BitStream releases ThunderHawk 2.0

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul [MVP]

The official announcement of ThunderHawk 2.0 for Enterprise, Smartphone and Pocket PC can be found here, and the Smartphone download page can be found here.

This version DOES APPEAR TO WORK ON 2003 DEVICES (just tested on my C500) :)

Edit: Having problems logging in on my C500 now :lol:

animated_thhome.gif

Guest darren22

Just loaded the trial on my original SPV Classic (yeah I know still debating between the C500 and MPX220).

Absolutely fantastic, can now access many more websites. :)

I have a work site which updates me with work which I can access.

Downloads also seem very fast.

Guest darren22

Coming across a few problems now. Phone keeps on opening GPRS connection.

Its just done its again :?

I think I will remove for the time being. Also note that they charge per month/year.

Guest Sonicr360

Just a quick short review of the product using SPV E100.

First, install was easy, following the instructions on site.

Second, registration was a problem. Upon starting it did NOT start up a GPRS connection. I launched MSN Messenger and then re-registered.

Third, its very very very good! I love the split screen and in fact it does seem to load FASTER than the built in IE browser.

I could not see a way of actually closing down the program, so I just pressed the HANG UP key and went back to the home screen.

I relaunched the app again and worked straight away. Went to a different site in case it had cached my previous pages.

Very good indeed!!

Simon

Guest darren22

Sonicr360

Keep an eye on your GPRS connection, after I had use the programme for the first time and quit it, the Thunderhawk twin arrrows appeared over the signal bar.

My phone also seemed to slow down quite a bit.

Other than that an excellent product, vastly superior to PIE.

Guest Sonicr360

Hi

What phone did you say you had? I have been keeping an eye on this and for the past hour it has not dialled up at all. In fact, only seems to dial if I connect :)

Guest dearsina

Ok, ok, so a bit of investigation can't hurt anybody:

If you are thinking of trying it out, consider this: ThunderHawk is a serious contender to both IE and the yet to be released Opera for MS Mobile.

Quick install:

1. Grab the .cab file from the link above.

2. Move the file over to your phone and run it via SmartExplorer to install.

3. Start some kind of internet connection via GPRS (ie. open a browser window in Internet Explorer) BEFORE you open ThunderHawk or all hell breaks loose.

4. Fire up ThunderHawk and register for browsing galore.

It's a pretty sweet piece of kit, haven't used it exencively yet though, but will within the upcoming days. It doesn't display Flash by the way, so still work to be done on the browser side... :-)

sina

london

ps. What's up with the ultra-patriotic name? Sounds like something the Bush-administration named.

Guest zwarthoed.

:shock: I may be the only one but I have got a lot of problems with this programm :cry:

First it really start up slowly, it takes almost a minute (with my c500) to load. :)

Second my phone is hanging after using the programm and start it again.(or just after the first start up)

For the rest it is a very good programm but faaar too expensive (for dutch people :wink: )

It looks to me that it is a good programm for Orange to increase their data sales, so they should built it in the phone.

Does anyone know why this is such an expensive programm ?

Guest dearsina

I'm starting to wonder if they actually cache the webpages some how, it's the only reason why they would want a subscription based fee structure, that and greed of course. Anybody else able to shed some light on this matter? It's a pretty good software, the navigation and speed could improve a bit, but all in all they are on to something.

sina

london

you have to subscribe because you use thier server, you connect to thier server and when you request a webpage thier server compresses it etc and then transmits...this means quicker downloads for us on GPRS. Has anyone actually got it working fully on thier c500 yet?

Guest dearsina

Interesting.

Yes, it works like a charm on my C500. A bit slow at times though. And it's difficult to see whether the page is loading or not, but it's working.

sina

london

Guest kurtfhouse

I like the software and it works well compared to IE but I think I pay enough on subscription to Orange without signing up to other stuff. O.k I know its only a few quid but all these things start to add up.

I would be more than happy to make a one of purchase of the software but because of te way it works its not likely to be sold that way, ah well.

Guest battletank
I like the software and it works well compared to IE but I think I pay enough on subscription to Orange without signing up to other stuff. O.k I know its only a few quid but all these things start to add up.

For heavy web users, the idea is that you actually save money by using it - the subscription charge should, in theory at least, be less than the money saved by reducing your bandwidth costs to Orange. At around £2.30/month for Thunderhawk, it costs approximately the same as between 1 and 2 Mb (depending on your tariff) - if it averages 50% compression, then anyone who uses more than 4Mb of web service a month is likely to benefit.

Guest kurtfhouse

Battletank, I stand corrected :oops:

I still don't think I would benefit though as I don't use the web much on the phone, I don't really need it on the hop.

Sounds good for heavy users though :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.