[Review] - Orange Mobile Office 3G Data Card

Guest Monolithix

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Firstly an apology - I was not expecting to have to write this review so I had sent the card back by the time I realised I had to, therefore I have borrowed a few pics from the Orange site :)!

satellite.gif

Orange provided me and some of the other mods with one of their new 3G Laptop Data Cards to try out around the country. The card utilises the new Orange 3G network and supersedes their GPRS Card, allowing for high speed data access approaching broadband speeds on the move.

The kit comprises of a CD case containing the software and driver CD and a DVD case to hold the PCMCIA data card and 3G USIM card. Installation was simply a case of installing the software and inserting the USIM’d up data card.

datacardsoft.jpg

The card allows you to access email and SMS as you would with a normal mobile handset, and the USIM has a unique phone number as with any other SIM on the network. The interface is simple and well laid out, the row of buttons along the bottom giving easy access to each feature of the card: internet, SMS, e-mail, IM, etc. The only problem with the software was slightly unintuitive placement of the “connect” button, unlike all other buttons it was simply the text underneath the “Orange UK” network identification.

Connection is simple. The Orange website claims connection in 5 minutes, which was easily the case for me. After installing it required no configuration, just one click and a short wait while it connects. One slight annoyance with the software is its insistence on opening a new IE browser each time it connects, pointing at the Orange website. While this would be useful when having a consistent connection (and therefore only having to actually connect once), it soon became irritating when I was regularly reconnecting on the train – however more on that shortly.

While the card does have to capability to handle webmail and SMS messages, the focus of this review will stay on the 3G data capabilities.

The card itself has 3 “modes”, each signified by a different colour LED on the card antenna lump poking out the side of your laptop. Red for no coverage, green for 2.5G (GPRS) coverage and bright blue for 3G coverage.

I managed to travel a lot in the time I had the card, so had the opportunity to test it in Malvern, South Dorset, Reading and the train route from Reading back up to Malvern, and Stafford. The specific locations are fairly irrelevant – however it shows at the very least I was fairly thorough in the spread of locations where I tested its capabilities!

Generally the coverage was disappointing, the majority of the places I tested the card either had no 3G coverage whatsoever, or had coverage so weak that it regularly switched to 2.5G, and was unable to keep hold of the 3G signal. While the 2.5G coverage was stable when it was connected, it easily showed its limited bandwidth when trying to view any modern website. When the card did switch between 2.5 and 3G it was seamless, the only was of telling being the LED changing from blue to green (and obviously the browsing slowing down).

However, despite the issues with coverage, when the card had a strong 3G signal it flew! The first time it managed to connect I was shocked by the speed of which it was able to download files, easily pulling 300-400kbps. This capability was fantastic, and showed how much of an untapped resource 3G coverage is for data connections.

Browsing was obviously easy and fast, with IE churning out sites as quickly as my home broadband connection. File downloading was quick and consistant, and I was able to access e-mail, MSN messenger and IRC (you may have seen me coming and going at the Orange web chat last month!).

Overall performance of the card was fantastic, and if you live, work or regularly travel to an area with good coverage (check here) then the card will perform flawlessly, and more importantly, quickly :lol:.

Final Comment

Once the 3G coverage can match Oranges 2G network, this card will be amazing, and save us from all our disconnected-based woes while away from home!

Overall -

Pros:

VERY fast.

Easy to set up.

Lots more features than just 3G internet access

Cons:

Limited coverage

Top review and I apologise it never occurred to me to post any comments from using mine!

I have been using up a card and down the M4 corridor for a while and I have been impressed at the cards abilities, on the train or in a car I have managed to keep a 3G signal and work even at high speed mobility where you would expect the data rates to drop - the card even held a 3G signal when my orange phone drops voice calls!!

I have also tried using abroad but only out of interest and not in anger - I am told the USIM is enabled for international roaming but I have had no luck so far in Spain or Italy - however in fairness to Orange I have not pursued this with them yet as I did not need the card urgently - I will have another try at international roaming over the next couple of weeks.

I would also add that the card didn't seem to effect my PC battery life as much as I had expected and it has not yet caused me to rush for a power outlet.

In terms of handover, the card seems to have a real 'think' before switching from 3G to 2G which is fine for web browing or outlook but upsets my Intel VPN client sometimes - might not be a problem with others. This is not really a huge issue though as I can just reconnect as long as I am aware of it and is a small price to pay for being connected in the middle of nowhere whilst moving!

I run this card on an account with other orange phones and the main things that would really make a difference to me are to do with billing rather than functionality:

1) I would like to get international roaming data at a 'reasonable' price - given the amount of data being transferred now and that this product is made to be mobile I could not justify it long term if Roaming GPRS charges are still at around £10 /Mb - Ideally I would like the roaming to be included in my monthly Data Bundle. I can understand some premium for international roaming but not the differential that stands at the moment.

2) Data is Data - I would like to be able to pay for all my GPRS data (2.5 or 3G) in one place, the data price for the card is significantly less than that for my phones on the same account. I would like to pool the bundle that I use for that card and at least 1 phone, then no matter if I am using the web from my handset or on a data card it costs the same. (I have asked orange about this one and I am still in discussion but it doesn't seem to be getting anywhere).

Overall though a good and useful tool, if using in the UK only I think it is priced well compared to other technologies and even though I first purchased it half as 'a gadget' it has now become a necessary business tool that pays for itself.

Guest pisquee

I can't remember what to contract said about the NDA, as to how long it lasted. I am sure it is OK to speak now, as the trial is over and the serive and product have been launched and are available to the public to trial freely.

My personal view and the trial T's and C's say yo must not discuss anythign in relation to the trial and products. However my comments are based on using the commecial software and card purchased since the trial so I personally can't see a problem with that since anyone could go out and buy one and comment in the same way.

Guest pisquee

From my experience before and after the trial ...

Software and hardware installation was fine and had no problems.

Coverage was OK to good, when stationary. I do a lot of travelling on East Coast Mainline and Virgin Cross Country between Southampton and Darlington, and only really had signal when in major towns and in stations. Although I did have minimal signal all the time - not enough for any data throughput, though even though my phone had completely lost signal my data card managed to stay connected, and recover easily.

The software interface is a little wierd - I did suggest it would be easier to just have one connect button, rather than different connect buttons for different purposes, as I (and assume most people) will connect and then do email, IM, and websurfing at the same time, so having different connection buttons seems redundant.

Opening a new orange home page explorer window evertime you connect was very annoying ... and i am sure that i found an option to turn that feature off, or select another home page to display - I am sure that i turned it off, but it still kept appearing.

I did have some problems with getting my card account handed over from trials to my account once the trial had ended, and thanks must go to Kate from Orange Projects Team in Bristol for sorting that one out.

Guest dazza12

A very good review, and one I can agree with as I was also a triallist of the card.

Decided to sign up at the end of the trial, and not had any problems with it. Generally tend to use it in and around Somerset, often on the road (but not literally!).

It is amazing the speeds I can get sometimes. I'm sure that'll change as soon as the masses discover 3G though.

Guest siu99spj

Whilst its great to read about all the wizziness that is 3G, I'm happy enough to live with 2.5G until 4G comes out. Thats some REAL network technology.

[And unfortunately thats as much as I can say according to my NDA]

• 4 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.