C500 Screen Shake

Guest misterfood

Guest misterfood

Has anyone had an issue whereby (in direct sunlight), the display of the C500 appears to "shimmer" and you get wavy horizontal lines appearing and disappearing on the screen? They seem to subdue when you move the phone out of direct sunlight.

Is this a "feature" of these phones or do I have a dud screen?

Thanks!

Guest chucky.egg

Yeah, I get the shimmering on some homescreens - I always put it down to either power-saving (it seems more obvious after the screen has gone off and come back on)

Guest scwaudby

I get this too, again it seems to be either when in direct sunlight or when the backlight is off (just gone off or if you hit a key with the keylock on). I was considering asking them about it in the Orange shop where I got the phone but I could guarantee it souldn't happen if I tried to show them

Guest mavisdavis

Dont forget these screen have a reflective layer between the eliments so as the currant passes throungh the tft screen it can be seen when angled right to the sun :wink:

That what I think it is... But what do I know :?:

Guest scwaudby

That would make sense, certainly when I notice it on mine it varies quite a lot as I tilt the phone back and forth which would seem to tie in. It's not really an issue and it's easy enough to ignore if it's just a feature of the type of screen.

It's a kind of 'warm-up' effect that happens, on my phone it usually stabalises after a couple of seconds, when using mostly the backlight. In bright sun it is *just* about still visible.

Guest zippy172

What you can see "shimmering" is the LCD pixels multiplexing... Absolutely nothing to worry about, nor indeed is a fault of the display. Without that effect, the display simply would not work... ALL LCD's do it, to differing degrees dependant mainly on two things, multiplex frequency and temperature.