XML help needed!!

Guest Robsie71

Guest Robsie71

Hi there newbie alert lol :)

I have a couple of XML questions that you guys might be able to help with to assist in my first attempt at a homescreen.

1) Can you insert just text words in a particular position? guess you use a different tag to plugin?

2) When placing plugins in specific positions is it just a matter of specifying the 'X' and 'Y' values that you want the item to appear on the screen?

Thanks for the help.

Guest drfonz

Hi Robsie,

I'm not sure I understand your first question, but placing text within a plug-in is very much dependent on whether the plug-in supports it. If it does, you generally place the text with a tag (again dependent on the plug-in), and place it by using X, Y.

As for your second question, the actual vertical order in which plug-ins are displayed is dictated by the order in which you place the tags in the XML file. The X, Y attributes are also use to place items in certain positions within each individual plug-in. In other words, once a plug-in is placed somewhere, you can't get its contents to be displayed outside the plug-ins assigned space on the screen.

I hope that helps a bit.

Dr Fonz

Guest Robsie71

Thanks DrFonz think the penny has just dropped. If you want a plugin to be a certain way down the screen you have to put a height in the previous plugin.

Im used to just putting the item in a certain psoition using HTML.

Guest drfonz

No problem Robsie.

I did forget to mention that together with the order of the plugins in the XML file, you can play with the height attribute of each plugin so that each one appears just where you want it. But you've figured it out before I realised I forgot that bit of information, so that'll save me typing it.

Oh, wait I minute... I just did! Oh well, it's Saturday morning, you can't expect me to make any sense whatsoever :)

Cheers!

Dr Fonz

Guest Robsie71

Cheers DrFonz have sorted my screen so it looks how I want it to but an having a problem getting the Missed calls plugin to stay on the screen permanently. I have changed the Visible tag to be true rather than false but it doent sem to work.

Do you know how to keep it on the screen even when there are no missed calls?

Thanks for your help

Guest drfonz

Robsie,

my guess is that you're still using the "nocall" state, but the ones you need will be:

and don't have the "nocall" at all, because that would let the plugin think that you want to handle that state specifically, which you don't judging by what you're saying.

Perhaps someone else has a better suggestion, because I'm a plugin developer and not a homescreen developer!

Cheers!

Dr Fonz

Guest Robsie71

Thanks drFonz but that didnt seem to work, Guess I will have to live with it not being there!!!

Maybe it is not possible for the plugin to be visible with no calls.