EXCLUSIVE UPDATE: Orange UK Network will NOT have the MPX220

Guest ndiqbal123

Guest ndiqbal123

I have some very sad news. I have spoke to upgrades at Orange. When speaking to the upgrades department. I asked about the MPX220. The department advised that they will not be carrying the MPX220, because it has lots of bugs on it.

here are a few:-

1) Phone keep crashing and re-boots

2) This also happens when keying in '1'

3) Camera quality not improved

4 The main issue is that when sending MMS this send it 10-15 times, which means the user (Customer) will have to pay for the MMS.

The Upgrades Department also advised that it has been wiped of their system.

I hope this is a loads of crap, and Orange will launch this phone. If you have more info please post here...........

:cry: :oops: :cry: :!:

Guest Mark0824

I have had a MPX220 forabout 3 weeks and I have been using it as my primary cell phone. I have never had 1 crash or re-boot with the phone. The phone I have does not have the final ROM but close (I will be getting the final one next week).

I never had any any problems with the 1 key. It is fine for typing, dialing and using it to call voicemail.

Camera qulaity is on par with 640x480 as of my current ROM. I dont care much about the camera but I would expect some imporvment in final ROM.

I have no issues sending MMS or SMS using T-Mobile. This kind ofproblem is more of a problems with the way Oranges system is handling the messages. The RF is really good on this phone.

I am impressed with this phone. It is exaclty what I was looking for in a phone (except there is no bluetooth dialing). I wanted a smartphone flip phone (had a samsung i600, SPV e200, Nokia 7610) and the MPX 220 is what I am looking for.

I would not be so quick to dismiss the mpx 220 with Orange. How many times have you or any of us tlaked with someone in the Customer Serveice, Tech or Upgrades area that gave us wrong information?

Mark

I have had a MPX220 forabout 3 weeks.

what happend then? you droped it for what? why?

all i can say: i've had it too and its far away from c500/sda. latest news says that the rom improved nothing, the actual version faces the same issues regarding the bluetooth sucking the battery empty in less then a day and the camera is still a joke compared to what the c500/sda camera does.

cheers, lutz

Guest Anonymous

I know that the MPX220 is available, but I spoke to Orange (UK) who have said they will not have this phone....

So if you are on Orange and waiting for the MPX220 (like me) u might aswell get the c500

Guest Anonymous

I dropped a Nokia 7610 to use the MPX 220. I still use the MPX 220. The bluetooth does suck battery life but so did the nokia dn the e200 I had.

The camera is mediocore. I dount there can be much done about this. I have heard from people who have the new ROM (I will be geting it next week so I can let you know if anything is improved) that the battery life is improved. I am not sure about bluetooth battery performance. The only time I sue bluetooth is my car and I keep the phone plugged in so not to drain the charge.

The c500 and ther new SDA's look good. The only problem I have is I do not like candybar smartphones. I don't use carrying case for it so I either have it in my hand or pocket and this usally results in me hitting some buttons. I prefer the flip. Dont have to worry about hitting random buttons or locking then unlockingthe phone.

Plus the phone is quad band. Being in the US this is a big help. I can move it between T-mobile, ATT and Cingular.

This is the phone I have been looking for since my i600. It will not be for everyone.

Mark

Thanks for your comments Mark, good to hear an even handed review of the handset as it is at the mo. Not just a 'this phone rules, C500 sucks.'

Who knows, maybe they'll be able to sort most of the problems. But for me it's too big, I just don't need quad band.

I must admit that I still mourn the MPX100, even though it would have been bigger then the C500. Just gonna have to console myself with the SDA :)

Guest beersoft

hmm,

it must have been a quick desicion as they had the mpx220 at the orange code camp in france a few weeks ago, and have been testing it for months i've heard.

and when have orange upgrades known anything about what phones are coming out?????? anyone ask them about the C500 on release day? 90% of them didn't know what the c500 was let alone that it was available in the shops.

later

Owen

I personally wouldnt believe everything you hear from upgrades. When I first tried to order my upgrade M1000 i was told that 'Orange do not stock a NOKIA M1000' Took me ages to convince the guy that the did stock M1000 and that they were made by HTC! :)

Guest Anonymous

I have an i-mate SP3 on the way in a week and it will give me a great chance to compare the two. Who knows, might really like the i-mate and drop the mpx220(can sell it for a good bit on eBay).

It looks like a very good little phone. Everyone has there hot buttons when it comes to hpones. Some people want voice dial, or good camera qaulity, or internet etc.

I dont think you can go wrong with the C500, MPX220 (when it comes out) or the onslaught of other smartphones coming to a store near you.

MArk

Guest Underdog_2k

I've spoken with a couple of orange shops and they all say it'll arrive soon. Only price is unsure.

