C500 vs SDA vs SDA Music - what's the point?

Guest Dark Horse

Guest Dark Horse

Do the C500, SDA and SDA Music all share the same hardware and hence the same faults? Or to put it another way, why is HTC releasing the SDA and SDA Music if they both contain the same gaming and multiple keypress problems as the C500? Wouldn't it make sense to fix these hardware issues first instead of just releasing the same old phone with dodgy hardware?

The SDA is being touted as a gaming mobile. Nice one, pity a lot of games won't work because there's a glitch in the firmware. And the SDA Music? What's the point if the supplied software is crap! Windows Media Player is hardly a stallion in the MP3 player world and who on earth would wanna buy a top-class smartphone with substandard software? Forget about installing better/smarter MP3 players, if you buy a mobile with dedicated audio controls, you shouldn't have to then go out and buy the software for it as well.

I think the C500 is a great moby and head and shoulders above anything currently available but I do wish Microsoft would pay attention to detail and sort out the small things that I miss from the Nokia handsets.

Guest midnight

i think its more a case of different hardware for different carriers. The SDA and SDA Music are exclusive to T-Mobile, as far as i know the SP3i is a version of the SDA, but isnt identical. And the C500 seems to be one that many carriers are going for. So, even though the hardware is essentially the same, its different carriers with different models (as far as i'm aware, the Feeler will never be released by Orange)

As for the SDA Music, we dont know what additional software it has yet, but i for one am quite happy with windows media player, so it hasnt got fast forward, it doesnt bother me, i never fast forward music tracks anyways, and it supports playlists, which is fine by me. Ok, it isnt perfect, theres lots that could be done to make it better, but that doesnt mean its terrible at playing music (i actually prefer wmp to the likes of pocketmusic)

Also you're forgetting that it will have a different firmware as it's being written by a different carrier, and the HTC portion will be newer. Hopefully T-Mobile will be better at writing firmware than Orange. Also, in my opinion the SDA looks far far better than the C500, and I much prefer the joystick on it. It's just a shame I have another 8 months on my e200 contract before I can switch to T-Mobile or upgrade my handset, by which time there will most likely be another phone out.

Guest Dark Horse

Thanks for that, very useful info! So different carriers have their own firmware and thus the software may or may not be different. How would it work in the case of hardware issues though? Reading through the mutiple key press problem thread, it mentioned that this is a hardware issue and can't be fixed by a firmware or software upgrade.