TomTom Mobile Review & How2 Guide Now for C500

Guest awarner

And just to annoy everybody who has just invested in TTM - tomtom have just released details of TTM version 5 :lol:. Check out www.tomtom.com or www.pocketgps.co.uk for more details...

Guest pete1312

For anyone who has recently downloaded the new "Spoken Warnings for POI alerts" from pocketgpsworld.com, you may be interested to learn that they have now increased the volume of these sounds.

Just download the updated data.chk file from their site. (Full instructions are on the site).

Guest Stub101

Ive just got TTM today and thanks to the instructions on here, got it all setup in about 1/2 hour on my C500.

Only thing I cant get working is the speed camera database. Ive put it in the GB maps folder but I cant select them from the POI menu!!! I thought I had done everything as stated on here..... but it appears not!

Edited by Stub101

Only thing I cant get working is the speed camera database. Ive put it in the GB maps folder but I cant select them from the POI menu!!! I thought I had done everything as stated on here..... but it appears not!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Make sure you have put them in the folder and not in a sub-folder.

Guest Stub101
Make sure you have put them in the folder and not in a sub-folder.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

At the moment in the 'Great-Britain-Map' folder I have 17 files which include all of the 'pocketgps_uk_....' and 'Speed_Trap....' files. I then have a folder named 'speed zoned' with 2 further sub-folders of 'gatso' and 'mobile'

Does this sound about right? as nothing appears when I go to add POI!!!

[EDIT] Apologies - I think I didnt copy 1 file over again, which was the reason for it not working.

Thanks for all the help

Edited by Stub101

Guest beginner

Hi all,

I have just received my TTM - whopee. I have transferred the files into the root of my 256MD MiniSD card and have been reading this thread trying to figure out what I do next. As the thread is so long I am going to have to ask again. Sorry, I know its in the thread somewhere but I have tried finding it, if only you could see the full thread rather than having to click next page - 28 times !!!

Anyway my questions are: -

1. After having transferred the files, how do I install TTM onto my C500. Do I run the Autorun file in the 2577 folder or one of the 2 exe files in the TomTom folder ? or do I need to create a shortcut to one of the files !!!

2. After having installed it, I presume I have to run the patch found in the ttm_sp[1].zip I downloaded. Do I run the setup.exe file in this zip direct from my PC or copy to phone and run from there.....OR extract both files onto folder in pc and run from there !!!

3. Next I would like to add the speed cameras - I download the latest zip (pocketgps_uk_sc[1].zip) from pocketgps.co.uk and copy all .OV2 and .BMP files to the Great Britain folder ? What about the .wav files ?

4. Lastly, I am not sure whether I have to do anything to the COM ports to get it to work with the GPS receiver. Currently my both COM6 and 7 are 'unticked'. Should they remain 'unticked' - and for future ref does ticked = enable and unticked = disable ?

Quick response and help appreciated. Once again apologies for repeat.

Guest beginner

Due to lack of reply I couldn't wait any longer and I launched TTM using the TomTom.exe file in the TomTom folder.

Got through the initial questions about language and voice then software had problems finding a map, so couldn't complete launch.

Please help.

Guest beginner

This is a piss take. I'm sorry but 28 pages of posts and I still can't suss out what the f to do. Come on. I installed th update which has just added another Tom Tom folder to the root of my storage card containing another TomTom.exe, **gps.exe and data.chk file. What the f ? Come on guys....help !!

Guest hferdina
Hferdina, what have you done ?  and what is it not doing ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Copied the directories: 2577, System, TomTom, Benelux Navigator Map to the root of my mini sdcard.

Installed the update ttm_sp.

Activated my bluetooth serial port (ONLY 1!) and paired with my TFAC BT-30 and renamed it to TomTom Wireless GPS

Turned the phone off and on. Started TomTom. Configured it (Voice etc) and waited...................waited..................waited............

TomTom told me no gps device found.

Tried the same as above without turning off the phone.

Hope you can help

Guest hferdina

It works with the tomtom bluetooth gps. But the TFAC is better. Works from the glovecompartment also.

I was asked to do some testing for somebody selling gps devices for pda's. He is thinking of selling them to smartphones owners to.

Just anticipating customer questions.

Personally I think the advice should be: wait for tomtom 5. That version will support more gps devices

Guest awarner [MVP]

There is no difinitive compatable GPS list for TTM as it was only designed to work with TomTom's own GPS unit so it can only be a matter of trial and error.

Can TTM send voice commands through a Bluetooth headset? Bought one today because it was half price (and shiny :lol:) but a quick test driving home didn't send any voice commands to the headset.

I used the bundled C500 handsfree which was great, but the wire gets in the way.

ta

[edit] looked through (most of) the thread but couldn't find a way to get it going. Am I out of luck?

Edited by Guest

Guest awarner [MVP]

To get TTM working on the C500 just follow the instructions on page one of this thread and as for moving to a miniSd just copy exactly what you see on the MMS card.

Guest RobertCeuppens

Cheers, sorted it now :lol: I was doing it wrong... I had Tom Tom on my E200 now its great to have it on the C500! The best Smartphone app so far I reckon.

Guest pmeletti

Right,

I have read through all 29 pages of posts again...

Unfortunatly as I asked before, there is NO mention of the error I state. I cant even get into the TT app. When I launch it is says "Failed to start".

Does anyone know if the data on the card is updated when run in different types of haandsets, as I have run it on my 6600 and it works fine (ie are any files changed??) If so and I susspect this is the case, do you know which are changed and in what way so I can change them back to get TT to work on my C500.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...
Guest TheDon

TomTom seems to store a list of all the places i have searched for!!

Is there a way of deleting this list!! :?:

Edited by TheDon

• 2 weeks later...
Guest chazzer
TomTom seems to store a list of all the places i have searched for!!

Is there a way of deleting this list!!  :?:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There's a file named Great-Britain-Maps.cfg (in the Great-Britain-Map folder at the root of memory card) the date\time stamp for it changes everytime you use TTM and it contains all the previous routes\journeys, because when I deleted it TTM was set back to default settings with no list of previously visited places (also I opened it using notepad on my PC and in amongst the "code characters" were the places I had searched for). Unfortunately it also seems to contain all the other TTM personalisation settings you may have.

:D