And as far as the phone goes, never heard the same problems before. Boot problems, etc camera was allready a known problem. and mms sould be such a big problem to solve.

I've spoken with a couple of orange shops and they all say it'll arrive soon.

Ahh soon, that well known time :) See if you can coerce a specific date from one :-$ (all sneaky tactics allowed)

Guest ndiqbal123

Hi Dade

When I fist heard that Orange (UK) will not stock the phone due to all the problems with the handset, I could not beleive it... I'm due an upgrade which was the 3rd of Sep, and was waiting for this phone, but as it is not comming to the Orange network. Which phone do you think would be the next best thing?

I dont want the the C500, because it just a cheap version of Smart phone.

I think Orange have pulled a fast one with Moto, because they want Orange customers to take on the c500, Orange knowing that some customers are waiting for the Moto MPX220.... Clever Ba***rds...

Please add your feeling here.....................................

I cant say that I'm much of a fan of the C500 either. I know that a lot of people love it and I can see why and respect that, but I had one for about a week and hated it. The joypad really got on my nerves.

I have an M1000 and really like that. Sure its a bit big but thats one of the reasons I like it, its got a nice big screen and I use it (Obviously) as more than just a phone.

If you aren't put off by the size of the M1000 then you might want to wait and check out the M2000 when that becomes available.

According to my source at O, one of the reasons that they are not going to carry the Mpx220 is that it was supposed to be targeted at business but many business customers are putting pressure on Orange to release decent phones WITHOUT cameras as these pose security risks. This fact on top of the problems with the Mpx220's OS issues was enough to bury the 220, apparently...

Guest live4life

Sorry guys, but I'm afraid it's true and we're being cheated out of the Mpx 220 by Orange. I'm an Orange employee myself and I've gone quite a few steps up the ladder to find out the story behind the Mpx220 but it seems that indeed it has been canceled.... Guess it's time for a new job :roll:

great.. just great... now i've gotta have a crappy 'Can't play games on me' c500 complete with dust under the screen and no multi-press... :x

cheers orange, great job you guys are doing.

I guess this means ill be putting a stop to my £75 a month contract that I've had with them for 3 years now. :roll:

Anyone wanna join me in emailing orange to tell them how good a decision this is? (<sarcasm )

Guest Anonymous

Right, Im off orange.. not renewing my contract . I have a Mpx200 and its a great phone, love the clamshell design. However, its a bit dated now, so I was just waiting for the 220 to arrive. But if this story is true, then I guess i will just switch networks...

The next problem is.... are any UK operators going to carry the Mpx220!!

otherwise, Im gonna have to dump the Microsoft platform altogether, which I really dont want to do....

Guest flashflash
Right, Im off orange.. not renewing my contract . I have a Mpx200 and its a great phone, love the clamshell design. However, its a bit dated now, so I was just waiting for the 220 to arrive. But if this story is true, then I guess i will just switch networks...

The next problem is.... are any UK operators going to carry the Mpx220!!

otherwise, Im gonna have to dump the Microsoft platform altogether, which I really dont want to do....

sorry the above post was me... :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

I forgot to log in... I thought you couldnt post here unless you were a guest.. oh well

I've seen it advertised in Carphone Warehouses Coming Soon section, but i expect that just to be Sim free..

I've also seen a number of sites saying 02 and Voda will be carrying it, so hopefully its true, maybe orange will surprise us all thou and actually release it :) - I hope its not gonna share the same fate as the MPX100 and get cut alltogether....

Besides, software problems never stopped them carrying any other phones before (oringal SPV, even the c500 has its GAPI issue which orange were aware of when it was released, (let alone the hardware, keypress issues)). I think it is because orange want to shift as many c500s as possible, and know the mpx220 will completely kill the c500s sales...

Guest Anonymous

I'm really sorry to bring the bad news (FIRST), but I read all the post on this site and all the Mods have good contact with Orange!!! (Testing the latest phone (FREE), Can the big guys please post, and tell us the real reason why Orange (UK) will NOT be launching the new MPX220?

My thoughts

----------------

Orange have spent allot of money on the C500 (Orange brand) (No frills)

Their rather get rid of this phone before another smartphone pops out.

Also know the contact users who have a SPV would have read these forums and are waiting for the MPX220. So they advise their customers that they will not launch the phone due to technical problems with the phone (BULL S*IT)

If any other UK networks takes the phone on and promotes it well, I think O2, Voda and T-mobile will do well, which are also bringing out better deal/offers...... Looks like Orange will be going down hill :)

OR Could this mean that Orange are investing more money on the latest G3 phones, to kick start the new Video phoning?

Final - Has Modaco is the biggest (one of the) smartphone forum on the net, and knowing that the big guys at Orange are also checking what is posted on these forums, we should get a petition out (or something), or ask them the reasons why Orange have cancelled this excellent phone?

Please add you comments here...............................