SMARTLocator.GPS & the World-Tracker.com Service

Guest nickcornaglia

Guest nickcornaglia

wt01.gif

If you have a Smartphone and a GPS device, then odds are that you also have a mapping program to go along with it. But whether you do or don't, SMARTLocator.GPS is a pretty cool application in many ways. It allows users, after establishing a GPS fix, to upload their location to the World-Tracker website (via GPRS or SMS) where you can then recall a map that will show your current location right on your phone via Pocket Internet Explorer. This part of the program is ideal for those without a mapping program...

...but that's just the beginning.

The phone application itself will allow you to see your current speed as well as provides a user configurable alarm that will alert you when you go over a pre-defined speed. On screen information also shows your latitude and longitude.

In development, users will also be able to pull Hotels and Restaurant information around your current area based on your GPS position.

What interested me most is the current ability to upload your current location and then post that information onto a website. javascripts are provided that allow users to post links, buttons, or a jpg image showing your latest uploaded location. You can also define custom Points of Interest and custom alerts, emailing others of your location changes. The site also provides an RSS feed of individuals' location history.

This is fun on it's own, if you don't mind broadcasting to the world where you are at any time, but will also be useful for companies that need to know where their off-site employees are at any time; people who want to monitor their kid's whereabouts...the possibilities are endless. Futire functionality is planned that will allow firends & family to show multiple locations on a single map.

Makes me anxious for the day when GPS transmitters AND receivers are built into Smartphones. (I don't fear Big Brother!) :)

The program is currently in a free beta...

To view a demo or participate in the beta, goto http://www.world-tracker.com

The developer and Modao Member, netcetera (very clever .NET programmer name) is extremely open and responsive to bug reports and recommendations.

More screenshots are included in the next post of this thread.

Guest metalpro

A project like this one was the first thing I wanted to build when the compact framework was supported for the smartphone platform.

Now I need to find another scope..;-)

Guest mavisdavis

It's Buggy, Very buggy.

Doesn't like to use passthrough on the phone to send off your posistion. it keeps crashing the phone. Gonna try various thing now report back later

Guest nickcornaglia

The only bugs I've found so far (and I'm not sure if they're bugs) is that it disconnects the GPS to upload the data, then reconnects again when done. The author says it should be able to handle both connection simultaneously and is looking into it.

The other is sometimes, on initial use, you have to stop the GPS connection and restart the connection to get a GPS fix. I'm not sure if this is my GPS device or the program though.

I have never tried to upload via passthru because I cant get a GPS signal in my home anyway.

Guest mavisdavis

I tried pass through because I wasn 't going out in the car for while, but on traveling I tried to upload my data and it crashed the phone ( battery removal).

Ive tried a number of times reconnecting Fortuna BT Clipon then phone and vice verser in various orders but it still crashes. It finds the device and give a grid reference , all the menus run fine untill i select Send>GPRS then it goes AWOL.

Its just a bit unstable on my phone to test it fully I'll wait untill its next release.

I'm runningt he latest orange rom for what it's worth.

I might do a hard reset to see if that cures the problem but plaese keep on top of this as it looks ace :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest fozzie

Just been trying this on my C500 with Fortuna BT Clipon. Getting the same as mavisdavis - everything ok until I upload position. Position is uploaded ok but then phone locks up; a Soft-reset is then needed.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.