest sameerabedi

The zip file should include all 4 ov2 files + bmp's. No, you don't use the csv files.

The zip file only contain uk_gatso and uk_redlight. However on a longer journey yesterday it did detect most of the speed cameras. I think the camera database is just no up-to-date - about 3yrs out of date since some of the cameras that I drove past and it didn't detect have definitely been there for more than 3yrs!!

Anyway, it's only a minor gripe! It's still a amazing piece of kit!

Guest awarner [MVP]

Stern, turn off the GPS unit then make sure that it is not listed in

the BT list on the phone.

Restart the phone and turn on the GPS unit, now start TomTom and

wait for aproximately two minutes. You should see the GPS unit flash blue and TomTom should ask to reboot the phone.

Once it does reboot the phone and TomTom should now work ok.

Guest the_ugly_north

I have just received mine and have been playing around with it. Apart from not picking up my street (house is 2 years old and neither multimap, autoroute nor streetmap recognise it) it is *brilliant*. It took 10 mins to set up on my C500 and I have tested it for ~150 miles and it has been really amazing. What impresses me is that when I take a shortcut (which I know about) it takes 2-3 secs to refigure out the route. Best of all it takes me the way I would normally go.

Only negative. Why a magnetic backing? Last time I looked most car dashboards were plastic..... :lol: :D

Guest pete1312
The zip file only contain uk_gatso and uk_redlight.

I suggest you try downloading the zip file again. I can assure you that it contains the 4 uk ov2 files I've already mentioned, plus a fifth continental one!

They are all identified by the TomTom red hand icon.

Guest awarner [MVP]
Only negative. Why a magnetic backing? Last time I looked most car dashboards were plastic.....  :lol:  :D

Are you sure it's magnetic? The unit I have has a black antislip backing so it can sit on the dash without sliding around.

Guest awarner [MVP]

Er, why?

If the software and packaging are original it sounds like the seller is pulling a fast one by keeping the GPS unit and possibly a copy of the application, they are then selling the software only which under EULA

they are possibly not alowed to do.

Guest pete1312

Are you sure it's magnetic? The unit I have has a black antislip backing so it can sit on the dash without sliding around.

The retail version is very heavily magnetic! Velcro or similar stick pads would have been more sensible. Having said that, yes, the back padding is also "reasonably" slip-proof, but certainly not fool-proof!

Guest timalloy6711

every one here is very helpful and I thank you all. I still have niggling doubts over buying tom tom mobile coz I can't seem to get a definitive answer if the E200 can connect to multiple bluetooth devices(so i can use jabra whilst driving and tom tom at the same time time.) Here is an answer I got from a retailer who sells tomtom mobile....can anyone expand?

"Its an excellent system however we have seen reports of an issue with most

mobile phones that they can only allow the Blue tooth connection to be used

with one device at any given time and tomtom uses the connection full time.

I'm not aware of a way to make it switch to find the headset when you get a

call and switch back again.

The issue is the mobiles ability to join a bluetooth piconet and talk to

more than one device, PDA's also have the same issue sadly. The tom tom

website answer a question here -

http://www.tomtom.com/support/rightnow.php...ew_search=&p_se

arch_type=&p_search_text=bluetoth _ but I think this relates to if you were

using a wired hands free not a bluetooth one.

It may work but personally I wouldn't risk the £175 if finding you can't use

the headset means you feel you've wasted the cash.

I'd say go with tomtom go if you can find the cash its the best thing I've

tested, we've currently got the Navman icn510 on test and the TomTom go

walks all over it.

anyhow hope this helps and hope you enjoy lordpercy.com"

LP

www.lordpercy.com

Guest the_ugly_north

Awarner. It is definately magnetic (it sticks to the fridge and the outside of the car).

I have stuck some velcro to the bit in the middle which has the EU conformity thing on it and stuck the other part of the velcro to the dashboard. Works a treat.

Guest awarner [MVP]

I checked mine and found it was also magnetic :lol:

I do have a ruberised non slip base though and it sits on the dash

without moving unless you take a hard corner.

Guest timalloy6711

this has been very educational and i want to thank ev1 involved I have oredered TTM and can't wait to go as I drive a lot to appointments at addresses I have never been to...tiime to chucj the well thumbed Edinburgh and Glasgow A-Zs BTW This would have been great for me in the early 90s when I worked in West London...jeez that was hell! good luck ev1

cheers

Guest pete1312

Does anyone on here have a metallic dash? I certainly don't.

Who wants to take their fridge with them in the passenger seat when they go "navigating"??

Obviously some weird quirk of The Netherlands!!

We bought the PDA version recently at work, and like you say, it comes with a rubber back and is also magnetic. BUT, ours came with a sticky backed metallic plate that you apply to the dash where ever you want, and the unit then stays firmly attached.

Since no ones mentioned this yet, it sounds like the smartphone version either doesn't come with it, or they have forgotten to package it.

I suggest you contact them and ask why you get the plate with the PDA version but not this one. I'd be interested in the reply.

Guest pete1312

I tend to agree that they have simply omitted to package it. Magnetic stick-on strips are however widely available, and I certainly can't be bothered (is that the right word?) to ask TT why they missed it out!

Yes - one should obviously have been included.

Stern, turn off the GPS unit then make sure that it is not listed in

the BT list on the phone.

Restart the phone and turn on the GPS unit, now start TomTom and

wait for aproximately two minutes. You should see the GPS unit flash blue and TomTom should ask to reboot the phone.

Once it does reboot the phone and TomTom should now work ok.

cheers for that it's working ok now

Guest sameerabedi

For those of u with TomTom Traffic - any reviews as to how well it works and whether it worth paying for and does it really help improve journey times?

Guest awarner [MVP]
For those of u with TomTom Traffic - any reviews as to how well it works and whether it worth paying for and does it really help improve journey times?

If you are doing long journeys with city routes etc then it is worth having, the advantage is that it gives you warning of possible delays so

you can decide wether to avoid the delay or not.