Car Charger

Guest Mark0824

Guest Zillion
Here they are.

As you can see pins 4 and 5, as well as being connected together, are also soldered to the shield. This probably breaks some USB rules, but since this cable only works as a charger now, I don't care.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

tx a lot Rick!

Been trying to get me a car charger for the c500 cuz when I use tomtom on my c500 the battery gets empty pretty fast. Lucky I had a 2nd cable from my Trust USB card reader. I used the c500 cable cuz that 1 showed the pins better. Took me over an half hour to get it done, but now it works :)

Saves me 20 euros, an extra adapter in my car, and besides that the Orange shops here dont have it the original car charges anyways in stock all the time.

I use the sigarette plugo from my Adapt Bluetooth GPS. Maybe the ampere and voltage differ a bit, since the 220 volt adapters state Output 5.15v - 1A (c500) versus 5.3v - 0.5 (adapt), but it all seems to work ok. :D

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BAZIL71
If you do want to do the mod you'll need a knife like in the pic to slice out the plastic from under the front of connectors 4 and 5 (two right-most contacts). It is then a fairly simple task to solder to contacts together as the solder won't go where there is still plastic. Don't put too much on though, just enough to make the link.

Tip: I found that slightly lifting the two contacts with the tip of the blade before applying the solder, then 'melting' them back into place, worked well.

Remember once you do this the C500 won't transfer data on this cable anymore (it will be in "I've been tricked into thinking that I'm charging from the mains adaptor, so I've no time for data on the line, leave me alone" mode). So if it's your only cable, don't do it!

Most people with a car charger will want to keep the cable in their car anyway I expect.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

U r great buddy...

Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

Hi all, you can get C500 car chargers from EBay for £1.50 (ex postage) and they work (also work with C550)

I did try to make my own but at this price it is not worth all the trouble.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest poleaxe

Hi All; my first post, though i've picked up some top info here - thanks guys an gals - you know who you are.

Been hoping to get straight led from car lighte to c500. have car lighter/adapter to usb (from gps charger) my original orange cable and nice short cable from my 20 gig archos ext. hard disk (charges orange snd syncs from usb on laptop fine).

Am looking at 'psp' car charger stuff at moment 'pelicanperformance' appear to have a lighter/charger usb adapter which charges to 'psp' they have cables sure, but they split the data and power (I think) Don't have a psp myself.

Having been through this thread, am i right in thinking that it is the lighter/charger to usb adapter that can't cut it or is it deffo a cable issue.

I don't mind doctoring my original orange cable, I don't mind paying a reasonable amount, but like you all I hate having to do it twice!!! Arrrggghhhh!!!

To those who’ve obtained a cable (straight please) that connects into adapter please let me know thanks. Could'nt find Martin Field's website.

Later! Doh! been trying to put an emoticon in here but!!!!!!